Bonus/Salary Increase expected for PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took PE exam on April 2007. Right now my salary is $30K (so far). I expect to reach $50K or more with the 'pass' notification. I've been in the same company (roofing) for 11 years. My three bosses (owners) earn $250K EACH, extras not included (company cars, vacations, home remodeling paid by the company, etc..) If you think this is abusive, you are right. So, welcome to salvage capitalism! I don't think this guys give me more than $40K, so I began to send resumes to each and evey pharmaceutical company in my area.
I do not think you have an engineering job if you only make $30K. You should quit and become a teacher, you will get a pay raise and only have to work 9 months out of the year and only 40 hrs a week.

Can't get a GS-13 without a PE in the navy, at least in seabee-type commands. Why, I don't know, because PE stamps aren't required for work on federal property. Not that a state stamp would mean a whole heck of a lot...
It DOES look nice after your name, though, and garners professional respect! Right??? :blush:
AF working level is now GS-13 (it was 12 when I left in 1995), and a PE still isn't required.

It didn't get any respect in the gov, but I'm sure that is vastly different in te real world. I'm pretty sure I will get an ego boost from it.

I do not think you have an engineering job if you only make $30K. You should quit and become a teacher, you will get a pay raise and only have to work 9 months out of the year and only 40 hrs a week.
Try 11 months and 60 hour weeks. That's what my wife puts in, although she works in special ed.. Although she makes more than 30K, she sure doesn't make what her work is worth. : :blush: :

^^Agreed. Teachers get a bad rap. But evry teacher I know, and I know a lot, works longer hours than I do for less money. Special ed is particulary difficult, and you pretty much can't even get into it without an advanced degree, so these folks probably even spend more money than we do getting our PE, just to be paid less.

AF working level is now GS-13 (it was 12 when I left in 1995), and a PE still isn't required.
Working level for engineers was GS-11 at my last job (navy), with GS-12s being very easy to get; it's still a real promotion to GS-13. Man, would be nice to get a free grade increase!

Most of the salary increases I'm seeing in this post seem extremely high.

Either:

a) You live in an area with a very high cost of living and your salary is already a large number

B) You're not making much at all as an E.I. and they bump it up to get you where you should be when you pass the P.E.

or

c) The company I'm working at is just behind the places you guys work at, lol.

I'm a civil with a small (about 20 employees) design firm. I got a 6.5% raise after passing the PE and now have 5 years of work experience. I'm in an area with a lower cost of living and a not so great local economy....

To put all this into perspective...gives us an idea of what you were making before the PE and what you will be making after the PE. Giving us a percent increase doesn't tell us diddly.

For me:

Before PE: $76,000/year gross

After PE: $76,000/year gross

What a great feeling to pass the PE and all you get is "That a boy" No raises here :brickwall: :brickwall: , I might be looking elsewhere!!

To put all this into perspective...gives us an idea of what you were making before the PE and what you will be making after the PE. Giving us a percent increase doesn't tell us diddly.
For me:

Before PE: $76,000/year gross

After PE: $76,000/year gross

What type of engineering ? Private / Government ?

...My first job out of college paid $35k...and that's as a civil eng....

$35k to $76k from first job out of college till time to take the PE ? So, about a 20% or more raise per year..... that's not bad.

So I'm the one who started this topic a while ago...now, I have passed the test!

Two days after I got my letter, I got a 10% raise, which puts me at $80K now. So I was happy with that, and theoretically, I am still eligible for a regular raise. However, those only happen every few years, so it may be awhile before I see that.

So I guess I can say now that all that studying paid off!

I started in construction management at $38k in '98; after a promotion last year my '07 salary is $115k. I have had the conversation with my supervisor regarding my license (I am the #2 man in my department) and is may be worth $10k if the CFO approves it.

Typically I have seen >10% raises each year... last year had a mid year bump of $5k then a $15k bump when I was promoted.

-Ray (Northern NJ)

I started in construction management at $38k in '98; after a promotion last year my '07 salary is $115k. I have had the conversation with my supervisor regarding my license (I am the #2 man in my department) and is may be worth $10k if the CFO approves it.
Typically I have seen >10% raises each year... last year had a mid year bump of $5k then a $15k bump when I was promoted.

-Ray (Northern NJ)

What city are you close to in NJ ??

I hope in 2014 (my 9 year mark) that I'm the #2 man and making $115k, lol. Construction does seem to pay better though, but most places I talked with while in college would stick you on salary, then get their money's worth by working you LOTS of hours, and then move you around wherever the project is every couple of years.

What city are you close to in NJ ??I hope in 2014 (my 9 year mark) that I'm the #2 man and making $115k, lol. Construction does seem to pay better though, but most places I talked with while in college would stick you on salary, then get their money's worth by working you LOTS of hours, and then move you around wherever the project is every couple of years.
I am the #2 man in my department only, long way to go within the company, however my position is one away from being an executive. The hours here vary, some weeks I am trying to find 40 hours to bill, other weeks I crunch 75 hours. I am home office based and not in the field so I know where I am reporting to each day. My office is in Monmouth County with a bulk of our work in North Jersey.

I have advanced to where I am by showing committment and ambition, guys that are in the field that started the same time I did that are doing the minimum are $20k - $30k lower. I handle 5-6 projects at any time from conceptual level to a hard money bid.

-Ray

I got a window office and a certificate that says congratulations on your very important .. um .. what is that thing you got? I think all that is missing here is a red stapler. :lmao: :lmao:

JR

I am getting paid as if mine were obtained from a Cracker Jack box :rolleyes:
JR

Yo no offense intended but is it really necessary to have that freaking crocodile on your signature? Its huge and NO, it does nothing for anyone but maybe you. My vote is if you are going to be posting on every single topic on this website, get rid of that freaking crocodile. No one here is rubbing schools on everyone else... My 2 cents...

Again, no offense- really... HURRAY for jregieng taking the crocodile to the lake and tying a big block V8 to it's tail! LOL Just kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back