Bonus/Salary Increase expected for PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we go thru all the effort to get our stamp and the company benefits from it, they should give us a pay raise, especially if the company is doing very well financially. The company I work for has quite a few PEs working for them and they wouldn't need another one. So I don't know if they would give me a raise or not. But I wouldn't stamp anything without a raise.They'd probably care less. But you know, I want to be a PE to get a better pay at some point in time. After all, I didn't get up at 4 in the morning every day and study just for fun. It has to pay off some day.
I understand that the picture looks very different if you work for a small company and they're dependent on you.
Tina: you pretty much answered your own question. In a larger company with a lot of PE's then there really is no need to add another one. The individual gets thier PE as a personal career move. Of course the credential is worth something and the bonus/salary increase would likely come from a promotion within the company as opposed to the ability to seal drawings. My experience is that the company won't let you stamp drawings, only management can because of the potential exposure for liability. When/if you're asked or directed to stamp work and therefore be the "engineer of record" you'll have attained a level (and salary) comensurate with that level of responsibilty.

The "pay off" has to do with advancement within the firm and assuming greater responsibility.

Sorry about this but I received a 85% raise last year after passing the P.E. I also jumped from Municipal work to Cunsulting work. The Owner/Boss also gave me a after 6 months of employment.
RleonPE

I'm in the same situation. I increased 70%, but that involved going from public to private sector and a relocation. If you add in the relocation and signing bonus, I did about 100%.

Did I ask a question ? :party-smiley-048:
I confess, that I had to go back and look. I guess you didn't. :beerchug:

However, your original question was "What kind of bonus and/or salary increase are you expecting (or did you receive) for having passed the PE?"

and I guess I subconciously interpreted that as "What kind of bonus and/or salary increase should I expect for having passed the PE?"

My response(s) would be to the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
10% where I work, which is, in all honesty, the only reason I'm taking the PE.

I took PE exam on April 2007. Right now my salary is $30K (so far). I expect to reach $50K or more with the 'pass' notification. I've been in the same company (roofing) for 11 years. My three bosses (owners) earn $250K EACH, extras not included (company cars, vacations, home remodeling paid by the company, etc..) If you think this is abusive, you are right. So, welcome to salvage capitalism! I don't think this guys give me more than $40K, so I began to send resumes to each and evey pharmaceutical company in my area.

$30k for 11 years? Damn, you should be making more than twice that, even without your PE! Don't wait, start sending out resumes now.

When I pass i want a suit like this!

taco.jpg

Is that thing wearing a taco bell diaper? I ate two taco salads in one sitting (anyone ordering 2 taco salads should have to sign a waver) once and I could have used a taco bell diaper.

At the Corps of Engineers, you get "P.E." added to your nameplate and a pat on the back if you are lucky. That's it. You would figure the largest engineering organization in the world would encourage their engineers a little better.

At the Corps of Engineers, you get "P.E." added to your nameplate and a pat on the back if you are lucky. That's it. You would figure the largest engineering organization in the world would encourage their engineers a little better.
Are you at the Corps? I was in Jacksonville for a few years. I would have stayed, but Jax is a craphole.

I worked at Cinergy (now Duke Energy), the big gas & electric company here in Cincinnati for a while. Not only did I not get any encouragement to take the test, it was like pulling teeth just to get them to let me take the day off to even take the exam. It's one of those places where the old guys don't want any competition from the young guys...no PE, no competiton.

I should add that where I'm at now I did get a bonus when I passed, but I did not get a "P.E." added to my 'nameplate'. I hestitate to call it a 'nameplate' because we all have these art-deco looking things that our idiot marketing department came up with that just have our names printed on a piece of paper slipped inside. After I passed I pulled my paper out and wrote in the "P.E." myself with the hopes that someone would get the hint and print out a new one, but it's been almost a year since I got my results and it's still there.

I work in aerospace, and with the industrial exemption, we aren't required to have PEs. If I get the pass letter, my boss will undoubtedly say congrats, but that's about it.

I am doing this for my future and to get it out of the way (the test, I mean).

HAHA It was about the same when I worked for the Air Force, except the people with PEs were always asked why they wasted their time when a PE wasn't required.

And they didn't get PE added to their plates.

And they didn't get a pat on the head.

I took PE exam on April 2007. Right now my salary is $30K (so far). I expect to reach $50K or more with the 'pass' notification. I've been in the same company (roofing) for 11 years. My three bosses (owners) earn $250K EACH, extras not included (company cars, vacations, home remodeling paid by the company, etc..) If you think this is abusive, you are right. So, welcome to salvage capitalism! I don't think this guys give me more than $40K, so I began to send resumes to each and evey pharmaceutical company in my area.
You should have left this job long time ago.

+1 ...My first job out of college paid $35k...and that's as a civil eng. If you are doing pharmaceutical/chem eng., you should be making much much more.

You should have left this job long time ago.

I passed PE last june, got 37% raise, and just now another 13% after a year. My salary has gone up by 75% since i joined them as a "fresher" three and half years ago.

HAHA It was about the same when I worked for the Air Force, except the people with PEs were always asked why they wasted their time when a PE wasn't required.
Can't get a GS-13 without a PE in the navy, at least in seabee-type commands. Why, I don't know, because PE stamps aren't required for work on federal property. Not that a state stamp would mean a whole heck of a lot...
It DOES look nice after your name, though, and garners professional respect! Right??? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back