Basement 2.0

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its the shower in the new basement bathroom. the wood supports the weight of the tile since it goes up to the ceiling, then we have to remove the wood and finish below once the tile has adhered to the wall..

The purple box is one of those cut out "shampoo shelves / holders" and was a total PIA. Thought it would be easy but the thing is almost trapezoid shaped (the outside dimensions are slightly larger than the inside) hope it looks okay when its grouted but was just not worth the trouble for something that wont get used that much... (wifes idea)
No waterproof membrane?

Always thought it was needed at least in the corners.  Interesting.  (Debating redoing my upstairs bath myself and converting the soaker tub to a big walk-in.)

I might do one if I was doing an upstairs shower just to be sure -but the combo of durarock/ wonderboard and thin set should suffice in most locations.i did put the thin set in thick at the corners.

We're going through the inspection process and it seemed like there is more opportunity to trap water and create mold that way -it was a question I asked the permit people.

Upstairs we have a never used "garden tub" and shower and I'd also like to combine the two into one big shower but I always fear when we go to sell the house it might make it an issue - but if I decide to live here another 10 years or so I wouldn't mind doing it anyways

We have a huge garden tub in ours that is never used, and a small walk-in shower stall.  The dogs have taken more baths than we have in that tub.  I'd like to rip out the stall and the tub, replace the tub with a big walk-in shower, and put an open storage space where the stall is, since storage is really what we're lacking.  I think if I do it, I'd use one of the enamel shower floor inserts and tile the walls because its less aggravation than presloping the floor, I can reuse the drain location, and I like the contrast vs. the tiled floors.  The only tricky part is that there is an exterior sliding window in the stall, and I'm not sure exactly how to waterproof it.  I don't want to block it off because its the only natural light in the bathroom, and would have a mismatched siding patch on the exterior because its sun faded.

We used to have those block window things in the shower and replaced it with a glazed regular window - it wasn't too expensive and we paid someone to do it- maybe $400 bucks total?

If the plumbing lines up it shouldn't be too bad

finished most of the grout this past weekend, I think I am going to finish out the bathroom and then pay someone to do whichever floors we pick out - I just have lost all motivation to do this type stuff.. but at least I will have a "standing urinal" once I install the shower faucet ;)  

IMG_0841.JPG

mostly just the floors, remaining in the bathroom (floor tile, toilet, sink, fart fan) and then the floors and molding & a couple of doors.  People charge so damn much for bathrooms its worth it to do that myself. We have some old carpet leading down to the basement but I think I am just going to clean those the best I can and maybe pull the carpet off and stain the stair treads this summer.

I had a sub panel put in and the guy wanted to charge me nearly $2 grand to wire all the outlets, switches, and install the breakers (he had already run the wires to the new outlets), I did that a few hours a night last week and hooked up the breakers this past weekend also.

We had an area in the basement set up so we can add a bar later, but I don't think I will tackle that this year...

I have to START painting, including redoing my daughter's room which is a bright lime green, courtesy of the previous owners.  Can't wait to see how many coats that one's going to take...

I have to START painting, including redoing my daughter's room which is a bright lime green, courtesy of the previous owners.  Can't wait to see how many coats that one's going to take...
Zinsser primer. You're welcome. 

But does the 1-2-3 work as good as the oil-based stuff?

we have had really good luck with the Behr primer included paint.  It wouldn't cover a crazy dark color in one coat but defin in two

I hope its better than Valspar.  That shit covers about as well as a New Orleans Saints DB.  I've been happy with Glidden, but never had to cover paint this gnarly before.

Yeah that stuff sucks

If you go back a page in this thread our living room we repainted that shit brown with a lighter color grey and did that with only two coats of the behr paint.

I had a golf buddy that was a regional manager for PPG in the area.  He got me his employee discount on all of my paint for the upstairs.  When I was getting quotes from painters, one of the painters was pissed that I already bought the paint...then he was even more pissed when he found out I paid less than his large contractor price for it.  I got the super premium PPG paint for less than the cheap stuff at Lowes.

slowly but surely, may have bathroom #4 in operation by this weekend! I have already called dibs..

these rectangular tile were kind of a PIA to cut (when you have to cut them lengthwise)

Also wife isn't happy with my "sloppiness" around the toilet "area" I told her the base will cover 90% of that...

Note - outside walls are not purple, just the way the light hit it I think :D

IMG_0874.JPG

Looking nice!  Yeah, that "sloppy" tile work will all be under the toilet base anyway. She won't be able to see it.

Note - outside walls are not purple, just the way the light hit it I think :D
<cough> bullshit <cough>

Back