Basement 2.0

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carpet on the concrete slab was what was there and there is enough moisture that the carpet/padding was pulling it up into itself and stank of mildew/musty yuck.  we needed something that would allow the floor to breath.

That was the main reason we did the stained floor in our last house - so much ground moisture in GA that all our neighbors had to remove the carpet and install something else it just retained so much mousoitre..

These were fairly cheap - $3/SF back during the housing recession but can't find anyone to do them out here - mainly commercial applications... but I've really thought about looking up how to do these myself? It can't be that hard - just have to make some type of template for cutting in the tile look ?

floor.jpg

But our basement is toasty in the winter since that's where the furnace is - it's always the hottest place in the house in winter 

its the shower in the new basement bathroom. the wood supports the weight of the tile since it goes up to the ceiling, then we have to remove the wood and finish below once the tile has adhered to the wall..

The purple box is one of those cut out "shampoo shelves / holders" and was a total PIA. Thought it would be easy but the thing is almost trapezoid shaped (the outside dimensions are slightly larger than the inside) hope it looks okay when its grouted but was just not worth the trouble for something that wont get used that much... (wifes idea)

What about tile for the floor?  You can get that tile that looks (sort of) like hardwood, if you want, but why not just 12x12 tiles  - just apply straight onto the concrete.

I just used one of those pre made shower pans for the floor. The tile just goes down into it. I was going to do a tile floor but this just seemed to be the easiest

I was talking about the entire basement. As far as I know, tile is a moisture-resistant flooring. Looks nice, feels nice, and you can put throw rugs here and there for warmth and acoustics.

Gotcha - we have looked at it but that wood looking tile is pretty pricey @1000 SF worth.

They have a rubberized (not sure the actual term) laminate wood looking floor that is ok for basements that a lot of our neighbors have used. That's what we are leaning too.

But we also looked at maybe doing half the space in tile and half in carpet (the area that will serve as an extra bedroom

It's all painted and I wired all the new outlets to the sub panel so I am running out of stuff to do once the bathroom is finished

Back