Badger & Blade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Schick Hydro 5 with Aveeno sensitive skin shaving cream. I'll switch between the Schick and Mach 3 Turbo, depending upon which razor blades my wife has a coupon for, or whichever is on sale. I'll get whatever sensitive skin shaving gel is on sale/available at Costco. I shave every morning, and have done so since high school. The wife and kids don't like me with facial hair, and I really don't care.

I shave using a rusty hatchet for a razor and Chuck Norris' tears as my shaving cream.

I've been doing the safety razor thing now for about 9 months and I really enjoy it. It took me a while to figure out which razors worked best with my face, but now I get the smoothest shaves of my life every day. I will never go back to cheap (but costly) mass produced cartridge shaving.

5ygype3a.jpg

I don't shave.

I got my kit on Saturday, and did my first shave on Sunday, after watching one of the multitudinous videos on YouTube. It went pretty well, but I nicked myself near the left corner of my mouth. I'm giving it a day to heal, then I'll shave again tomorrow morning. I'm really happy with how easy it was. Not using pressure on the razor took a little getting used to.

I'm still using the same Gillette Sensor Excel that I bought 20 years ago. (the handle, not the cartridge). But the cartridges have gotten so expensive that I am considering trying something like the safety razor out. The big problem will be finding good replacement blades here in the islands.

There are times I wish I could grow a beard. But Mrs Dex doesn't like facial hair, so it's probably better that I can't.

Same with Mrs NJ. When I'm in a drought season I often begin let it grow until she complains about it.

Sapper, how often do you replace the blades? My facial hair is kinda coarse. I still got a close shave this morning, but not quite as close as the first morning. Also, how many passes do you do? I'm starting out with one pass, with the grain, till I get the hang of it.

I usually use a blade for about two weeks until it's too dull to be comfortable anymore.

I usually do one pass with the grain then another against, then a third a third sideways to the grain. This removes any microscopic stubble.

Some might argue that my blades are way too dull before I change them out, but I think it's a matter of preference.

Lol, sometimes I stretch a month or more out of the life of my blades. Damn things are too expensive. I'm an against the grain guy. Always feels like a tighter cutter.

I use the razor to knock down all the tall stuff in the shower, then I do a quick "clean-up" with the electric. Against the grain never really feels good and I end up with in-grown hairs, but I don't have that problem with the electric. I would do it all with the electric, but I'm lazy and I let it grow just a tad too long for the electric to be effective by itself.

Hipster apparently = surveyor as well :p

I've used a safety razor, brush & shave soap for over 5 years now. Got 100 Russian blades (Astras I think) for something like $10, change em out every couple of weeks. I've found the RiteAid 'platinum specials' to be pretty good too. I suspect the QA/QC on the double-edge blades to be far higher than that for the twin, triple, etc. $10 cartridges out there, hence why the cheapies frequently perform so well. I recently got a straight razor that takes disposable blades (basically half of double-edge blade); found it to be good for detail work around existing hair-lines, but wouldn't want to shave my whole face with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back