Baby Boomers, GEN X, GEN Y...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What you be???

• Baby Boomer

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Generation X

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Generation Y

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
<--- Don't like Pearl Jam, and never really a big fan of flannel.

I still consider myself a Gen X'er though...

Pearl Jam was def trending Y-ish to me.

X-ers had the stadium rockers! From Led Zep, Ozzy, Dio, Kiss, AC/DC, to Crue, Priest, & Metallica etc - after that, Rock just got whiney & emo

I can tell y'all didn't grow up in the ATX...

music, music, everywhere

SRV, soulhat, ian moore, zz-top, arc angels, black cat lounge, south park meadows (pearl jam mid 90s), liberty lunch, emo's, willie nelson and his picnic

staduim rockers came here, too but we had all kinds of music everywhere, still do, but not like it was...

wait, isn't nostalgic on the Gen-X list?

GenXers were the last to experience the legal thrill of driving down the road in a Camaro with the rear end jacked up, the rear wheels sticking out while a cold can of PBR rested between your legs and Boston screamed through the eight track on Jensen triax speakers.
Triax's!! you lucky bastard I only had Coaxs... and it was Firebird thank you.

Our work also has generational training. It was mostly because the old timers thought the whippersnappers were lazy...or something like that. Actually, the struggle was that Gen X and GenY both don't buy into working at the same place for 30 years and getting the gold watch. The Veterans and the Baby Boomers (to a certain degree) felt working at more than one place showed you weren't trustworthy. It's interesting to see how generational events shape a group of people. No one nowadays would pledge lifelong allegiance to a workplace, because companies don't stick around the same way they used to nor to they provide the same benefits. I save for retirement, but just this morning I really truly had the moment of, "I'm going to work forever." I don't that retirement is a sure thing anymore.
During the generational training at my work, one of the younger people brought this up, that gen y doesn't buy into the long term career thing. The response was "we aim to make your experience here a good one. So go, work somewhere else, gain experience, and when you're ready to come back, we'll make it easy to do so". I thought that was an interesting approach. Loyalty is no longer such a valued trait.

Last edited by a moderator:
The loyalty issue goes both ways, though. What does Gen Y have to be loyal to? The lack of a pension or retirement fund? Piddly 401k contributions? Shitty health care plans?

I think the notion that a lot of Gen Y'ers (at least the ones old enough to be a part of the permanent work force) and late Gen X'ers have also opened their eyes that by the time they're supposed to retire, a) social security and medicare may very well be nonexistent due to the overwhelming disarray of both programs, and B) the odds of having to continue to work to support oneself financially is significantly higher than it used to be. The never-ending pursuit of more money is a fight or flight response to financial planning, as a pat on the back with little monetary returns is only going to get you so far.

I did find it interesting though during the leadership development program here at work, the intangibles of managerial loyalty, verbal appreciation of work, and a good (physical) work environment polled higher on the list of desirables than money did.

I think the notion that a lot of Gen Y'ers (at least the ones old enough to be a part of the permanent work force) and late Gen X'ers have also opened their eyes that by the time they're supposed to retire, a) social security and medicare may very well be nonexistent due to the overwhelming disarray of both programs, and B) the odds of having to continue to work to support oneself financially is significantly higher than it used to be.
GenXers probably discovered this earlier than most. I figured it out when I was ten, when the workings of SS were explained to me during a bicentenial celebration. I realized then I'd have to work until I died and whatever I saved up would be an income supplement and SS would be gone, baby, gone.

My social security letters come with a note that I will not see that money if the system stays the same. However, if I can become substantially disable, they have good news for me. Well, except for the substantially disabled part.

Back