The basement boys

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I only remember grandma's spoon used only a few times between me, my brother & sister. It wasn't used enough to strengthen itself, combined with the dry weather led to it's demise.

My mom had a wooden paddle (about 6 inches in diameter) that she employed if the "wait until your father gets home" verbage didn't calm us down. It was stored above the refrigerator and if we saw her reach for the paddle we ran for the hills.

My mom actually kicked me in the butt one time for calling my sister a smarty pants. I guess she was tired of my surly teen attitude.

I never really cared when my mom would spank us, cause it was more like a pat. But as soon as the words "wait til dad gets home" were said, we shut up quick. Dad used a belt and while he didn't use it often, it still kept me straight. My grandma would make me go pick my own switch for my whoopin. Now that's punishment!!

We haven't made it to the point of disciplining mini-ble yet, but when we do, spanking will be the absolute last resort.

I remember vividly the last time I got a "spanking". I was 13 at the time and was hanging out with the wrong crowd. I got home really late and my Dad asked me where I was. My response to him was "Why don't you go **** off." Next thing you know I caught the quickest back hand to the mouth. I swear my dad was trained by Bruce Lee. That was the one spanking that really straightened me out. I know I deserved it and I'm glad my parents didn't take my BS or else I would not be where I am now.
that's usually how any spankings have occurred for me with my kids - no foul language retorts yet, they're 5 & almost 4 - but they will be doing something or guilty of something that prompts that lightening quick whap on the butt. Usually like I'll catch my son whip a block or something and it hits my daughter square in the head...or daughter pushes son down the stairs type of stuff. Only once have I "laid into" one of them, and this after giving multiple outs & chances to avoid discipline escalation...sometimes kids have to see the escalated result or threat carried thru to remember to be scared of it. Fortunately, any spankings (relatively rare anyways) have tapered off as they get out of the pigheaded toddler years.

I don't think you need to hit or spank your kids, yes it was done to me on rare occasion, but outside of the child doing something pretty dangerous, say running across a busy parking lot (saw this a couple of weeks ago) I don't think it is warranted.
It seems to me the main problem is that my friends with children don't seem to understand discipline, the purpose of discipline is to help a child learn how to control their behavior and emotions.

It seems most parents today are much more concerned about positive reinforcement and self esteem of their kid. I am not saying that isn't important just that I would rather have a highly disciplined child with average self esteem than the other way around.

Maybe this is because so many adults today were raised by just one parent and grew up with low self esteem and are now trying to fix a problem in their own lives thru their children.
i don't take his viewpoints or opinion wholesale verbatim, but I do think Dr. Dobson's observations on child-rearing & strong willed kids are pretty succinct.

i don't take his viewpoints or opinion wholesale verbatim, but I do think Dr. Dobson's observations on child-rearing & strong willed kids are pretty succinct.
Ditto.

The main thing my wife and I concentrate on is follow-through. Doesn't matter whether it's a punishment or reward, if we tell him something will happen, we make sure it happens. I've only had to resort to spanking him two or three times. Since he knows it's not an idle threat, he usually straightens up long before I have to actually lower the boom.

My mom used a paint-stirrer that she had painted kind of colorfully with the title "The Board of Education". It didn't really hurt (she only ever used it on our fully-clothed butts), but it got the point across.

My mom used a paint-stirrer that she had painted kind of colorfully with the title "The Board of Education".
My parents had a paddle with painting of a bear sneaking up on a deer in the woods. It was captioned, "For the little dear with the bare behind."

Well, I haven't seen her bare ass so I couldn't say for sure. Maybe pics would help...

Back