Baby Boomers, GEN X, GEN Y...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What you be???

• Baby Boomer

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Generation X

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Generation Y

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Road Guy

Reaction score
While killing time at lunch doing research for (any other business than engineering) I found this demographic write up..

just thought it was interesting!

Baby Boomers: Born 1943-1960

This group is the parent generation to the Echo Boomers. They’re heavy travelers, nearing retirement and have discretionary income. They have many activities that keep their focus. Between family, free time, discretionary income, and proven high participation in scuba, it’s important not to ignore this audience. This group tends to be the most active scuba diving customer. Baby Boomers:

• Live longer, healthier lives than previous generations
  • Have a propensity towards travel
  • View parenthood in a positive light and feel they were positive role models for their children
  • Want to provide for their financially secure adult children by leaving them an inheritance rather than leaving their money to a charitable organization
  • View empty-nesting in a positive light
  • Claim their disposable income has either increased or remained the same (35%) since their children left home
  • Think looking good is important
  • Are more likely to engage in traditional exercise programs such as walking, swimming and weightlifting and less likely to try traditional exercises such as pilates, Tai Chi, or salsa dancing
  • Like to spend their new found free time to focus on becoming debt free, wellness/health, relaxing, traveling and enjoying hobbies
  • Often pay for their kids and grandkids to join the fun
  • Have reached the time in their life where they are trying the things they’ve always wanted to do
  • This is the generation upon which diving was built, so millions of them are already certified. For these reasons, many dive destinations have an active Baby Boomers customer base that is disproportionately large compared to their proportion as new divers.

Generation X: Born 1961-1979

Gen X is often the hardest to define, mostly because this group doesn’t like being labeled. The word “pragmatic” is often used to describe this demographic. Ranging from 29-47, they either have families or are just starting that chapter of their life. While they enjoy hobbies and traveling, being practical plays a role in major purchase decisions until their kids are old enough to go with. Gen X’ers are:

• Skeptics and critical of everything
  • Individualists who feel the need for excitement, and to do things others wouldn’t dare to do
  • Optimistic about quality of life
  • A group of 20 million with a discretionary spending power of $120 million US annually

Echo Boomers (Gen Y): Born 1980-2000

The fastest growing group of new divers, the Echo Boomers, is one of the largest untapped generations (challenging the Baby Boomers in size). It is a group whose attention is difficult to capture. They are extremely active, multitaskers and have a large discretionary income (thanks to Mom and Dad!) Plus, they are known to get their parents active in their interests. In previous generations, this role has usually been reversed. Echo Boomers:

• Want to control their media experiences
  • Are masters of multi-tasking and have access to evolving technology
  • Interests waiver and shift rapidly
  • Value relationships, having control in life, and being really good at your job.
  • Were raised in the age of information and uncertainty, teens in this group can be skeptical
  • Feel that most grown-ups are really stressed out and they don’t want to be the same
  • Have significant discretionary income (about US $100 or equivalent per week)
  • Spend family money as well as influence their parents’ spending on both large and small household purchases
  • 63% of 6-17 year olds prefer going online to watching television
  • Are three times larger than Gen Xers (71-80 million of them)
  • Are culturally diverse, confident, optimistic, and follow the MTV culture
  • Respond to humor and irony
  • Like to volunteer for worthwhile causes
  • Want to be part of a crowd, think of a phone as a person and believe that staying connected is important
  • Have less of a nuclear family, which makes them rely on group connections

I was born on the cusp of Gen Y, and admit that I probably identify more with that group than Gen X. There's also been shown a link between Veterans (the Greatest Generation) and Gen Y being pretty similar. A Gen Y is more likely to identify with a church or similar group than Gen X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to say I am every bullett point for GEN X (excpet for the money part :D )

Echo Boomers (Gen Y): Born 1980-2000

The fastest growing group of new divers, the Echo Boomers, is one of the largest untapped generations (challenging the Baby Boomers in size). It is a group whose attention is difficult to capture. They are extremely active, multitaskers and have a large discretionary income (thanks to Mom and Dad!) Plus, they are known to get their parents active in their interests. In previous generations, this role has usually been reversed. Echo Boomers:

• Want to control their media experiences
  • Are masters of multi-tasking and have access to evolving technology
  • Interests waiver and shift rapidly
  • Value relationships, having control in life, and being really good at your job.
  • Were raised in the age of information and uncertainty, teens in this group can be skeptical
  • Feel that most grown-ups are really stressed out and they don’t want to be the same
  • Have significant discretionary income (about US $100 or equivalent per week)
  • Spend family money as well as influence their parents’ spending on both large and small household purchases
  • 63% of 6-17 year olds prefer going online to watching television
  • Are three times larger than Gen Xers (71-80 million of them)
  • Are culturally diverse, confident, optimistic, and follow the MTV culture
  • Respond to humor and irony
  • Like to volunteer for worthwhile causes
  • Want to be part of a crowd, think of a phone as a person and believe that staying connected is important
  • Have less of a nuclear family, which makes them rely on group connections
These people will be running the country very soon. Be afraid...

I tend to identify better with Gen X'ers (Born late '79) than any of the other groups. I'm not sure if my ability to identify with them lead to starting a family at a young age(married at 21, son born when I was 24), or the other way around.

IMO, the baby boomers are the reason the political world is in the state that it's in (selfish, me-first policies, let the kids deal with the debt, etc), and the Gen Y'ers are lazy (gimme what I want, but don't work for it).

I'm totally Gen Y, except for needing to have control in my life. I don't want the world - I just want your half.

the baby boomers are the reason the political world is in the state that it's in (selfish, me-first policies, let the kids deal with the debt, etc
Baby Boomers:

• View parenthood in a positive light and feel they were positive role models for their children
  • Want to provide for their financially secure adult children by leaving them an inheritance rather than leaving their money to a charitable organization
  • Often pay for their kids and grandkids to join the fun
  • Have reached the time in their life where they are trying the things they’ve always wanted to do

These traits seem to contradict your assessment of boomers.

GenXer here.

From the ages/dates, I'd say that article is a few years old. Echo Boomers are now called Millenials, i think.

I really think the Baby Boomers are probably the worst generation, Id rather have the GEN Y or X than the Baby Boomers leading companies and the country any day of the week!

<--gen X

I don't think the genY is lazy or selfish. All the younger folks I know seem pretty responsible, and carrying around a lot less baggage than generation X does. It's a huge cultural shift though with all the social media and new modes of communication.

<--gen X

I don't think the genY is lazy or selfish. All the younger folks I know seem pretty responsible, and carrying around a lot less baggage than generation X does. It's a huge cultural shift though with all the social media and new modes of communication.
Baggage thing is spot on. I don't identify with a lot of GenX rebellion. That said, these are stereotypes and lumping millions of people into categories.

baggage.png

different groups label the transition from x to y at different times. I have seen a similar break out that has gen x through 1980 and 1981 starts the gen y. At least around here the 1980 to 1981 really was a breaking point in how kids acted,believed, etc.

gen x by other reports which fits, gen y by this which really doesn't fit

Back