--~~ Ask A Female Engineer Anything ~~--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, is there a question here, in "Ask the Female Engineer"? Or is it just turning into gross guy stuff?

If ya posted something, I can't see it...probably a good thing
Nah, obligatory Clerks reference.

I 'saw' it. :bananalama:
Way to spit water in the face of life.
You know, I showed that movie to my wife right after we met. She laughed so hard at that scene that SHE spit beverage out, almost choking herself in the process. She got many bonus points for liking that movie.

Boys will be boys!
We can't help ourselves.

okay so here is a question...

The engineering firms I have worked at normally have less women than men, and the women usually get more than their fair share of attention from the guys at work (stopping by chatting, flirting, etc)

So do you enjoy this attention or is it ,, oohh gross the old guy is hitting on me again?

At the firm where I worked right out of college, chatting and wasting other people's time was frowned on. Severely. So anybody doing too much 'visiting' and not enough work was subject to reprimand. That tends to make one nervous, if a 'chatty Cathy' stops you and begins to tell you all about his collection of stuffed fleas or whatever. You worried about the boss catching you 'visiting'. So there's that.

One thing that I *really* hate is to be trying to have a serious discussion and then some bozo trying to make suggestive or lewd comments. We all went to Junior High, buster. Put a sock in it. :p ther than that, 'creepy old guy' is purely subjective. Some people like the extra attention, and some don't.

On a more serious note, I had a construction job one time and the old man owner happened to come by the construction trailer where I was working on some quantities or something. He reached around from behind me and squeezed my boob. I was totally shocked! Needless to say, after that I always arranged for someone else to be there with me when he was coming by. The job had a 'government inspector' who was obliging enough to eat lunch there with me when the old man was going to be around. I remember one time the old man getting visibly angry to find the inspector there. Heh.

Corollary to that is the issue of attire - since I came into the professional world at a time when women engineers were few and far between, I've always been careful with my attire and attitude. Too much cleavage or chumminess and folks tend to peg you as 'less than professional'. I think that's changed somewhat, and I think it's good that people are lightening up a bit. I still think some attire is improper for business wear but not because of some moral hangup of mine, but simply because it's distracting and not conducive to getting work done. I like for people to take work seriously enough to give a good effort, not be clowning around or ogling each others' naughty bits.

I hope that doesn't make me appear draconian. I can joke and flirt around with the best, I just don't like to waste too much time doing it. A little goes a long way. :)

The problem is that EVERYONE wants to talk to you and you never get work done. My first job had an office right at the cross of two hallways. Everyone would stop and talk...and I would struggle to get them to leave. If a guy says, "Boy, Bob, I'm really busy, can we talk later?" Bob will be fine with it but if some young girl says the same thing, one of two things happens:

1. Bob is fine with it, because Bob is a decent human being

2. Bob is pissed, because Bob doesn't get that girl's don't have to be nice all the time.

I like talking, but I like that my current office knows the limits on talking and working.

On a more serious note, I had a construction job one time and the old man owner happened to come by the construction trailer where I was working on some quantities or something. He reached around from behind me and squeezed my boob. I was totally shocked! Needless to say, after that I always arranged for someone else to be there with me when he was coming by. The job had a 'government inspector' who was obliging enough to eat lunch there with me when the old man was going to be around. I remember one time the old man getting visibly angry to find the inspector there. Heh.
Not cool. I'm a little sad that the jackass didn't get a more "physical" response. ie. unloading a swinging kick to the crotch. What a *******.

What a *******.
Yeah, in retrospect ... I was just a dumb kid of 18. I should have turned him in or at least told somebody. I never did, just didn't know better.

My inspector buddy got really good at spotting the old man coming (this was a road project and the job trailer was located about the halfway point down the road). So he'd beat the old man up to the job trailer. One day he was sitting there when the old man came in, looked at inspector and gruffly barked "Don't you have work to do somewhere!". The inspector just looked at him with his goofy grin and said, "Nope.". :D

I've always been more conservative on what to wear, too, because I entered engineering almost 30 years ago. Also, I try to make sure that what I wear to work is functional for the work I'm doing.

An old guy once came up to me when I was in my early 20's and said, "I want to give you a screw." He then quickly opened his hand and revealed a threaded mechanical fastener. HA HA! Another one, walked up and asked if he could give me a kiss. He opened his hand and showed me a half melted Hershey's kiss. YUK!!! The kiss guy was also the one who would buy mis-shaped vegetables that looked like genitals and bring them to work for show and tell. He was deranged. Very deranged. I've also made announcements that if anyone comes up behind me and touches me that I have a reflex reaction with either an elbow or a back-hand.

Really, what could they be thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, Mary. I think vegetable guy would be a big hit at bachelor parties!

Back