April 2012 CA-Survey Exam cancelled statewide?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a reponse from Ric with the rescheule info and the CBT test.

Still open book. I dont know what you mean by format, but I'd imagine this CBT is sitting at a terminal, clicking responses on screen. I doubt there is even a test booklet. I've taken a CBT style exam before (different cert) and its all computer based. Based on that exam, I have some concerns for the CBT on the state exams.

I am taking a test Monday and as I said, I'll let you know about the testing. Its going to be the same as what you're going to do.
Thanks LCG, just meant if it was going to be the same type of problems. Looking forward to hearing your insights next week.

Wow CBT.... I feel like a guinnea pig.

How will this work???? Will we have more time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried reserving a time but won't let me even though the Survey exam is available as a selection. It says my candidate number is wrong.....Maybe not open for reservations just yet.

Still open book. I dont know what you mean by format, but I'd imagine this CBT is sitting at a terminal, clicking responses on screen. I doubt there is even a test booklet. I've taken a CBT style exam before (different cert) and its all computer based. Based on that exam, I have some concerns for the CBT on the state exams.

I am taking a test Monday and as I said, I'll let you know about the testing. Its going to be the same as what you're going to do.
Yes please tell us how the CBT goes. Any one else have any experience with CBT?

To PIC:

If you must know, there were modifications to my letter after the posting. I am better with engineering calculations than I am with English. I figured readers here are smart enough to get my point and it would be unnecessary to repost an updated version.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate your opinion; however, I feel that the mocking tone you took in your response is offensive to those examinees who really are very upset over what happened. This obviously would include myself. Maybe because this did not happen to you? I could not offer a solution simply because I was, and still am, unaware of Board policies and procedures. Policies and procedures govern much of what I am able to do in the workplace; I don't know if this is the same for you. I have found that expressing frustrations can get you far, especially in a political atmosphere with executives who hold control over the situation. As for "permanent record" - there are ways to keep your identity hidden from others. Perhaps you are older and are unaware of current technology?

Anyway, there are many things I could say to you that would be a waste of space and time.

In light of that, I am glad to see that they have rescheduled the exam. I also think that the timeline is decent and the fact that some hardships due to travel can be avoided for some examinees. Hopefully this time things will run a bit smoother for everyone. A resolution within a week is acceptable in my book. Good luck to all of you!

My apologies everyone; my last post was in response to sac_engineer.

I have recently attempted to use the link in the message and it seems scheduling is not available as of yet. Stay tuned...

Scheduling will be made available no later than 9:00am (Pacific Time) Friday, April 27, 2012 through 5:00pm (Pacific Time) Friday, May 11, 2012 with date, time, and location availability on a first come, first serve basis.

I'm glad to hear they came to a resolution. I have some questions though...the Board would have no choice but to give different exams with different questions in order to stop those people who took the test first from discussing what was on it right? If so, how would they compare everyone's results and come up with a statistical analysis if everyone took different tests? Say for instance if one test was harder than the next...would the statistical analysis account for that when coming up with a cutscore?

Does anyone know if there will be multiple days in October or if all the tests will be given on the same day at the same time?

Calypso699,

That's a gud point....may be we will have different question paper each day total 7 papers. Each day paper will have its own cutscore

which depends on how ppl do on that day. But as u said there may be hard paper one day and easy paper another day based on our

fate :) .

I'm glad to hear they came to a resolution. I have some questions though...the Board would have no choice but to give different exams with different questions in order to stop those people who took the test first from discussing what was on it right? If so, how would they compare everyone's results and come up with a statistical analysis if everyone took different tests? Say for instance if one test was harder than the next...would the statistical analysis account for that when coming up with a cutscore?

Does anyone know if there will be multiple days in October or if all the tests will be given on the same day at the same time?
This is a very good question...Have no idea how are they going to solve this...Different questions in different days...wow..let's hope someone will clarify for us.

Regarding CBT is a little different than the one we were used to. I just had my Toefl exam couple of months ago (CBT). They don't let you have any material with you, no cells, no cameras or any other device. For Surveying exam I believe will be different because we need those books and calculator.

The disadvantage I see is that we cannot use any scale for obvious reason and if there is a sketch you have to redraw on your sketch paper in order to add a note or make it more clearly for you. They do give you blank paper and a pencil.

Since I had a CBT in my life I think that for this specific Surveying Exam will be a little wired to be as a CBT. I would definitely prefer the standard way, but still very happy they rescheduled before October.

Good luck to everyone

sac, MNT's letter was a little emotional, yes, but I think that's understandable given the situation. The intention of the letter was good. I doubt there would be any refunds of the application fee if the examinee also took the Seismic and 8-hour. It would be too hard to put a value on just the Survey.

I was thinking exactly what calyp asked about (post #90). How can they offer the same exam over different days? I'm curious how this will work.

Overall, the state has come up with a really great solution to a very complex problem. I am very impressed.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/4-20_message_to_ce_apps.pdf

Now, for the most important question of them all...... will you guys still get a coveted NCEES pencil? ;)

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=18334

Good luck guys. I look forward to hearing how the CBT goes.

the letter states, "The Board has reserved seats in three-hour time-slots, which allows all eligible candidates ample opportunity to schedule throughout the day. "

what is three hour referring to? the test is 2 1/2 hr? is the 3 hr referring to something else? or are they giving extra time? but like others have said, doing this type of exam on computer is going to require somewhat extra time, especially because they give so many freaking drawings that you always have to add to in order to solve the question.

perhaps maybe we will be given test booklets, but maybe we will just input our answers on the computer?

I will email Ric Moore asking more information on the format, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
the letter states, "The Board has reserved seats in three-hour time-slots, which allows all eligible candidates ample opportunity to schedule throughout the day. "

what is three hour referring to? the test is 2 1/2 hr? is the 3 hr referring to something else? or are they giving extra time? but like others have said, doing this type of exam on computer is going to require somewhat extra time, especially because they give so many freaking drawings that you always have to add to in order to solve the question.

perhaps maybe we will be given test booklets, but maybe we will just input our answers on the computer?

I will email Ric Moore asking more information on the format, etc.
I too am very concerned about this. The 2.5 hours for the exam is not enough time to begin with and now that it's on computer we would have to generate some problems on paper which will waste more time!!!!!! All of this is just too stressful.

The test is 2.5 hours, but the time slot takes into account setup and closeout time so that the next examinee can sit at the computer at their designated time.

Test booklets would be necessary since they require all handwork to be done in them.

Don't stress out. This solution has exceeded my expectations of the Board's response to the exam debacle.

The test is 2.5 hours, but the time slot takes into account setup and closeout time so that the next examinee can sit at the computer at their designated time.

Test booklets would be necessary since they require all handwork to be done in them.

Don't stress out. This solution has exceeded my expectations of the Board's response to the exam debacle.
It would be ideal if all we were doing was clinking answer on computer and we had questions in test booklets. I guess we just have to wait and see!

My advice:

Read the rules, it something like Candidate Agreement or similar. I could not find anything like it on Prometric's website yesterday, but apparently its mentioned in a letter I never got, and is available through a search of the words used to describe the agreement. It may have come up while I signed up, but I didn't see it. I sure couldn't find it looking later, and thats exactly what I was looking for.

There are lockers available, you will need to use them. You can take your id, your reference materials (one box only), the locker key, and thats pretty much it. Forget your wallet, purse, car keys, jacket, etc. That was my experience. Yours may vary. There was a booklet issued, with sketches related to problems in the exam but they're not numbered. I would write down the number, for future reference. The computer was only a slight hurdle, but still a little frustrating. It takes a few seconds sometimes to load problems, but generally pretty quick. You can only go forward and back one by one, until you get through the entire exam and only then can you click on a specific number on a list at the final screen. There, it lists problems you marked, and ones you didn't answer, and ones you did. You can review just marked problems, so keep that in mind. This is all shown to you prior to the exam, so once you review how it operates it should be a no brainer. I can't really complain about the computer, it was really a non-issue IMO.

What I didn't like?

The desk is small. Not much working space.

Sometimes drawing sketches for myself I can't stand not having a straightedge. You can't have one.

I read that if you brought a jacket, you had to wear it at all times, or put it in the locker. I was not allowed to bring one at all, was told it was too big/bulky. Lies, as far as I am concerned.

The average room temp was ok where I was, but getting blasted with cold air every 10-15 minutes was no fun. That's why I brought my jacket.

They have, IMO, stupid rules. They are also not well informed of them, so probably best to leave them with nothing they can take issue with.

No watch or other timekeeping device... unless your calc does it. Sure the computer has a countdown clock, but what if it crashes? You have no way of knowing anything in regards to time.

I did get a couple old pencils (not mechanical) with little eraser left. You turn these in when you leave.

I would expect time to be a factor, just like the paper test. I can't say if this was worse or better in that regard, my initial thought is... if anything, its not much.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh and the problems in the booklet were only sketches, not entire written problems, and were in no sort of order at all. Go to "figure G", thats all you get.

Latest posts

Back