April 2012 CA-Survey Exam cancelled statewide?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of April 13th, here is the latest per the BPELSG website. Ric Moore wrote a letter.

http://www.pels.ca.g..._applicants.pdf

Please send Ric Moore a reply asking to let us know the date of the exam ASAP. So that we will continue our preparation based on the date. Without knowing the date I don't feel like studying...and if i don't i am worried that i will forget the stuff.... :( (....Please react to the incident by sending your emails to the board...otherwise they don't know what we feel and they do whatever they like to do....I already sent him an email.

I sent this email to Ric Moore today:

Dear Mr. Moore, April, 16, 2012

Cancellation of Engineering Surveying examination was unexpected for such level of test and really disappointed for thousands of candidates state wide including myself. We all spent all time free of work and family to be prepared for the test, as well as it cost a lot of money. Of course you know about it by reading comments on Engineerboards.com Forum. I do understand that waiving the test is not realistic and against to law and unfair for other candidates who didn’t take an exam on April 12.

However I think this is a right time to look into the issue of taking the Engineering Surveying test overall and requesting to make changes to Professional Engineers Act (Business and Professions Code ##6700-6799) by adding the following:

“Civil Engineers registered after **/**/2012 shall not be authorized to practice all land surveying as defined in Chapter 6731.1. “Civil engineering; additional authority.”

I have an experience working with different engineering firms in California and realized that there is enough licensed Land Surveyors Engineers in CA to cover construction needs. In addition, the Licensed Surveyors are more professional in this field of construction; they have more experience, specific and modern equipment, software, etc.; not to mention the expenses to provide the test for state of California by itself.

Thank you for prompt respond.

Sincerely,

Nikolay Zinchenko (818-648-1395)

MS (Civil Engineering)

PhD (Structural Engineering)

Associated professor (Structural Design)

I sent this email to Ric Moore today:

Dear Mr. Moore, April, 16, 2012

Cancellation of Engineering Surveying examination was unexpected for such level of test and really disappointed for thousands of candidates state wide including myself. We all spent all time free of work and family to be prepared for the test, as well as it cost a lot of money. Of course you know about it by reading comments on Engineerboards.com Forum. I do understand that waiving the test is not realistic and against to law and unfair for other candidates who didn’t take an exam on April 12.

However I think this is a right time to look into the issue of taking the Engineering Surveying test overall and requesting to make changes to Professional Engineers Act (Business and Professions Code ##6700-6799) by adding the following:

“Civil Engineers registered after **/**/2012 shall not be authorized to practice all land surveying as defined in Chapter 6731.1. “Civil engineering; additional authority.”

I have an experience working with different engineering firms in California and realized that there is enough licensed Land Surveyors Engineers in CA to cover construction needs. In addition, the Licensed Surveyors are more professional in this field of construction; they have more experience, specific and modern equipment, software, etc.; not to mention the expenses to provide the test for state of California by itself.

Thank you for prompt respond.

Sincerely,

Nikolay Zinchenko (818-648-1395)

MS (Civil Engineering)

PhD (Structural Engineering)

Associated professor (Structural Design)

Wow. I really don't think this is the time (or reason) to modify the B&P Code. What is your intention? To eliminate the CA-Survey Civil Exam as a requirement? And to remove a Civil's permission to practice any surveying at all? I do not agree with that. I think the nature of your e-mail should be to request a re-scheduling of the exam ASAP and nothing more.

So no update yet.....this is soooo frustrating and stressful for for me and my family. I have several vacations planned in the next few months and need to know asap when the test is rescheduled for. Sorry guys I just had to vent somewhere.

technically the printing error is a security breach. If people opened test booklets and saw problems that were of a different topic that is a type of breech. It sounds like some locations had access to the entire correct booklet for a period of time as well. The exam is going to have to change in fairness to all.

I completely sympathize with everyone affected by this fiasco. It's an unprecendented circumstance that truly does not have proper reconciliation for everyone. What will we deemed as fair by the Board will certainly not be a shared feeling by most of the examinees, and vice versa.

Here's what I think will happen:

1. Option #1: The Board will reschedule the survey exam before the next schedule exam session in October. At this rate, I don't see the exam rescheduled before June. This option will avoid over-crowded exam rooms in October as well as maintain a healthier test environment by not intermingling disgruntled (rightfully validated) and new examinees.

2. Option #2: The Board will not reschedule the exam, i.e. the next exam will be held in October. This will mean they will need to accommodate a greater number of examinees and deal with an adverse, possibly hostile, environment because some people had to wait 6 months and unnecessarily re-study everything.

I do hope the Board considers rescheduling the survey exam sooner than later. Most of the examinees do not use surveying principles in their job, so I'm sure by now they have already forgotten most of what they studied, but it will be difficult for most to prepare for the exam the longer the Board delays a rescheduled date.

From my point of view, this is a tragedy in epic proportions. It has reduced the reverence of earning a PE license and this incident will live on in infamy for a very long time.

Only in California! I feel for you guys. I would be gut wrenched. Knowing how bureaucracies work I'm sure they will schedule countless meetings - all of them inconclusive, and by the time someone stands up to make a decision it'll be September. I hope I'm wrong.

Feel free to vent. It might help.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
It was cancelled thirty minutes into the exam in Visalia. If it is a printing error they should be honest and not lie about it. The truth will come out.
So your exam had already started?? Everybody had the correct books in Visalia?? I did not believe the letter on the website that "random books had been checked for accuracy". I would think that ALL the tests would be printed at one time then be distributed to the different test sites.

I was in San Diego and nobody had the correct exam. All I can say is WOW....I think some people are actually going to lose their jobs for this, even as State employees. This mistake has so many ramifications... the state of CA will not in any way, shape or form, be able to compensate us.

Does anyone know a good attorney? If the board is going to remain mute on this, I'd press them. Hard. Wake them up.

I know its a pathetic thing happened to us...but lets not think too much and enjoy the time before they annouce the date. After they announce the date anyway we need to start preparing for the test again as we don't have anyother choice . I am sure they will announce it sometime this week or atleast by friday of the week.

I know its a pathetic thing happened to us...but lets not think too much and enjoy the time before they annouce the date. After they announce the date anyway we need to start preparing for the test again as we don't have anyother choice . I am sure they will announce it sometime this week or atleast by friday of the week.
PEW, with all due respect, I think this is what you guys should not do.

1.) Do not be so optimistic and 2.) Do not just sit back and wait.

Again, I hope I am wrong but I have serious doubts that a re-take will be set up before Oct 2012. I just don't see it happening. The easiest thing for BPELSG to do is simply offer the "re-take" at the next regularly scheduled examination time which is next Oct.

If you guys seriously want a re-take, not only before Oct '12, but soon, you have to be proactive. I'd write/send e-mails (not just to Ric Moore but to other Board members), maybe even write/mail physical letters too - and I would also call in addition to the e-mails/letters.

Keep e-mailing and calling. And do it in numbers.

Be polite but firm. Try to stay factual. Be realistic (don't ask for them to waive the exam requirement, don't ask for your full $275 back, don't ask for a take-home version, etc.).

Good luck everyone.

PEW, with all due respect, I think this is what you guys should not do.

1.) Do not be so optimistic and 2.) Do not just sit back and wait.

Again, I hope I am wrong but I have serious doubts that a re-take will be set up before Oct 2012. I just don't see it happening. The easiest thing for BPELSG to do is simply offer the "re-take" at the next regularly scheduled examination time which is next Oct.

If you guys seriously want a re-take, not only before Oct '12, but soon, you have to be proactive. I'd write/send e-mails (not just to Ric Moore but to other Board members), maybe even write/mail physical letters too - and I would also call in addition to the e-mails/letters.

Keep e-mailing and calling. And do it in numbers.

Be polite but firm. Try to stay factual. Be realistic (don't ask for them to waive the exam requirement, don't ask for your full $275 back, don't ask for a take-home version, etc.).

Good luck everyone.
Yes, I am did send Ric Moore email twice....and also to the board one time....and i got reply from board.. This is the reply that i got ....

We appreciate your comment regarding the cancellation of the State Civil Engineering Surveying examination. All candidates will be contacted by the Board as soon as possible to reschedule. Please visit the Board’s website at: www.pels.ca.gov for updated information. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I liked the idea of contacting them multiple times...but again i am worried how they take it......I guess if everybody do the same then there will be some affect ....To all who are victims of this tragedy ...please react...don't hesitate to call, email and send letters.....number of times....so that they react fast....Hopefully they schedule it soon... :( (

I emailed Ric Moore but didn't get a response.

But I agree, email him and other board members! Make it know that this is not acceptable! and you need to retake the test now!

I am sure they are looking into the legal repercussions of this as well.

Another possibility is that they might allow us to take the test electornicially like they were plannning on in october. Maybe they can instead move that window up, and start that now.

You've all read the board rules, right???

"436. Schedule of Regular Written Examinations.

©Whenever circumstances warrant such action the board may postpone, advance, or otherwise change without notice the examination schedule previously published."

I suspect they may fall back on that, given the magnitude of the situation.

I dont see them rescheduling this exam other than telling people to come back in October. Its highly unlikely they have another exam prepared to hand out, and the one they just gave they cannot reissue since some people already spent up to a half hour looking at it. Its also going to be a logistical nightmare making new arrangements, on the same day, at the same (or similar) facilities, with a timeframe reasonable enough to allow those who choose retake the exam enough time to make appropriate arrangements to be there at that time. Setting up another vacation day (or two), accommodations, rental cars, plane flights (all if need be) is no small task for those who have to do all that at short notice. It may also prove quite costly. If in fact they do hold a new date, they will absolutely have to allow those who choose to wait until October the ability to do so at no cost to them. Some people might just have prior arrangements on a date that the state might pick for reschedule.

Reminds me of the time my prof didnt show up for the final exam. Epic. Complete failure of properly dealing with the issue, as well. I sure hope the state does better.

My condolences to everyone affected by this fiasco.

Another possibility is that they might allow us to take the test electornicially like they were plannning on in october. Maybe they can instead move that window up, and start that now.
Prometric was given this task for the state PS exam, someone demanded a month lead time for scheduling. That puts the test back to June, at best. I suspect there are going to be more issues on that idea anyway, given that there have already been problems getting that exam set up properly. Might not be a good idea at this point in time.

I just can't believe it's been a week and no update.....the website claims that we would be updated. a simple paragraph stating "were working hard to set a date prior to the October examinations" would be comforting.

Prometric was given this task for the state PS exam, someone demanded a month lead time for scheduling. That puts the test back to June, at best. I suspect there are going to be more issues on that idea anyway, given that there have already been problems getting that exam set up properly. Might not be a good idea at this point in time.
If the exam were to be rescheduled in June, it would mean they would have to evaluate all of the exams in about 2 or 3 weeks. This would give them time to provide new PE licenses to those who only needed surveying to pass, as well as a 3-month lead time for examinees who may not pass (in June) and would take it again in October. It has been a logistical nightmare already so I wouldn't be surprised if they announce that the next survey exam will be in October.

Back