Anybody got raise this year? Then how much?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree, mary. I was talking to a co-worker the other day and it came up that had I stayed with the DoD, I'd be pulling 100K now. The guy asked me if I regretted my decision and my answer was a fast, "hell no!" I'm not making nearly as much now, but I'm happy with both my personal and professional life. Would I like more money? Sure, who wouldn't, but I'm not about to sacrifice my happiness for it.
See, I am the exact opposite. I went from private to public and am happier for it. Having worked both sides I appreciated the pros they each had to offer but I am definitely happier being back in the Fed. Gov't again. My only regret is that I left in the first place...I started with the Corps right out of college...I'd be making a lot more and be a lot closer to retirement.

Just different strokes for different folks.

So far I have had about a 2% pay cut (from 5 furlough days). Not as bad as some other divisions (some have seen 7 days!). Our raises have been defered from April to October. In October they said theywill evaluate the business climate and see if they will give them. Rumor is we are getting small ones (on the order of 2.5%).

Time will tell, but on the bright side, Jan 1 I will get a 2% raise. Also, I have not been axed (So far 4 factories in the US are being closed - work heading to cheaper states/countries). From what they tell us, the engineering organization is somewhat stable

I know tons of engineers, nary a one has ever stepped into a court-room.
I have been in a court room ... been an expert witness in a few cases actually. :)

I'm not trying to slam you, Roy, but I just don't get this attitude. I agree that income is necessary. And, I like to advance in my career and get salary increases. But I value lots of things more than money. If I "made no friends along the way", I probably would not like myself. To me, it's not just about the money. Just my opinion.
To add to this thought - I can't imagine that taking a cut-throat, ruthless, making-no-friends-along-the-way approach is going to help marketing yourself to potential clients for either your current firm or when you decide to strike out on your own.

I have found that though I have moved into a different industry in a different state, I am still very much in touch with the people and consultants I formerly worked with - for no other reason that it is good to NETWORK. If you come across as difficult or as a prima dona .. you aren't going to get much play (pay).

Just sayin' ....

I don't intend to do what I'm doing forever. I'm similar to Roy T. I'm trying to make as much as I can right now so I can move into a more lucrative business (either opening my own business or doing something different altogether) in the future. I look at this job as a stepping stone. I refuse to be 50 years old when I finally start making real $$$. True, money isn't everything, but there are quite a few things that my family and I want to do that require money.
Don't get me wrong Chucktown - I like lattes and money just as much as the next guy ... but have you thought about the cost of deferring your 'happy' job? Have you thought about doing something sooner rather than later?

JR

See, I am the exact opposite. I went from private to public and am happier for it.
You're actually not too dissimilar from me. I went from DoD to a small manufacturing firm to teaching to state. I've done a little of all of it.

Matter of fact, I was a -12 when I left the DoD and working level has since een upped to a -13. that's why my ex-co-workers are now pulling the big bucks (plus 20-25 years in, I guess).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong Chucktown - I like lattes and money just as much as the next guy ... but have you thought about the cost of deferring your 'happy' job? Have you thought about doing something sooner rather than later?
I don't like lattes. And I like the job I have now. But I'm not doing my job for the "good of the company", I'm doing it to build my experience and get me ready for my next opportunity. I'm following the Rich Dad, Poor Dad model. Currently I have a little side business that I'm hoping to turn in to a real money maker one day, but I want to build it slowly, without incurring debt.

FWIW, I have a sign on the wall in my office that my Dad sent me that says "Remember That Overnight Success Usually Takes About 15 Years"

Sort of a hijack here, but a little bit related to money. On the plane during my vacation I read "The Accidental Billionaires", a somewhat apocryphal story about the founding of Facebook. Now I am more convinced than ever that hitting it big in the internet business is often more a matter of extreme luck than anything else. That, and a cut-throat attitude. MArk Zuckerberg, the founder, along with Sean Parker and Mark Thiel, his startup mentors, went from zero to billions in just a couple of years, basically through pure luck and screwing everybody they knew. A sorrier bunch of assholes I hope to never encounter.

Anyway, a really fast read (a few hours), and sort of interesting although admittedly not 100% historical.

I just read an article in the Cincy paper that the county where I used to work is talking about 10 furlough days for all county employees next year. They're still kicking around how they're going to do it...some have suggested closing the county on Fridays for a couple months and some have suggested just not paying anyone for their ten holidays that year. Glad I'm not at the County Engineers Office anymore.

I hate to say it, but I actually am enjoying my 5 furlough days! They are taking a little out of each pay check, so it is not a 5 big hits and with the Obama tax cut, I barely notice it!

I hate to say it, but I actually am enjoying my 5 furlough days! They are taking a little out of each pay check, so it is not a 5 big hits and with the Obama tax cut, I barely notice it!
Which tax cut is this? I think I missed it. I think they might have reduced my FICA withholding or something, but I think it amounted to about $15, certainly not 5 days of pay.

Which tax cut is this? I think I missed it. I think they might have reduced my FICA withholding or something, but I think it amounted to about $15, certainly not 5 days of pay.
I think he's talking about the Obama tax reduction elimination program and the across the board Wage Increase For Everyone Act, which legislates free health for everybody, government funded foot massages (only to those in need of a foot massage), abolishes Monday mornings and Friday afternoons, and mandates lovely rainbows on Wednesdays. Did you not hear about it? I'm getting a margarita machine and a unicorn with my government voucher. Thanks rich people! You rock! Keep it coming.

I have been in a court room ... been an expert witness in a few cases actually. :)

To add to this thought - I can't imagine that taking a cut-throat, ruthless, making-no-friends-along-the-way approach is going to help marketing yourself to potential clients for either your current firm or when you decide to strike out on your own.

I have found that though I have moved into a different industry in a different state, I am still very much in touch with the people and consultants I formerly worked with - for no other reason that it is good to NETWORK. If you come across as difficult or as a prima dona .. you aren't going to get much play (pay).

Just sayin' ....

JR
you know - people have told me that ever since I got back into engineering. mostly other engineers... and most of them are laid off now.

clients like my work - that's what important. I like the industry I work in - it fits my mentality. I'll leave it at that.

peace.

I think he's talking about the Obama tax reduction elimination program and the across the board Wage Increase For Everyone Act, which legislates free health for everybody, government funded foot massages (only to those in need of a foot massage), abolishes Monday mornings and Friday afternoons, and mandates lovely rainbows on Wednesdays. Did you not hear about it? I'm getting a margarita machine and a unicorn with my government voucher. Thanks rich people! You rock! Keep it coming.

It is Friday afternoon - see ya later - oh, right after my foot massage...

I just got a 2% raise for next year...and I've only been at my job for 6 months.

Got a 30% raise back in June from a job change. I've been told that there has been a pay freeze in place for the last year, but no word on when/if that will be lifted.

I know it's not a raise, but I got a bigger take home check today because of the Social Security withholding reduction for next year. I got my checkstub today, but it's dated Saturday, when it takes effect.

Because a lot of stuff changes around this time (med deductions, etc.) I can't tell how much it was. But it's something!

Next year's rate is about 10% higher, but I'm a contractor, so its a bit different than most (lack of some benefits, etc). And it looks like my contract is fairly solid through September (of course, they could still send me home Monday). Still, I'm not complaining, its been my best year to date. I've been very fortunate to prosper (so far) during the economic downturn.

I know it's not a raise, but I got a bigger take home check today because of the Social Security withholding reduction for next year. I got my checkstub today, but it's dated Saturday, when it takes effect.
Because a lot of stuff changes around this time (med deductions, etc.) I can't tell how much it was. But it's something!
The SS withholding went from 6.2% to 4.2% of your taxable income.

Last edited:
was supposed to get 2% starting this month, but with union/governor talks that was either cut to 1% or postponed I don't remember.

Latest posts

Back