Anxiously waiting for the PTOE result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you that of 67 people that took the exam, 50 passed. So let's hope you both passed! Also, it's funny that I scored poorest in what I am currently doing (Traffic Safety). 

I took the ITE course and found there were several questions on the exam that were not covered. Did you feel the same way?

I talked this over with a friend who took the PTOE a few years ago and we both agree that it is plausible that there are some intentionally hard questions on the exam to reinforce that you'll never know everything. 

Let me know if one of you got the highest score, it wasn't me! (though I came within two points of it)

I can tell you that of 67 people that took the exam, 50 passed. So let's hope you both passed! Also, it's funny that I scored poorest in what I am currently doing (Traffic Safety). 

I took the ITE course and found there were several questions on the exam that were not covered. Did you feel the same way?

I talked this over with a friend who took the PTOE a few years ago and we both agree that it is plausible that there are some intentionally hard questions on the exam to reinforce that you'll never know everything. 

Let me know if one of you got the highest score, it wasn't me! (though I came within two points of it)
I'm surprised it gave you that much of a breakdown of the results! I was assuming it would just be a pass/fail score.

I agree about the ITE course. It felt very incomplete to me after taking the exam. I'm super raw on traffic related stuff and my company is just starting to break into traffic studies and things of that nature, so my resources are little to none. I've done lots of traffic signal, lighting, signage, and pavement marking type design, but very little "Traffic Engineering". We had our only PTOE leave recently(which meant we lost some prequalifications with the Indiana Department of Transporation) so I decided to take on a new challenge by going after my PTOE and breaking into a new field. So I really have gone out on a limb. Hopefully I'm not one of the 17 who didn't pass, but unfortunately it wouldn't be surprising to me just due to my unfamiliarity with many items tested.

I'm surprised it gave you that much of a breakdown of the results! I was assuming it would just be a pass/fail score.

I agree about the ITE course. It felt very incomplete to me after taking the exam. I'm super raw on traffic related stuff and my company is just starting to break into traffic studies and things of that nature, so my resources are little to none. I've done lots of traffic signal, lighting, signage, and pavement marking type design, but very little "Traffic Engineering". We had our only PTOE leave recently(which meant we lost some prequalifications with the Indiana Department of Transporation) so I decided to take on a new challenge by going after my PTOE and breaking into a new field. So I really have gone out on a limb. Hopefully I'm not one of the 17 who didn't pass, but unfortunately it wouldn't be surprising to me just due to my unfamiliarity with many items tested.

thanks for the info. I did not take the course at all. I barely went through the book right before the exam date,,ugh,,so i won't be surprised if I would not pass. is it possible you guys can share (sell) the PPT from the course to me? 

Congrats! Hopefully it lets your firm get its prequals back!

ok, so I actually did get my result! It got delivered to my office, not to my house!! The secretary brought it back to me just now. It came in the mail today, and I PASSED!!
omg this is great news! congrats! I am still waiting now. very very nervous

Hopefully you passed and we call all be in a happy mood! Think positive!

I know this is an old thread but I'm taking the PTOE exam in a week or two and could use some tips. Got any?

Side Note: How ya been Dave? District 3 is a mess since you've left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Lucas H@Pacedboilingcolt@murn@PWest

I have been trying to move to the CA for a while now and a manager there asked me how soon I can pass the PTOE because they have position open there that requires it. How many hours did you guys put into it? Also, what materials did you use. If it is closed book does that mean memorizing a lot of stuff? I'd appreciate any tips.   

Hi @Lucas H@Pacedboilingcolt@murn@PWest

I have been trying to move to the CA for a while now and a manager there asked me how soon I can pass the PTOE because they have position open there that requires it. How many hours did you guys put into it? Also, what materials did you use. If it is closed book does that mean memorizing a lot of stuff? I'd appreciate any tips.   

lol, if you read the entire thread, you will know how little effort I put into this exam. my study material is just a book which is 2001 version from my manager. I did not take any course and got any up to date study materials at all. i only study a month, one hour each day.  My test result,,,,i think i just barely passed, i only got 65% correct. I am a bad example, so plz study hard and get ready for the unexpected questions from exam..many questions are from direct experience!

Back