After finding out your results!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I Fail -

1. i think I i will pay for a manual review

2. be totally disgusted

3. convince myself, my spouse, that I can and will pass in April

4. be totally disgusted

5. re-read the results and re-read the results....get closure, move on to April

If I Pass

1. never come to this website again

2. never go to NCEES website again (most likely will though)

3. call my spouse with good news

4. leave work to start celebrating

5. enjoy the holidays, be thankful for my current job, see what next year brings

Now going through this process unfortunately for the second time I have some thoughts on a few things: 1. The difference between April Exam vs. Oct Exam 2. The waiting process....

1. The Avg Passing Rate for April Exam was 70% and for each exam, NCEES assures us that every exam is "fair" in its difficulty, although my experience was that the Oct exam was more difficult then the April exam (lets hope there is a lower cut score). So my question is this, when the results are released I believe the average passing score will be around 60% - 65% does this mean that all of a sudden the sample pool of candidates just got dumber over the last 6mths causing a 5% -10% lower passing rate? I doubt it. So if both exams are fair, then there should be roughly the same passing rate with a margin of error of +-2%-3%. I feel like if I went back in time and re-took the April Exam but having been as prepared as I was for the October Exam...I would not be on this website because I would know I passed. I just hope for this exam that there will be a 70% passing rate, if that's the case, then I believe I will be getting good news.

2. The waiting process....ahhh yes the waiting process, how fun this is. Here is my opinion. The waiting process creates a huge demand for the results, hence making the test a much bigger deal then if it was offered all year long. It also makes passing that much more of a bigger deal which is a good thing for those who passed and for those attempting to pass thus keeping the importance of obtaining a license while keeping the value high....if you don't believe me, then there wouldn't be thousands across the country eagerly waiting results.
Looks like you're talking about the civil exam? that's probably the exam that has the most takers. I mean thousands and thousands of takers. So yeah, I could see where the pass rates could vary from time to time. Without knowing the makeup of the two populations, I don't see how you can draw many conclusions.
yes, the civil exam
If the Civil Exam has the most takers (thousands across the country), then the sample pool is relatively the same as it was 6mths ago (4yr Eng. Deg, Pass EIT, 4yrs Experience under PE) . That being said, there are those on here including myself that think the Oct Exam was harder then the April Exam, however, we have been corrected by senior members here that this idea was a conspiracy theory. So in fact that both the April Exam and the Oct Exam are "equal", then there should be the same Passing Rate as the April Exam....nothing in 6mths has happened that would have changed the sample pool of candidates that would make the passing rate less then 70%.

If I pass I will lend my books to my niece who will be taking the exam in April - and be very happy this holiday season.

If I fail I will start looking for and purchasing the updated references and start studying first thing next year. I figure I have studied enough this year.

I thought of you when I drove through Gastonia a few years back.

Here I get Vinny/Tony from Moonachie, in my Boston days it was Sully/Fitzy/Pauly Boy from Southie. In my Vermont days it was methhead Jimbo from the Price Choppah.

To get to my in laws I have to drive through Gastonia... Luckily I have only done that once so far this year....

To get to my in laws I have to drive through Gastonia... Luckily I have only done that once so far this year....
Gastonia's just up the road from me, but luckily I don't have to drive through there very often.

As for all you folks waiting on/getting results, hang around after you find out. This really is a pretty cool place and you can provide support for future test takers or just shoot the breeze.

Will just be relieved either way. If I pass I'll enjoy the moment and if I don't then I'll prepare for the grind again.

Passed electrical, Washington! I posted it on facebook, lame, but that is all I got!

Actually the first thing was to print it out. I have physical proof I passed!!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The walls of my office and hallway are whiteboards (awesome, I know!), so I wrote ", PE" after my name plackard. Hehe. I so don't wanna work today!!

Passed electrical, Washington! I posted it on facebook, lame, but that is all I got!

Actually the first thing was to print it out. I have physical proof I passed!!! lol
Heh, I printed mine out too, and made 3 copies in case the president, vp, and engineering manager wanted physical proof.

I'm at a job site in Florida with the tail end of the stomach virus that's been going around. Luckily, I'm going home this evening and I'm considering taking the day off tomorrow to celebrate/convalesce.

So happy I passed. No more studying. Now I have to deal with negotiating a raise.

Pass:

1. Leave kiddos with babysitter. Take wife to Brazilian steakhouse, where they cut the meat right off of the skewers and onto your plate. Drink two martinis, as they are like breasts in that one is too few and three is too many. Retire for the evening to the nicest hotel I can find.

2. Order business cards that have PE at the end. They will likely be business rulers since the suffixes are now PhD, PE, MBA.

3. Add PE to my LinkedIn name.

4. Add PE to my Facebook name whether they like it or not.

5. Photocopy the results and mail them to everyone who said I'd never amount to anything. I'm still waiting for them to be right.

Fail:

1. Replace martinis with margaritas. Replace steakhouse with taqueria.

2. Enjoy the holidays with friends, family, and good food and drink.

3. Study more than 15 hours for the April exam. Maybe take a PE course or buy a book and practice problems.

Posting question here rather than starting a new topic...

Having passed the October exam :afro: (Civil - WR/Env) is it kosher to now affix "PE" to my email and letter signatures? Or should I wait until the state board officially dubs me, enters my name into it's great book, takes my (my company's) money for the reg fee, etc.? TIA

wait until they have assigned you a number since you technically aren't a PE until that happens. you have just passed a test at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back