PE Engineering Economy Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brien

Reaction score
Have the Engineering Economy questions for the Electrical PE exams been discontinued?

Nope. Not discontinued. Definitely brush up on 'em. I consider them easy points, but you do need to know how to do more than just P/A, F/A type problems.

I "refreshed" probably 8 hours total for the EngEcon questions (4 at Testmasters, and 4 on my own), and that was pretty much sufficient. YMMV.

A quick review of the *ERM econ section should have you covered. If you're good at math (and I hope you are, if you're taking the PE exam - especially the EE one), you should even be able to fake your way through without it.

I would definitely spend a little time on the econ section as these are always on the exam, but they tend to be "low hanging fruit" so you'd be missing out on a couple fairly easy questions in the morning if you don't at least brush up.

I never had an engineering Econ class and really didn't focus much studying to Eng Econ...my rational was if I spent 30 seconds and dont feel like i could answer in 5 min i skipped it. I did this on 4-6 questions....I say it bought me a good 30 minutes on questions I knew a little more time I could answer...

A brief read of the *ERM section should be sufficient. Know how to use the tables. It's just not important enough (within the NCEES exam) to spend too much time studying.

I never had an engineering Econ class and really didn't focus much studying to Eng Econ...my rational was if I spent 30 seconds and dont feel like i could answer in 5 min i skipped it. I did this on 4-6 questions....I say it bought me a good 30 minutes on questions I knew a little more time I could answer...
Never had an engineering economics class??? I thought (or assumed..) that was a mandatory part of all ABET-accredited engineering degrees....

Never had an engineering economics class??? I thought (or assumed..) that was a mandatory part of all ABET-accredited engineering degrees....

I didn't have one either, unless you count my self-taught class for the FE exam...

Very nice information, I do not know about the total marks of Math paper. Please let me know if there is any portion if math is included in the exam. I will be very thankful.

Very nice information, I do not know about the total marks of Math paper. Please let me know if there is any portion if math is included in the exam. I will be very thankful.

There are no "math questions" on the PE exam. The use of mathematics is, however, useful in solving engineering problems. The math I used on the Civl-Geotech exam was entirely algebra and trigonometry, no calculus.

"Math" is listed as one of the exam topics in the formal specifications. It is not uncommon to see an engineering problem that is, for all purposes, a straight-up math problem.

It was mandatory for us, although the class was such a joke that we had to sign in for class and the biggest portion of your grade was based on attendance. The class was an easy A with a basic knowledge of Excel.

BTW, none of the problems are even remotely difficult that you would need to use Excel...a review of the info in CERM and your basic calculator is all you need.

Engineering economics problems are easy, it is worth spending some time on.

Have the Engineering Economy questions for the Electrical PE exams been discontinued?
Although Camara's book indicates that they will be, there were quite a few econ questions on the October exam (I took the Power module); 8-10 questions, I believe. As others have said, it's definitely worth brushing up on your general formulas and use of the tables. Make particular note of the examples in the reference manual(s) so you'll have an idea of which equation to use for various types of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose I must have been not paying attention when I was taking my exam, for I found no Engineering Economy questions in the Electrical/Electronics exam...

I suppose I must have been not paying attention when I was taking my exam, for I found no Engineering Economy questions in the Electrical/Electronics exam...
There were no such questions in the Elec/Computer either. Wonder why. Could someone explain it? I'd been counting on those for a higher score.

Back