Surveying exam August 2020 - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

I take it this Friday! I’ve been using CPESR for my review. I’m taking all of the practice exams this week leading up to Friday. I feel pretty good but I’ve also gone through these problems so many times already. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes! @Ach @PlanCheckEng

I took it last Monday studying with Reza's workbook and the Surveying Principles by Cuomo. It wasn't too bad actually, easier than I anticipated and I finished with around 15 minutes extra time to check my answers 😁
I think as long as you do a lot of practice problems, you should be good to go. There wasn't anything that caught me off guard 

18 hours ago, PlanCheckEng said:

If anyone has taken the CPESR course and the Survey exam, would you say the actual exam was closest in difficulty to the Medium CPESR practice exam or the Hard CPESR practice exam? Thanks!

I used the CPESR material. The medium difficulty exams were most similar to the actual exam. Lots of conceptual problems that were fairly quick to find using the index. I also had my EET binder for some of the more involved concept questions.

If you can get above 80% on the medium difficulty exams and not feel too crunched for time, you should be ok.

No problem guys! Good luck.

I came out of the exam having ran out of time and needing to guess on about 5 problems, making an educated guess on another 10, but feeling mostly comfortable with remainder of the problems. I passed, but walking out of the exam I felt like I left points behind because I allowed myself to get stuck on longer, more difficult problems.

Remember that if you waste time trying to solve problems that you don't have a clear idea how to solve, you're likely losing yourself 2+ points. 1 for the problem you're solving poorly & 1 for every 2 minutes you waste on said problem.

Skip it & move on to a problem you know.

• Like 2

Just took mine today.  Study with the Reza book.  Overall it prepared me well and was a good reference in the exam.  Surprisingly there were two almost identical questions on a very specific thing which I don't think was covered in the Reza course.  But perhaps I missed it.  Otherwise, I took my time and finished with about five minutes to spare.  That wasn't sufficient to go back and check things but at least I wasn't rushing to finish.  

I flagged 13 as ones I wanted to go back and check but couldn't.  I think I probably scored around 75%. Hopefully I am right and that's enough to pass...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, structard said:

Just took mine today.  Study with the Reza book.  Overall it prepared me well and was a good reference in the exam.  Surprisingly there were two almost identical questions on a very specific thing which I don't think was covered in the Reza course.  But perhaps I missed it.  Otherwise, I took my time and finished with about five minutes to spare.  That wasn't sufficient to go back and check things but at least I wasn't rushing to finish.  

I flagged 13 as ones I wanted to go back and check but couldn't.  I think I probably scored around 75%. Hopefully I am right and that's enough to pass...

This is how I felt after my test as well. Think I scored 75%. Flagged 12. Guessed on about 4 questions.

Had to reschedule this exam 4 times due to exam center closures and was finally able to take it this August. Hopefully we pass and get this over with.

Hey Guys

I did my test and was really rushed with time and I studied a TON.

I got 36/55 completed in the first 2 hours and a confident answer.... not sure if the answer is 100% right.

Went back to 10 I flagged and maybe got 50-50 at best on those. Hopefully this is enough to pass? I heard overall 36ish is needed to pass give or take.

the other few I blindly guessed..... @TheLoneStarEngineer

2 hours ago, TheLoneStarEngineer said:

Perhaps @CAPLS would be kind enough to share if August results would be released in early/late September?

The goal is to always release results by the middle of the following month.  Entirely dependent on when the Board receives the results from the vendor after the end of the month.

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed we all get to see that pretty green pass box! This is the only one I need to get through for my license and let me tell you, it’s been a long fight. I’m so ready to be done. 

9 hours ago, TheLoneStarEngineer said:

This is how I felt after my test as well. Think I scored 75%. Flagged 12. Guessed on about 4 questions.

Had to reschedule this exam 4 times due to exam center closures and was finally able to take it this August. Hopefully we pass and get this over with.

Had to reschedule several times as well due to closures. Prometric wouldn’t let me reschedule for free this time around so I wound up paying twice for both exams. I reached out to Prometric to see why and I got a “we’ll get back to you” email. They never got back to me...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, mejia89 said:

I take it this Friday! I’ve been using CPESR for my review. I’m taking all of the practice exams this week leading up to Friday. I feel pretty good but I’ve also gone through these problems so many times already. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes! @Ach @PlanCheckEng

So how was it? Did CPESR prepare you well?? Would you recommend it? 

I took the survey in July and passed using CPESR. I thought it prepared me well and as someone else said the manual was invaluable resource to quickly find things throughout the exam. A friend that is now using them says they now have another practice test available too. So I would recommend them.

Did anyone here who took the August exam take Hiner for Seismic? A couple people from work have used his course with good success.

9 minutes ago, enggirl90 said:

I took the survey in July and passed using CPESR. I thought it prepared me well and as someone else said the manual was invaluable resource to quickly find things throughout the exam. A friend that is now using them says they now have another practice test available too. So I would recommend them.

Did anyone here who took the August exam take Hiner for Seismic? A couple people from work have used his course with good success.

I used hiner for the seismic exam. I took it in July and passed as well. I only used his book, asce 7-10 and the CBC. Felt very good after the exam and passed first try. Though I had started studying with his class and book since late March before everything got shutdown so I studied a lot lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.