Would you want to know when it all will end?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you want to know when you were going to die if you were guaranteed to live until 60?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Don't forget that you need time to inflict vengeance upon your enemies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted no, becuase for me it doesn't matter... call it fate or karma, whatever, It's your time. Live your life to the fullest lads... When I go, I'm gonna sit on satan's lap with a cold one and reflect on what a great ride it was. Not really, I'm not that crazy. I see what your saying tho Ble, it would be nice to FU the 40 hour work week and spend more time with family if you knew.

I came into this world screaming and covered in blood. I intend on leaving in the same fashion. Whether I know it's coming or not, it's still coming.

On a related note, I thought I knew HOW I was going to die, but due to some financial adjustments Mrs Dex and I are going through, it looks like I'll be trading it in on a cheaper, more practical car within the next couple of weeks.

Ah, that sucks, Dex. I'm sure you'll be wanting a C7 soon anyways.

I hope to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

We have been living in the Matrix. i voted yes to both. I think if I could know I would want to.

Yes and not sure... mostly because I wasn't sure about the question.

I would love to know that I was gaurenteed to live until 60 no matter what. I think I would be more willing to take risks that I don't currently take and it would probably give me a bit more confidence in things because the thought process would be, "well, it's not going to kill me", there would also be no reason for me to give up any of my vices because of any health risks that they cause. I think I could go at 60 years of age happily knowing that I lived life to the fullest and didn't hold anything back.

Same kinda with the 5 year question with even less worries. I would write my bucket list, get on with it and probably stop looking for a job and not worry so much since it's all gonna be over in a few years anyway with probably only a few regrets about decisions that would have to be made (I wouldn't want to have a kid and not be there).

I don't think either way I would really want the exact time or date or cause...

In reference to the Matrix, it brings up an interesting mind-fuck type of question that was asked by the Oracle (not exact question, but very similar): If you knew that you were going to die within the next 5 years (but didn't know how), would that knowledge lead toward your death?

You can't help but think about how the knowledge of when/how you die would affect your actions, and then consequently whether your change in actions causes you to die.

You learn that you will die within 5 years, so you decide to go "all out" and go rock climbing, sky diving, parasailing, etc, then ultimately die in an accident from your new hobby. Or if you decide to become a complete recluse so that you avoid the dangers of contageous disease, driving, "other people's actions", etc, then die in a house fire that you would have avoided had you been going to work like you would have been had you not known you would die. Or you decide to spend your remaining time with family only to completely drive them crazy enough to killing you. Or just the knowledge of your death has you constantly looking over your shoulder and you end up stepping off the curb in front of a bus...

mind ---> blown

Last edited by a moderator:
Back