Would you want to know when it all will end?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you want to know when you were going to die if you were guaranteed to live until 60?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Ble_PE

I need a beer.
Reaction score
This weekend I was listening to some music while I was painting and I heard "The Dance" by Garth Brooks for the first time in a long time. It got me thinking about whether or not I would want to know when I was going to die/how it would happen. I figured I would make a poll about it to see what ya'll think.

Note that you would find out exactly when you are going to die but there is absolutely nothing you can do to change the outcome. One of those paradox things they talk about with time travel stuff.

One way I thought of to make it a little more interesting was to ask the question based on two time frames. First, if you were going to die within the next 5 years, would you want to know? Regardless of your age, 5 years is very near term, so I thought that was a good time frame. Next, if you were guaranteed to live until 60 would you want to know when you were going to die? I thought that this would be a good age to draw the line at since it's the age that most are starting to think about retirement, their kids are probably grown up and out of the house, etc. So, what do you think?

My answer? I would definitely want to know if it is going to be within the next 5 years because it would completely change how I'm living my life. First, I would triple the life insurance policy I just got to make sure the family is covered. Then, depending on how long I've got, I would quit my job or take a different, part time job, so that I could spend every possible minute that I could with my family. I'd want to make sure that I enjoyed my wife and kids as much as possible and that I left them with nothing but great memories of our time together.

As for finding out if I'm guaranteed to live until 60, I'm leaning toward no. By that point both of my kids will be out on their own (hopefully) and if everything has gone according to mrs. ble's and my plan, we'll be retired, so I feel like I will have lived a pretty full life at that point. The thing that gives me pause is to know how long I have to spend with mrs. ble. If I was going to live to be 85, then I would sweat too much about working an extra year or not traveling as much early on. On the other had, if I was due to expire at 61, then I would probably change my retirement plans a bit and enjoy my time with the wife. It's a tough choice.

I hope that this isn't too morbid to think about or discuss because I think that there could be some interesting viewpoints here.

I'd rather be surprised. As far as life insurance etc, I try to keep the bases covered since it could happen at any time.

As far as life insurance etc, I try to keep the bases covered since it could happen at any time.

Yea, I've definitely got the bases covered, but I think I would take advantage of the new knowledge to increase the payout amount a little more if possible.

Hell no. Learning this may lead to the knowledge that my family may also suffer the fate of my demise. I couldn't handle that.

I'd rather die dumb and happy than spend my last moments counting down the seconds. In light of some of my health issues, that's more or less become somewhat of a personal philosophy as of late.

I thought it was to know when, not necessarily how...To know you were going to die at a young age would allow you to make a video diary for your kids to help them get thru the ordeal and remember you. it's hard to teach a toddler or young child about certain things, but you could make a video series to help them through certain times and events...once you have guided them thru their teenage years, they are pretty much their own person, you can give advice, but your guidance is pretty much complete, so I think knowing you made it to 60, would get you thru that and the timing after that would not be a critical

what if you're curently 55 or older. It becomes the same question.

I have a hard time getting things done the week before I go on vacation. I'd be far less productive the years before kicking the bucket if I knew when it was going to happen. I'll take blissfully ignorant, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was to know when, not necessarily how...

Well, if I were told I would die on a Sunday any time between 10 AM and 7 PM, my family may very well be involved. We always go see my parents somewhere in that timeframe.

Are you implying your parents are bloodthirsty killers?

I'll ask them next Sunday... I'll report back on Monday...

If you don't report back, we'll still figure you got your answer....

I thought it was to know when, not necessarily how...

Well, if I were told I would die on a Sunday any time between 10 AM and 7 PM, my family may very well be involved. We always go see my parents somewhere in that timeframe.

Are you implying your parents are bloodthirsty killers?

I'll ask them next Sunday... I'll report back on Monday...

If you don't report back, we'll still figure you got your answer....

It might not be him reporting back. Maybe his parents will torture his login info out of him before they go on their kill spree.

I'm not good w/ deadlines (outside of work) all up in my grill, so NO on both counts.

My answer? I would definitely want to know if it is going to be within the next 5 years because it would completely change how I'm living my life. First, I would triple the life insurance policy I just got to make sure the family is covered. Then, depending on how long I've got, I would quit my job or take a different, part time job, so that I could spend every possible minute that I could with my family. I'd want to make sure that I enjoyed my wife and kids as much as possible and that I left them with nothing but great memories of our time together.
Some lawyer would probably call monkey shines on your tripled-up policy & wifey would be #1 suspect. Plus if you quit your job or take part-time job how you gonna pay for it? Your last sentence pretty much sums up how you should already be living your life - you shouldn't need an inked-in date w/ death to tell you that.

Some lawyer would probably call monkey shines on your tripled-up policy & wifey would be #1 suspect. Plus if you quit your job or take part-time job how you gonna pay for it? Your last sentence pretty much sums up how you should already be living your life - you shouldn't need an inked-in date w/ death to tell you that.

You could be right about the insurance policy deal, didn't think that all the way through. My thinking was more along the lines of if the date is < a year away, then I'd quit work and would still be able to live off money in the bank. But this brings up another point, what if my death in the next five years is because the wife saw the inflated insurance policy and got greedy...hmmm.

As for your point of how to live my life, that's absolutely how I live it right now. There is a difference, though, between working 40+ hours a week and then spending time with the fam vs. not working at all and spending all my time with the fam.

Latest posts

Back