Would you be willing to move for 30% raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgrey117

Reaction score
I am currently faced with a hard decision.  I fortunately passed my Mechanical PE Exam this April and have recently been contacted by a lot of head hunters.  I currently live in a nice location in the  suburbs just north of Atlanta and have a 4 minute commute to my office.  Perhaps it is just my experience, but I have noticed that this area does not compensate as well as other areas in which that I have lived (Louisiana, Texas) for Mechanical Engineers.  I feel that with Georgia Tech's proximity and the number of M.E's that graduate from there every year make it easier for employers to find employees that are willing to work at lower prices.  With that being said, I recently received an offer that exceeds my current salary by 30% and includes a pension plan that I do not receive with my current employer.  The only issue is that the new job is located in Mississippi.  Mississippi is a nice state (but is listed last on states to live in the US) with a much lower cost of living than the Atlanta Metro area; however, I feel that there are many things to do near Atlanta and Chattanooga as opposed to  Mississippi.  I am curious to how others would approach this type of offer?  Would you be willing to live in a slower pace area for a 30% raise where your wife could stay home with the kids instead of having to work a job?  I feel like the new position is better in everyway except for the city in which it is located.

your input would be appreciated.

Would I take a big pay bump to move somewhere slower paced?  Yes.  Would that place be Mississippi? Probably not.  Would I do it if that 30% is based off a starting salary under $100K?  No.  

Keep in mind, you're probably going to want your kids in private schools down there.

You mentioned TN - I'd give much more thought to the offer if that were the point of relocation.

^ these. it ultimately depends on what type of things make your life higher quality. some people like slower paced and less amenities. It sounds like you would prefer more location based opportunities than not, so maybe use this offer as leverage for negotiating other offers in more desirable locations. 

I am currently faced with a hard decision.  I fortunately passed my Mechanical PE Exam this April and have recently been contacted by a lot of head hunters.  I currently live in a nice location in the  suburbs just north of Atlanta and have a 4 minute commute to my office.  Perhaps it is just my experience, but I have noticed that this area does not compensate as well as other areas in which that I have lived (Louisiana, Texas) for Mechanical Engineers.  I feel that with Georgia Tech's proximity and the number of M.E's that graduate from there every year make it easier for employers to find employees that are willing to work at lower prices.  With that being said, I recently received an offer that exceeds my current salary by 30% and includes a pension plan that I do not receive with my current employer.  The only issue is that the new job is located in Mississippi.  Mississippi is a nice state (but is listed last on states to live in the US) with a much lower cost of living than the Atlanta Metro area; however, I feel that there are many things to do near Atlanta and Chattanooga as opposed to  Mississippi.  I am curious to how others would approach this type of offer?  Would you be willing to live in a slower pace area for a 30% raise where your wife could stay home with the kids instead of having to work a job?  I feel like the new position is better in everyway except for the city in which it is located.

the grass is always greener

always remember that

If Mississippi is the type of place you want to live, go for it. But if you aren't interested in living there than this seems like a non-starter.

I was on the fence while reading  your post until you got to the part where your wife could stay home.  For me, that's a huge plus.  Not criticizing any two working parent families but, in my (and my wife's) personal preference, we find it very important (for us) that my wife stay home and raise our kids instead of daycare.  So, if that is the only way for your wife to stay home, that's a huge plus (assuming you feel like I do).  But, as Supe mentioned, you'll need to check out the quality of the school districts down there.  And quality of living and crime rates, etc.  Not sure I'd want to live in the heart of the Bible Belt.  So, perhaps there are other alternatives?  Check the markets in other cities you like.  Ask your current employer for a fat raise to stay.  Etc.  Good luck.  

Also think about advancement opportunities.  While 30% is a nice immediate raise, you may be stalled at that position and pay rate for a long period. You current position may not give a big raise, but there could be room for growth which would be able to match or exceed the immediate raise. 

Reported crime rates also depend on the population vs. number of officers. In a smaller town, cops may focus more on the little petty crimes to boost revenue from tickets or to help with grants that may be based on crime rates. In larger cities, some crimes may be overlooked or passed over as warnings of something more serious. Take drugs for example. A small town may ticket/arrest everyone that violates the drug laws. In a larger town the small infractions will probably be overlooked if they could provide information on the bigger distributors. 

Latest posts

Back