Why the October exam will always be "special"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes the "getting pregnant" method of quitting is also a good one! ;) Congrats on both :)

I do think cold turkey is the best way to go IMHO.

I did stumble across a "stash" in the basement of unopened pack of camel filtered cigarettes in the flip top box a few months ago. & I hadnt thought of smoking in at least 6 months, and all of a sudden a rush came over me, my brain was saying 'SMOKE THEM!!! (like the little devil in Animal House) I tried leaving them in the basement, tucked in the coat pocket of my old army field jacket, for a night when I would be drunk out of my mind and want one, but they kept calling to me (seriously) and so after 2 weeks of this little voice in the back of my brain telling me to go "just have one" I had to throw away that pack.

I tell you that nicotine must be some strong shit :D

... so after 2 weeks of this little voice in the back of my brain telling me to go "just have one" I had to throw away that pack.
WTG !! :bananalama:

I never smoked so I haven't had to deal with the cravings and withdrawals but from what I have heard it is a major PITA. It is good to hear you are holding out!

JR

I applaud anyone who has kicked the habit. I was never a smoker but I have lost a couple of family members to lung cancer. I was even in the hospital room when my uncle died. Seeing loved ones die from the effects of smoking is a very good reminder to never start.

I should also mention another incintive I had was my father in law was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months before this. He had never smoked, and they kept telling him that he had a good chance to beat it since they caught it early and he had never been a smoker, somehow that also put my little habit in a different light.

If I was reinstated as an 11B today and sent to Iraq I would stuff my TA-50 full of as many cartons of smokes I could legally take with me man.

^and chocolate!
I thought women who smoke during pregnancy were more likely to have underweight babies.
Yeah... that's what they say. When my mom delivered her "heavy" children she was all the more convinced that she shouldn't trust all those scientists saying how bad smoking was. She claims if she hadn't smoked during pregnancy, we'd have weighed 15 lbs at birth!

The biggest thing that makes me think twice about the statistics is that smoking is tied to socio-economic characteristics that are also very likely to effect health and development of children. I don't trust the statisticians to weed out these effects...

My wife's aunt always recounts how when she was pregnant back in the early 60's she went in for a routine check and the doctor noticed that she had gained some weight.

The aunt said that she quit smoking and was likely eating more (in addition to the pregnancy cravings).

The doctor told her to back to smoking because the weight gain was no good.

My how times have changed.

That's awesome, RG--it's those little things like that that can really bite you in the ass.

I have to admit I only made it 1.5 days off the nicotine this time. I'm down but not out--I will be trying again soon.

Good luck Sap! I've used Zyban before (basically the same as Wellbutrin) and it worked like a charm for the smoking. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I had some issues with side-effects which is why I haven't tried it again. I'm confident it will work well for you.

The doctor told her to back to smoking because the weight gain was no good. My how times have changed.
I'm asthmatic. So obviously smoking would be a really stupid thing for me to do, as it would exacerbate things. I've heard stories from old timers that if you were wheezing or congested with a lot of phlegm they would actually recommend you smoke to loosed it up.

So what do you think are the things we do now that 50 years in the future they'll discover could kill us?

My guess: Electromagnetic waves emanating from computer monitors plus fumes and vapors from the materials used in schlocky office furniture and carpeting will cause cascading entropic brain cloud syndrome after 20+ years of exposure.

Its set in the future and the government has banned everything that is bad for you. All red meat, sugar, caffeine are illegal. Sex is not allowed so to have babies, they had to go to a clinic. Its a cheesy crime, action, supercop movie but it is one I always watch when its on.

Back