Why the October exam will always be "special"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
The October PE exam will always be special to me.

One for passing the damned exam, but it’s also the last day I had a cigarette. I don’t know if I ever came clean but I could never quit smoking while trying to study for the exam, it was just “difficult” not impossible, but difficult..

After the exam, I had 7 smokes left, it was raining and I got a mountain dew out of the coke machine and while everyone left, I sat under the awning of the test site and smoked my last 7 cigarettes. I knew if I smoked them in the car on the way home I would be tempted to stop and get more so I ditched the habit that day last year.

The next 2 weeks were tough, but I managed, I had probably smoked off and on since I was a stupid 16 year old, but for some reason picked up the habit for real for about the last 7 years. A pack a day camel filters.

The odd thing is that I am sooo much a calmer person now compared to what I used to be, I guess I don’t have to always worry about my next smoke, kind of weird.

I don’t have any real cravings, but some times I do miss smoking, cant explain why, but I am glad I quit.

My goal is to run 7 marathons, 1 for every year I smoked to hopefully reduce any effects it put on my lungs. I don’t know if there is any science to my goal, but that’s my goal. I did one last year, so I have 6 more to do…

So every October exam I think more about my stupid ass sitting out there in the rain smoking my last cigarettes than I do about passing the damn PE!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Excellent RG !! :appl: :appl:

I have known several people who quit smoking (my wife included) who have said the same thing. They feel better about thier workday because they aren't having to worry about when/where they will be able to take thier next smoke break.

When do you plan to run the next marathon?

JR

Wow, that's great!

I don't know if there is any science behind running 7 marathons either, but it sounds like a great goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job RG. keep persuing that goal.

RW: that is one funky avatar.

Good for you!

I don't know about the science either, but I do think that the body can clean itself up over time, and exercise can only help. Marathons make excellent goals because the require you to train for so long. Most people I know who have trained for and run one marathon go on to run many more. They seem to get kind of addicted. (That's why I won't run one)

Thanks for sharing...that's awesome RG! Two major life accomplishments on the same day!

I'm really glad that you quit, RG. I'm really glad that you shared your story. I'm really glad that engineers can be real human beings, not just socially deficient geeks. I'm really glad that you're running and taking care of yourself. And even if there is no science about running 7 marathons, there is definitely something special about the number 7.

Good Story!!!

Hey, maybe after I PASS that dang test in a couple of weeks, I'll give up something that day.....let me think.....

Chasing Hot females???? No I'm not giving that up<-- Don't tell the wife!

Drinking too much????? No I'm not giving that up

Gambling in Vegas???? No, my friends won't let me give that up

Spending too much on Cars ???? NO I'm not giving that up!

Working too long???? NO, well maybe.

Heck, I don't really have any bad habits.

Wow, this is just weird timing. I've been telling myself I need to quit (again) but using every available excuse not to. First it was the PE, then my planned vacation to Vegas. But I've run out of excuses and I was just (like, 10 minutes ago), thinking maybe I should make this pack my last one. But I'm sure RG that you know how hard it is to actually make that committment.

And then I saw this thread. I'm not one to believe in signs, but this is as good a motivation as any.

So I've got two smokes left for tomorrow morning. I haven't smoked at work since the last time I quit (for about 3 months) 1.5 years ago, and I'm down to less than half a pack a day, so maybe it won't be quite as hard this time. Wish me luck.

Wow, this is just weird timing. I've been telling myself I need to quit (again) but using every available excuse not to. First it was the PE, then my planned vacation to Vegas. But I've run out of excuses and I was just (like, 10 minutes ago), thinking maybe I should make this pack my last one. But I'm sure RG that you know how hard it is to actually make that committment.
And then I saw this thread. I'm not one to believe in signs, but this is as good a motivation as any.

So I've got two smokes left for tomorrow morning. I haven't smoked at work since the last time I quit (for about 3 months) 1.5 years ago, and I'm down to less than half a pack a day, so maybe it won't be quite as hard this time. Wish me luck.
Good luck, mudpuppy. I'm encouraging someone I work with who is quitting (currently backsliding a bit, but trying hard). Sounds like you'll need support after work hours. I'll be checkin' on you. :appl: And cheering for you.

Wish me luck.
I wish you the absolute best of luck and good health!! :)

Something to keep tucked in the back of your mind as you are trying to convince yourself to kick the habit - I have NEVER heard anyone say they regret giving up the habit. When you look at it like that - it's all good :plusone:

Best wishes for a successful kick-it-once-and-for-all mission !!

JR

That is really cool, RG. I can't believe you stood outside (awning or not) in THAT rain. I will always remember the crazy rain that day.

I'm not a smoker, so I don't pretend to understand the addiction.

A coworker had smoked for years, and tried the patches, gum, etc. His doctor eventually prescribed him Wellbutrin, an anti-anxiety medication. He said it was what he needed to quit. After a month or so, he was able to stop the Wellbutrin.

I had never heard of that, thought it was worth sharing.

Great story RG! If you want to hack that tar out of your lungs, stop by my office for some snowshoeing this winter. I still cough up chunks of New Jersey 10 years after I left there.

Good luck Mudpuppy! We are rooting for you!

I was PLANNING on quitting the day after the exam this year... that schedule got moved up a bit when that little plus sign showed up on the pregnancy test! There are definately nights that I REALLY want a smoke break while I'm studying... oh well, the things we do for our kids... :)

I was PLANNING on quitting the day after the exam this year... that schedule got moved up a bit when that little plus sign showed up on the pregnancy test! There are definately nights that I REALLY want a smoke break while I'm studying... oh well, the things we do for our kids... :)
I've always wondered about smoking during pregnancy because my mother smoked heavily (two packs a day) and had heavy babies. While to some the causal relationship seems hard to grasp I think I've ready about CO2 levels being much higher in the fetus than the mother while smoking. But still... what vice is left for a mother? Can't drink or smoke! That only leaves cussing and sex.

^and chocolate!

I thought women who smoke during pregnancy were more likely to have underweight babies.

Back