Why is this fair?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case, I feel that withholding a technology from a class of people because you disagree with them on religious grounds is anti-competitve and fails the free market.

How is withholding a service anti-competitive? If I withhold a service I'm doing two things in a free market:

1. I'm denying myself an opportunity to make money selling to a customer.

2. I'm willfully creating a business opportunity for a competitor willing to sell to the group I'm shunning. (eHarmony does have competition, do they not?)

Both of these things are detrimental to my business and helpful to the competition. However, in a free market, I should be able to make that decision, and suffer the consequences resulting from it, without the government having to get involved.

No, I'm saying that Eharmony controls (has a monopoly) on the market for "scientifcally based" matchmaking--unless things have changed since the last time I surveyed the online dating scene. I am not sure the extent of their patents in this area and whether they even can have competitors in this market.

All of my arguments are based on this premise, so if there are substatially similar services out there:

1. Please let me know because I'd like to try them out

2. This argument is moot, because--as you have been saying--a competitor could easily step in and fill the void. My argument all along is that this is a unique service that isn't readily available in the marketplace and therefore the government may need to step in and regulate its availablity, because when a company holds a monopoly it is easy for that company to abuse its power.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm saying that Eharmony controls (has a monopoly) on the market for "scientifcally based" matchmaking--unless things have changed since the last time I surveyed the online dating scene. I am not sure the extent of their patents in this area and whether they even can have competitors in this market.
All of my arguments are based on this premise, so if there are substatially similar services out there:

1. Please let me know because I'd like to try them out

2. This argument is moot, because--as you have been saying--a competitor could easily step in and fill the void. My argument all along is that this is a unique service that isn't readily available in the marketplace and therefore the government may need to step in and regulate its availablity, because when a company holds a monopoly it is easy for that company to abuse its power.
I know I said I wouldn't post again, but this is an informational post, not an argumentative post. I think we both understand each other's position, and as usual you make good points and are very courteous. For me I guess the horse is on it's last gasp.

I am certain it is not exactly like E-Harmony but there is a company called Chemistry.com that advertises on TV. Their specialty is matching people who E-Harmony can't match. Apparently E-Harmony doesn't even guarantee it can find a match for every straight couple. The commercials show some person talking about how they have a lot of admirable qualities but E-Harmony sent them a letter saying they couldn't find a match in their system. These were heterosexual people.

But lately this same place has started advertizing as an alternative for gay people. But, like you say, I am certain it is not identical to E-Harmony, but it is an alternative.

Now I'm gone.

I know I said I wouldn't post again, but this is an informational post, not an argumentative post. I think we both understand each other's position, and as usual you make good points and are very courteous. For me I guess the horse is on it's last gasp.
I am certain it is not exactly like E-Harmony but there is a company called Chemistry.com that advertises on TV. Their specialty is matching people who E-Harmony can't match. Apparently E-Harmony doesn't even guarantee it can find a match for every straight couple. The commercials show some person talking about how they have a lot of admirable qualities but E-Harmony sent them a letter saying they couldn't find a match in their system. These were heterosexual people.

But lately this same place has started advertizing as an alternative for gay people. But, like you say, I am certain it is not identical to E-Harmony, but it is an alternative.

Now I'm gone.
Some of my friends have had luck with Match.com as well. Just because eHarmony has a marketing-friendly "29 dimensions" spiel doesn't mean that they have a monopoly on the online matchmaker industry.

Back