Whick Lindeburg book?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
Well, as many of you certainly know, I'm starting to prepare for the 4th and hopefully FINAL time taking the Civil PE exam. I'm trying to get a head start on pulling my reference materials together. I've got all the latest manuals that NCEES recommends bringing to the exam, but one older book I have is the Lindeburg 9th edition book. I know it's a tough comparison, but does anyone here believe it would be worth me investing in the 10th edition? I know most of the stuff doesn't change.

Hey NC... I had an older edition too. When I first decided to take the CE test I purchased the 7th edition of the CERM, but things got crazy at work and I put off taking the test. When I finally decided to take the test, the CERM was up to the 10th edition. The advice that I got was that if I was taking the Structural PM, I should get the latest edtion, otherwise it probably wasn't worth it. I was taking the Structual PM, so I went ahead and got the 10th. Hope this helps.

NC,

The last time that I took the test, I ended up purchasing the 10th Edition. The only real reason for the purchase was that I signed up for the "the other board" Class, and of course the recommended book was the 10th Edition.

I know people who have taken and passed the PE on the first try and they used older editions. Of course, I never went through the 10th Ed and compared it to the 9th Ed so I really don't know ho much difference there is.

I used the CERM 8th Edition for the October 2006 exam - since I was focusing on Env/WR it didn't prove to be problematic for me.

:2cents:

JR

I have the 9th edition. I have never seen the 10th edition.

Presuming you will take the transpo PM, I think it would be a waste of money unless you could find one very cheap.

Anything that you see/read telling you different is just marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the CERM 8th Edition for the October 2006 exam - since I was focusing on Env/WR it didn't prove to be problematic for me.
:2cents:

JR

I just passed with an 8th edition CERM. To be honest, I can't think of any questions from the April exam which I may have got wrong because of the older addition.

if you have the other transporation books and are familiar with them then I woudnt waste my money on the new cerm. I used the 8th edition, I rarely even used it (the cerm) the second time i took the exam though.

The problem is that you dont get updated problems/solutions based on the new HCM and green book, so its hard to work those problems with current formulas.

Since the 8th edition references the old HCM what I did was find an old HCM and use the table of contents to find out which chapter the refferred to in the old HCM and then dig up the formula in the new HCM. I only really needed to do this while working problems (studying) but not on the actual test.

No one I tell beleives me but I would defin take the ITE Traffic Engineers Handbook and the ITE Planning Manual into the exam. Beg , borrow, steal, etc,,.

Road Guy -

I have the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook, but where do I find the ITE Planning Manual? I have looked for it and unless I am looking right at it and not recognizing it, I can't find the book.

Thanks!

Jen

NC -

Do you have Hickerson's Route Surveying book? I passed this last time, this I took some different books with me.

I borrowed a transpo textbook ( fairly recent one) and a geotech text (Das) from a university library, plus had Hickerson and Braj Das "Fundamentals of Geotech" .

Of course, I had that stack of books that they ask you bring for Transpo. I don't think a new CERM will help - perhaps you should look at buying/borrowing some others. You may want to get the Kaplan book.

Yes I took a lot of books. Those books were a part of my new strategy for the spring. I worked really hard on my weak areas, based on the diagnostic.

My bad, its technically called the”

Transportation Planning Handbook, 2nd ed.

Category: Transportation Planning/Goods Movement/Models-Planning/Highway Capacity/Pedestrian and Bicycles/Energy and Environment/Financial and Economic/Intermodal/Travel Characteristics/Transportation Studies/Transit-Planning/Transit-General/-Transit-Design/Parking/Traffic Calming/Policy and Legislation/Management and Leadership

I borrowed one from a friend, but its available at the ITE Bookstore Website

Back