Which Calculator?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Casio, and had a TI36 solar for backup. Somebody at my test brought a TI-91. When the proctor took it away he asked, "what am I supposed to use?"
the proctor replied, "not this" and walked away. LOL
It's hard to feel sorry for those people with the sheer number of places that the approved calculator list appears. The most obvious of which is the permission slip that they HAD to have to get into the testing site.

My favorite general calc was the TI-30XS. I had a TI-36something and found the buttons didn't always respond so I didn't trust it.

My second fave was the Casio fx115 xs with natural display. I think this would be my favorite hands down if I'd had more time to learn it and memorize the conversion chart.

I had a TI-36something and found the buttons didn't always respond so I didn't trust it.
TI went through a spell of bad keyboards in 84-85. Made my freshman year in college a challenge. You'd hit a key...nothing. Hit again and the number would appear multiple times.

^ I had the TI-55II back then. Remember 1-800-TI CARES? They sent me a TI-55III free of charge. It was the last algebraic calculator I ever had. My next calculator purchase was the HP-41CV that's still in use today.

TI-30XS - 4 line display and the ability to recall multiple previous inputs/outputs. By far the most powerful TI allowed. Also had the TI-36XII and the buttons horrible.

TI-30XS - 4 line display and the ability to recall multiple previous inputs/outputs. By far the most powerful TI allowed. Also had the TI-36XII and the buttons horrible.
What about the TI-30XS MultiView™, it has a 4 line display, looks interesting and it's cheap.

BPH

Yep, that's it, the multi-view, got it at walmart for super cheap and it was all I needed on the exam.

I used the HP 33s when I took the exam on April 06 and I hate it. Which of the allowed calculators is the most powerful? It would be nice to see at least 2 lines on the display (so you could see what you entered last).
So which is the best/most powerful? :eyebrows:

As previously mentioned, the HP35 is much improved over the HP33, but if you don't like RPN I guess you should use Casio.

Calculator ranking:

1. HP

2. Casio

Well, I will leave 3 open because TI sucks!

when I finished AM exam I thought I made it, but when I got to PM exam( transportation ) I felt like I don't know If I will pass or not , I would like to see other people experience about that
TI-30XS was awesome. IT had multiscreen and a sweet fraction mode so that you don't type fraction for a large equation wrong

calc.JPG

TI-30XS was awesome. IT had multiscreen and a sweet fraction mode so that you don't type fraction for a large equation wrong
I think I may just buy a new TI to see how it compares to the Casio.

I have been a BIG HP believer, for over 20 years owned nothing but hp, and purchased the hp 35s, but was not impressed, and after trying the Casio, went with that.

Here is why hp was so great, back in the day;

1. Buttons were great, you didn't have to look at the screen after every press of a button, like some of the ti and others, never sure if it registered, or not.

2. RPN has been much faster and more certain for me, and no parentheses. You could do running calculations, no need to stop and start with "=".

3. The overall take away is that you have confidence and speed in you are calculations.

The Casio now give me more confidence and speed, why? Because you can see the screen clearly and review the equations you typed in. It's now a new paradigm with the better screen; no longer does RPN do it for me. I was sure I would like the hp 35s better, but it was not even close, Casio hands down. The Casio has a good equation solver that can display the equations nicely and also an "Ans" key, which allows running calculations (using previous answer in next calculation) like the hp. So, no looking back now, no more hp. I will take a look at the TI multi view with 4 line display, a bit of a knock-off of the Casio, might be interesting.

BPH

Back