Which AASHTO Chapters should I focus on?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegend

Livin' the dream.
Reaction score
I have the 4th edition 2007 with the revisions. Bought it just for the Civil Structural exam in October. I do zero AASHTO/Bridge design daily, so I am completely unfamiliar with it.

That being said, I plan on spending about a week (evenings and one weekend) trying to familiarize myself with it. What chapters are most important for the PE exam?

Hope to get a little help focusing my efforts.

Thanks!

i would be interested to see if anyone has thoughts on this. i also am a building designer and am scratching my head about weather or not to bring in the aashto green book or bridge design manual.

it seems that a lot of the questions for the structural I exam (practice problems from NCEES) focus on bridge design, but not many of the practice problems for the PE.

If there are only a couple of bridge design problems on the PE i say forget it, but does anyone think it is worth while to bring in the manuals if it isn't something you use daily?

thanks for the help in advance!

I'm going to bring in the bridge code. I don't think we'll need the green book. Isn't that for transportation folks?

I decided to look over the loadings chapter and be familiar with that as well as effective spans and flange widths.

Steel, concrete, wood can't be that much different can it?

There is usually a question or two on AASHTO stuff. I think the NCEES understands that a lot of people aren't in the bridge design field and these seem to be more like definition questions (at least that was the case when i took the test) and less like actual design/analysis problems.

That being said it wouldn't hurt to take the book and try to look through it and find the answers after you've gone through and finished the rest of the problems (if you still have time). When i took the test I was told it wasn't worth my time studying a new topic since the book is so large (I listened and didn't even bring the book to the test).

The book you're supposed to take is: AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 4th edition, 2007, with 2008 Interim Revisions, American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials, Washington, DC.

Back