What is your sequence of text book and or Practice exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
There are several big books and it is getting daunting. Do you scan through whatever reference material you have and then start taking practice tests? I have bought the standard recommended books here. 

So far I have quickly glanced through Grianger book. Too much theory. I have read some chapters properly but 90% of the stuff was flip through. Do you sequence through various books in a particular fashion? I am looking to go for a test in April 2019. 

You follow the textbooks with short description and the list of question which probably asked in examination..Refer such types of books.Then if you find some practice exam test join that and give test continuously..From these test you can get idea where your efforts become less..hope this will help you..

All the best!!

Here is a three month study plan that worked for me.  It probably could be compressed down to two months if you are really desperate.

In general, I think going through the theory is great but practicing problems and going through the code in advance was what I believe put me over the top.

First Month:  Started off taking the NCEES Practice Exam.  Scored poorly (< 60%), worked through all the solutions to questions I missed.  Went through Graffeo theory cover to cover, it was my main reference book.

Second Month:  Hit practice exams hard at my own pace:  Complex Imaginary Exams 1, 2, 3, and 4.  Scored in high 60%s - high 80%s (improvement noted along the way).  Went back and worked through problems I missed.

Final Month:  Took two timed tests:  Graffeo and NCEES Practice Exam again (most of it wasn't fresh in my mind).  Scored in the low 80%s on both.  Went back and worked through what I missed.  Went through 100 or so code drill problems which I found to be helpful and get me somewhat familiar with the code.  Went through all problems that I missed again in all sample tests.  Wrote down tons of formulas that were not in Graffeo into the Graffeo book for my reference, along with the ANSI device #'s.  The night before the exam I got a hotel room next to the exam location, a nice dinner, and chilled out.

Notes: 

-Start your application early!  In PA I found the application process and getting approved to be at least as difficult as preparing for the exam.  Expect to spend a lot of time on your amplified record of experience and pulling in your references.  I probably put in a legitimate 60 hours compiling everything and navigating through the state's channels.

-The 2011 NCEES practice exam has about 7 different problems than the current one so no need to buy the most recent if you have the old version.

-Make sure you have a copy of the NEC during your studying and a copy of the NESC & NFPA-70E for the exam.

-The plan above isn't perfect.  I'd say a good 25% of the questions I answered just from having 10 years experience in the power field.

-I recommend uglys pocket electrical reference for the test.  It helped me pull an answer out I wasn't prepared for.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote mine up as a 9-week study method (because that is what I had!). It goes into detail about what I did each week and with which resources. This is just my personal study experience. You actually still have almost that many weeks, and my first week was a shopping spree! Happy Studying!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back