what if?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
What if they started charging a small fee to send an email? Would you pay it? or Do you think people would go back to paper corerspondence and the US postal service start making money again?

Prices on EVERYTHING would skyrocket, but it would have to be a pretty hefty fee to offset the time savings of electronic data transfer. Instant messaging/chat capabilities would also go through the roof.

I still get junk mail. I can't see email spam stopping completely if it remained financially viable.

We could write a program that took the fractions of a penny from each transaction and deposit them into an account we setup.

I still get junk mail. I can't see email spam stopping completely if it remained financially viable.
I saw a report a few months ago that said that junk mail is the only reason the USPS is even still in operation.

Maybe it is just me, but junk mail doesn't bother me all that much and it isn't such a huge burden on my productivity. Few junk emails make it through and I delete. Once a week, I go through an email from the spam filter with emails that got quarantined. I take a quick look and the very very few that mistakenly get classified as spam I click on and they get delivered. I would be surprised if over the course of my 10 year professional life, spam has cost me less than a few hours and that is being generous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back