What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Fox... help me out with this.  I asked both Crutchfield and Rockford Fosgate.  The preamp outputs on the Kenwood car stereo I want (KDC-X501) is at 5V.  The RCA jack preamp inputs on my Rockford Fosgate amp says the input sensitivity is [SIZE=10.5pt]150mV - 4V[/SIZE]. Both say this setup will work.  I haven't specifically asked them, but WHY will this work?  In my mind 5V > 4V and therefore... no go.

Not a fan of the TechArmor ballistic glass screen protector... It has a hairline crack in the middle from I have no clue what, and also, never fully sealed around the edges of my phone at all. This one got a crack after maybe two months of use, and I don't think I'm particularly hard on my phone. The cheap protector I had on it before lasted a lot longer, but also had the same issue with the lack of seal around the edges. WTH.
From my experience, this is usually very phone and user specific. I've just had better luck with the TechArmor products and they have been quick to support any issues I've encountered. That said, I think I'm basically done with screen protectors for some of the reasons you described. I simply don't keep a phone for as long as I used to enough to warrant dealing with screen protector issues. In addition, most (if not all) the newer flagship phones use Gorilla Glass technology. Which makes then essentially scratch resistant. Note, not shatter resistant (but a screen protector wouldn't prevent a shatter incident either). YMMV

Any thoughts on best phones in the <$500 (preferably < $400) category? 

The battery has taken a dump on my S6, and I've not been happy with its stability as the hardware aged.  I just don't do enough with my phone to warrant the big money jobbers anymore.  Facebook, email, google maps, camera, alarm, and Android Auto probably sums up the only apps I've touched in about 3 years.  It looks like the Moto X4 is the way to go at only $300 unlocked, and I've always been a fan of Motorola durability.  Any other recommendations?
This is a tough one. Take a look at GSM Arena and look at reviews of some newer mid-range models. I don't think there's any one phone that I recommend which will be a perfect fit for you. You'll have a better idea of this. One thing to note on Motorola, be mindful of which model you chose as some of the older retired models are no longer having updates pushed to them from what I've read. Outside of that, Moto makes pretty good phones and is a solid manufacturer.

Ok Fox... help me out with this.  I asked both Crutchfield and Rockford Fosgate.  The preamp outputs on the Kenwood car stereo I want (KDC-X501) is at 5V.  The RCA jack preamp inputs on my Rockford Fosgate amp says the input sensitivity is [SIZE=10.5pt]150mV - 4V[/SIZE]. Both say this setup will work.  I haven't specifically asked them, but WHY will this work?  In my mind 5V > 4V and therefore... no go.
It all depends on the charging circuit and the sensitivity of the transistors used. 5V may be the nominal supply voltage, but they may still function at some level +/-. And typically if there's some type of indication that a support article says it will work, it means the configuration has actually been validated. :thumbs:

Another question for you @knight1fox3. I'm wanting to set up a NAS that will be able to store files from both Mac and PCs. Is there anything special that needs to be done to accommodate this or will that be pretty straightforward? Also, any recommendations for a NAS that don't break the bank?

You're a day late, Ble!  They had some killer deals on NAS and SSD's for Prime Day yesterday.

Another question for you @knight1fox3. I'm wanting to set up a NAS that will be able to store files from both Mac and PCs. Is there anything special that needs to be done to accommodate this or will that be pretty straightforward? Also, any recommendations for a NAS that don't break the bank?
Great. This is one of the best methods to stream content and also back up your existing computational devices. I typically create monthly drive images of all our PCs and store this data on my NAS. I'm not sure how Macs handle networked file storage permissions and such, but with Win7/10, it's very straight-forward. I'm sure there are online resources that can help in configuring a Mac for file storage, I just don't know off hand how to accomplish that.

As for recommendations, I suggest spending a little more towards a reputable brand for a NAS as you will get what you pay for in terms of reliability and performance. Spending a little more in the long run will typically result in less headache on your part. For my money, I stand by the QNAP brand of NAS components. This is the model NAS that I have. When purchasing, I wouldn't buy a combo kit with a drive pre-installed because that will likely drive the cost way up. It's better to buy the NAS w/o a drive (or drives) and purchase those separately. Presently my setup is only single drive at 8TB and my drive of choice is the NAS specific style made by Western Digital. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and good luck. :thumbs:

You're a day late, Ble!  They had some killer deals on NAS and SSD's for Prime Day yesterday.
Psssh. There will always be deals to be had without the need for a Prime day. And you most certainly DO NOT want to utilize an SSD in a NAS application. This would be grossly mis-applied.

And besides...

FB_IMG_1531911533390.jpg

computer nerds ;)

so my 15 year old ordered this stuff and made his own computer (without my knowledge) - everything works but I guess the processor he bought doesn't have a wifi card (or whatever?)

Isn't that a separate part that plugs in and then has a cord to the processor??

Here is what he bought - he has been using the Ethernet cable from our router but I need this PC out of my home office stat!

also note that a 15 year old working 40 hour weeks at $11.50 an hour can accumulate some serious money burning a hole in his pocket!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741DN383/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS53VR5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I have to eat my own words, as I always said my next laptop wouldn't be a mac. Well, I just replaced my old macbook pro with a new 13" one, and it's so pretty. And I suppose my return to iPhones is going to happen some time before the end of the year...

computer nerds ;)

so my 15 year old ordered this stuff and made his own computer (without my knowledge) - everything works but I guess the processor he bought doesn't have a wifi card (or whatever?)
I've had luck with TP Link wireless cards.  Tell him to spend another $50 on a good AC card and he should be good to go.

computer nerds ;)

Isn't that a separate part that plugs in and then has a cord to the processor??

Here is what he bought - he has been using the Ethernet cable from our router but I need this PC out of my home office stat!

also note that a 15 year old working 40 hour weeks at $11.50 an hour can accumulate some serious money burning a hole in his pocket!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741DN383/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS53VR5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did he at least us the EB.com Amazon link? :thumbs:

So first off, nothing will "plug into" the CPU. More commonly it will plug into the mother board (short raised slot-looking ports; see image below). What he'll want is what MSlacker eluded to in the way of a wireless adapter. These come in all different kinds of flavors from USB (Plug 'n Play, can be used on other computers) to PCI Express as a more permanent installation. Below are some recommendations in order of increased performance and complexity:

Good: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter  

Better: TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N300 PCI Express Adapter

Best: ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter

Also, what is the intent of the PC? General use or intended for some light gaming? Because I noticed there was no mention of a video card, memory (RAM), or hard drive/solid state drive. Also no operating system listed either. An OEM 64-bit version of Win10 Home runs about $100. Any other questions, let me know. Good luck!

220px-PCIe_J1900_SoC_ITX_Mainboard_IMG_1820.JPG

I didn't even know he had ordered this shit until it all showed up on our doorstep - remember the younger brother on better off dead? - that's my youngest son ;)

I think he wants to play stupid online computer games like every other 15 year old and 22 year old kid at my office.. - He took the graphics card out of his old computer (which was a POS)

motherboard that's what I meant - I think the one he bought doesn't have a place to plug it (the thing that makes the wifi work) into?

mboard.jpg

I think he wants to play stupid online computer games like every other 15 year old and 22 year old kid at my office.. - He took the graphics card out of his old computer (which was a POS)

motherboard that's what I meant - I think the one he bought doesn't have a place to plug it (the thing that makes the wifi work) into?
Ah ok. Well hopefully the old video card (depending on how old) is compatible with this new motherboard he purchased. Not all interface designs are backwards compatible and it only takes once to try and insert into an incompatible slot (insert joke here) and damage is likely to occur. So for the 2nd and 3rd Wi-Fi adapter recommendations I made, either of those would plug into one of the smaller slots on the bottom of the motherboard (see image below).

Untitled (1003x706).jpg

cool - I figured they wouldn't sell a new one without that function? (but I haven't really looked at it) thanks!  I will point him to your links - not sure when he gets paid again...

I think he also ordered this book:

framed175betteroffdead.jpg

So dumb question - if you order those tp link cards do they come with the cable or do I need to pick one of those up as well?

Can’t tell from the Newegg site?

Thanks

So dumb question - if you order those tp link cards do they come with the cable or do I need to pick one of those up as well?

Can’t tell from the Newegg site?

Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by cable. The antennas are coupled directly to each device. There is no cable, only Zuul. :thumbs:

If you mean the connection between the card and the motherboard, that is accomplished via the PCI-Express connector I indicated above.

Last edited by a moderator:
@knight1fox3 Apparently Windows 10 doesn't come with Calculator pre-installed. Our IT guy stopped at my desk, Googled "calculator" and tried to install an executable file from one of those random ads on the side of the CNET download page. I looked on in horror and squeaked out a "Please don't install malware on my machine". He looked at me in exasperation and said, "Please. If I install a virus on your machine, I'll fix it. Come on." Did I overreact?

Last edited by a moderator:
@knight1fox3 Apparently Windows 10 doesn't come with Calculator pre-installed. Our IT guy stopped at my desk, Googled "calculator" and tried to install an executable file from one of those random ads on the side of the CNET download page. I looked on in horror and squeaked out a "Please don't install malware on my machine". He looked at me in exasperation and said, "Please. If I install a virus on your machine, I'll fix it. Come on." Did I overreact?
It was on my home PC and on my one here at work. Both Windows 10. Not sure what you're missing.

Back