What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea why the GF's laptop has suddenly started showing a network printer as offline, when the other devices/PC's on the network can print to it just fine? I went in to everything I could think of, made sure it identified the network as a home network, made sure network discovery was on, I even tried turning it off and on again to no avail. Uninstalled the device hoping it would maybe pick it up the second time around, no dice.

Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan.
I get by just fine with my 200 Mb data plan. It's all about how you monitor it.
200 Mb? My son uses that alone watching his angry birds videos, lol. I consistently use at least 2gb's per month.
I have my phone set to connect to wifi as often as possible.
:facepalm: Hey if that works for ya. I think my inlaws even use more than that. ;)

Echo what Mets said. The Note probably tends to function more as a tablet with various features and settings. The S5 will function more like a phone (and has the waterproof spec). But check out how they fit in your hand. I'd also recommend looking at the HTC One (new M8) and the new Nexus that just came out. All excellent phones.

And word to the wise (as I'm sure you know), don't buy any extended warranties or additional accessories in the store. Look at them, but decline and purchase online. So much cheaper. Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan. If they try to up-sell you on that, again just decline and tell them you'll monitor your usage. HTH ;)
What do you think about the LG G3?
That also looks like a sweet phone. Almost identical by spec comparison to the GS5.

Any idea why the GF's laptop has suddenly started showing a network printer as offline, when the other devices/PC's on the network can print to it just fine? I went in to everything I could think of, made sure it identified the network as a home network, made sure network discovery was on, I even tried turning it off and on again to no avail. Uninstalled the device hoping it would maybe pick it up the second time around, no dice.
Need a bit more info on the printer, make/model etc. Also is this a Windows7 laptop? And how does it connect to your network, wired or wireless? If wireless, it might be a case of interfering channels where you could possible change the channel to something not as commonly used. In addition to that, you could also set the printer's IP in the DHCP table such that the IP doesn't keep changing every time you cycle power. I like doing this for the devices that are always connected to my network. Not only does it help me identify the device easier, but it minimizes the chance of addressing issues.

EDIT: If using Win7, perhaps try to configure the printer port differently. Go to the printer IP port (as an admin), configure ports, and uncheck SNMP Status Enabled. The possibly reboot and/or try reconnecting to the printer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox, will buying a different antenna help boost the signal on my router? I just got the TMobile cellspot, which is a branded Asus TM-AC1900. The router is on the first floor in the middle of my house, but I'm at around -65dbm upstairs in my bedroom. I've tried moving the router a bit and messing with the antennas, but the wifi is still slow in my bedroom. Will 3rd party antennas help or does the router not have enough power?

The short answer, probably not. An antenna is basically just an extension of the transmit/receive amplifier circuit to help propagate the signal. If anything, the most noticeable improvement would come from using a larger/longer antenna which would make signal propagation easier. Another antenna that is of equal length might have lower impedance which would help some but probably wouldn't be noticeable in your overal dB gain.

How many antennas does the AC1900 utilize? Is it dual-band, and if so, are you using the 2.4 or 5GHz band to connect in the bedroom? This does sound like it might be a question of overall transmit power, type of antenna configuration, or both. Another option that you could explore would be to boost your transmit power (disclaimer!) by employing a 3rd party router firmware (i.e. tomato or dd-wrt). This will likely void your warranty and increasing transmit power will result in the unit operating at a higher temp. So you would want to do this in small increments so that you don't cause any IC failures.

The short answer, probably not. An antenna is basically just an extension of the transmit/receive amplifier circuit to help propagate the signal. If anything, the most noticeable improvement would come from using a larger/longer antenna which would make signal propagation easier. Another antenna that is of equal length might have lower impedance which would help some but probably wouldn't be noticeable in your overal dB gain.

How many antennas does the AC1900 utilize? Is it dual-band, and if so, are you using the 2.4 or 5GHz band to connect in the bedroom? This does sound like it might be a question of overall transmit power, type of antenna configuration, or both. Another option that you could explore would be to boost your transmit power (disclaimer!) by employing a 3rd party router firmware (i.e. tomato or dd-wrt). This will likely void your warranty and increasing transmit power will result in the unit operating at a higher temp. So you would want to do this in small increments so that you don't cause any IC failures.

Three antennas, one for the 5GHz and two for the 2.4 band. I'm using the 2.4 band since the 5GHz doesn't seem to have as far a reach. I thought about doing that, but since I'm leasing the unit from T-Mobile (just a $25 deposit!) I figure I shouldn't mess with it too much. I'll also see if maybe putting it in the attic would give it a more central location and a stronger signal. I think we're going to be moving in June too so hopefully the new place won't have lead walls, lol. Thanks man.

^ you might also look a few of the more reputable repeaters. They are kind of hit or miss and can be a data transfer bottleneck, but it could be a low-cost temporary solution.

I'm a bit torn. I tend to favor the Google products, but we use Amazon Instant Video and Prime Music quite a bit, and you can only get that oin the Amazon one. For $19, I think I'll give it a shot.

Ordered one, but sheesh, estimated delivery of December 24th! Oh well, intent is to give it to the GF as a x-mas gift, since she's always complaining about how we can't stream anything to the TV in the bedroom right now other than the DVR stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered one, but sheesh, estimated delivery of December 24th! Oh well, intent is to give it to the GF as a x-mas gift, since she's always complaining about how we can't stream anything to the TV in the bedroom right now other than the DVR stuff.
Same here. I anticipate them improving the ship dates once they start rolling them out in Nov.

Definitely headed in the right direction with the brand and the specs. But price seems a bit off. Then again I would never buy a laptop from Best Buy either.

For the same price, you can get an equivalent model that has a bit more punch in the graphics dept. (2GB GeForce Video Card) which AutoCAD will appreciate. I've heard of PowerSKM but never used it so I don't know what the system requirements are. If there are any graphic intense operations, again the supplemental graphics will come in handy. The i5 should be sufficient as will the 8GB of memory. Which can always be increased to 16GB I imagine. Not sure how well versed you are with drive imaging, but for a minimal cost adder, I'd also drop in a solid state drive (SSD). Something like the Samsung EVO 120GB. But first I would go to the ASUS website to see if either laptop has dual HDD bays. That would be ideal because you could have the SSD as your operating system drive and then a 2nd drive for storage. That's how I have my ASUS laptop set up and it is pretty slick. HTH.

EDIT: Laptops are definitely trending toward touchscreens, but if you are going to use it as a workstation, it really isn't practical. They do work pretty nice with Windows 8/8.1. But from my experience, more on the multi-media front (i.e. you won't be using a touchscreen in conjunction with a CAD program...LOL).

Just when I was about to buy this laptop it's out of stock. Can't seem to find any equivalent ASUS computers to this model, any other recommendations? Prefer 15" screen, running AutoCAD, $700 budget.

Definitely headed in the right direction with the brand and the specs. But price seems a bit off. Then again I would never buy a laptop from Best Buy either.

For the same price, you can get an equivalent model that has a bit more punch in the graphics dept. (2GB GeForce Video Card) which AutoCAD will appreciate. I've heard of PowerSKM but never used it so I don't know what the system requirements are. If there are any graphic intense operations, again the supplemental graphics will come in handy. The i5 should be sufficient as will the 8GB of memory. Which can always be increased to 16GB I imagine. Not sure how well versed you are with drive imaging, but for a minimal cost adder, I'd also drop in a solid state drive (SSD). Something like the Samsung EVO 120GB. But first I would go to the ASUS website to see if either laptop has dual HDD bays. That would be ideal because you could have the SSD as your operating system drive and then a 2nd drive for storage. That's how I have my ASUS laptop set up and it is pretty slick. HTH.

EDIT: Laptops are definitely trending toward touchscreens, but if you are going to use it as a workstation, it really isn't practical. They do work pretty nice with Windows 8/8.1. But from my experience, more on the multi-media front (i.e. you won't be using a touchscreen in conjunction with a CAD program...LOL).
Just when I was about to buy this laptop it's out of stock. Can't seem to find any equivalent ASUS computers to this model, any other recommendations? Prefer 15" screen, running AutoCAD, $700 budget.
Ya laptop stock generally tends to move at a decent pace. How about this MSI laptop? Similar specs and within the budget you indicated. MSI tends to cater to the gaming community but from what I have read, make a quality product. Seems to get good reviews too. I myself have never owned/used an MSI machine but don't see any reason that I wouldn't. Have a look and see what you think. Let me know if you have further questions. I didn't pull up the mfr specs but hopefully the MSI model has 2 drive bays because I still stand by my recommendation of manually installing a SSD.

That's actually the one I was looking at last night. Just didn't know anything about MSI. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Here's a weird one for you. I have my PC hooked up to my receiver using HDMI from my video card (GTX770) for audio and video. Everything works great until I switch inputs or shut down my receiver. I tried switching to using optical out from my motherboard to the receiver and the problem goes away. The problem with that is that I can't get 5.1 from some games using the optical out.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? The only way I know how to solve it is by restarting the computer, but that gets annoying since I don't have a remote to turn it on.

How old is the receiver? And can you configure either the HDMI and/or optical ports within the AVR? Some times the input isn't configured for the type of Dolby sound you want, in this case, 5.1. Also, have you updated your NVidia drivers lately?

Back