What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building an ITX (small form-factor) PC for a local automotive shop to use as software hosting server. Case is really sleek looking with a small footprint. Looking forward to building it this weekend.

That's a sweet case. I wanted to go ITX with my gaming PC/HTPC build, but I couldn't find one that would fit my video card so I ended up with mATX instead.
Ya I might have to build another one for myself! LOL The motherboard I selected is pretty sweet too. Has on-board wireless-AC & Bluetooth 4.0.

mATX is nice as well. Some cool mATX cases out there.

Yeah, I didn't get a cool case though. I got the cheapest functional case that would hold my video card and fit my media center, lol. It doesn't really matter though since the door's closed most of the time. I put it horizontally so it looks better than it did in this picture.

9821865324_e2d6bfd5b5_z.jpg

^ cool! Looks like that is a Corsair "Carbide" series case? I really like Corsair's case line-up and typically recommend them when building desktop PCs for people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it leveled down to three options

1- Note 4

2- S5

3-HTC 8X

The third is only really there because I haven't completely ruled it out yet and am still considering it but not as serious as the other two. From my understanding though the "computer type" specs on the first two are pretty dang similar and I'm looking to confirm that. Ultimately when I go to the store in two weeks, it will only be a matter of which feels better in my hand I think. (although the S5 and it's talent with dealing with water is VERY appealing)

any input?

1- Note 4

2- S5

3-HTC 8X

The third is only really there because I haven't completely ruled it out yet and am still considering it but not as serious as the other two. From my understanding though the "computer type" specs on the first two are pretty dang similar and I'm looking to confirm that. Ultimately when I go to the store in two weeks, it will only be a matter of which feels better in my hand I think. (although the S5 and it's talent with dealing with water is VERY appealing)

any input?
or doggie drool

1- Note 4

2- S5

3-HTC 8X

any input?

I would rule out #3 if you're used to Android. Between the Note and the S5, I think it's just a matter of preference. They are both very similar spec-wise, so do you want the big screen or the little screen?

Echo what Mets said. The Note probably tends to function more as a tablet with various features and settings. The S5 will function more like a phone (and has the waterproof spec). But check out how they fit in your hand. I'd also recommend looking at the HTC One (new M8) and the new Nexus that just came out. All excellent phones.

And word to the wise (as I'm sure you know), don't buy any extended warranties or additional accessories in the store. Look at them, but decline and purchase online. So much cheaper. Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan. If they try to up-sell you on that, again just decline and tell them you'll monitor your usage. HTH ;)

Echo what Mets said. The Note probably tends to function more as a tablet with various features and settings. The S5 will function more like a phone (and has the waterproof spec). But check out how they fit in your hand. I'd also recommend looking at the HTC One (new M8) and the new Nexus that just came out. All excellent phones.

And word to the wise (as I'm sure you know), don't buy any extended warranties or additional accessories in the store. Look at them, but decline and purchase online. So much cheaper. Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan. If they try to up-sell you on that, again just decline and tell them you'll monitor your usage. HTH ;)

Thanks! (and our data plan is 18 GB but that's more than just the phone, although we seem to consistently be using about 12 to 14 each month so we'll probably see if we can downgrade it)

Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan.

I get by just fine with my 200 Mb data plan. It's all about how you monitor it.

I beg to differ, I monitor it, I can tell you right now with just about a week left in the month we are at 10.192GB... however the majority of that data usage is on the hot spot not on either phone. I have to juggle that data plan with the satellite data allowance and ensure that we don't go over on either plan, so it's not uncommon for the Verizon to become our primary internet service sometimes.

Not sure what data plan you have now, but I don't see you needing more than a 4GB plan.

I get by just fine with my 200 Mb data plan. It's all about how you monitor it.

200 Mb? My son uses that alone watching his angry birds videos, lol. I consistently use at least 2gb's per month.

I have my phone set to connect to wifi as often as possible.

I don't trust random networks... heck I won't even connect to our work network

What do you think about the LG G3?

Back