What are your nerdy engineering traits?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
What nerdy engineer things do you do? What do people give you a hard time about?

I'll go first. I wear (and love) my .com/products/archive/Watches/Databank/DBC62-1/'>Casio DBC-62 calculator watch.

casio-dbc-62-c07965.jpg

I should improve upon this. What everyone gives me crap about regarding my engineeredness:

1. concrete vs cement

2. aluminum foil vs tin foil

What my wife gives me crap about regarding my engineeredness:

1. Anytime I try to explain anything related to civil engineering, site development, etc. It is usually followed with "Ok. I don't care."

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing what I know about computer systems both hardware and software related.

Being a Life-Hacker.

The TI-86 calculator app on my phone.

Although I just realized that when I downloaded it to my new phone I lost the ROM file, so the emulator doesn't work anymore :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't have any. People think I'm a Harley riding chain smoker. I'm neither.

And I can't figure out why they think that.

Water Heater vs. Hot Water Heater

I'll echo NJMike's aluminum vs tin foil - just called my wife out on that the other day. She was not amused.....

Having to "repack" the dishwasher more efficiently so as to get more dishes in there.

I repack the dish washer too!!

I am a fan of routine and order. Don't you dare rearrange something I have organized

I repack the dish washer too!!

I am a fan of routine and order. Don't you dare rearrange something I have organized

Structure and organization are good!!

These might be more OCD than nerdy engineer traits.......

Shirts and pants all face the same direction - both on the hangers and in the closet.

Paper money all faces the same direction and sorted in my wallet from lowest to highest denomination.

I untangle people's phone cords at the office......

I carry a multi-tool on my key chain.

I never have a pen. I always have a mechanical pencil.

My paces are exactly 5 feet (well, within a few inches depending on grade). (Handy for setting up a game of horseshoes, or measuring rooms.)

I guess I don't have any.
Refusing to embrace technology improvements. <insert "get of my lawn" and/or govt. conspiracy theory here> ;)

Isn't that anti-nerdy and anti-engineering?

I actually embrace technology improvements, but not if the cost is loss of privacy or if there is no additional benefit.

I'm private and cheap. I guess cheapness is nerdy.

Shirts and pants all face the same direction - both on the hangers and in the closet.

Makes it easier to grab stuff and throw it out the window in a fire. So said my dad. The engineer.

OMG this was how we were trained in our house!!! except it was to help the fire fighters in case they needed to check our clothes and make sure they weren't on fire anymore... if all the hangers faced the same way, they could do it faster and easier...

Back