Well I took the 2001 NCEES sample exam today...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeysVee

MASTER SPAMMER!
Reaction score
I took the 2001 ME sample exam today under exam-like conditions and scored 32 in the morning and 22 in the afternoon (HVAC). This gives me a total score of 54. That's close to the estimated passing score of 56!

A couple of things to consider is... I took this sample exam in 2006 and I think it may have helped me on a few problems in the morning but back in 2006 I took the thermal/fluids afternoon so I don't think that helped the afternoon score. I remembered how to do a few of the morning problems so I think my score should be adjusted down by ~4 on the morning section. Also, I remember when I took the real thing in 2006 I walked out thinking how much easier the 2001 sample was in comparison to the real thing. So I still have a ways to go.

The good thing is....I still got 34 days to go! I think in 34 days I can really add to my afternoon score since I have only spent about 1 week of the past 10 weeks studying the HVAC section (which will be my afternoon section). I did all the other sections first then just started focusing on the HVAC. So from this point forward I will focus on HVAC. I will be taking the 2008 sample exam on October 10th so that will give me another good exam to measure where I am.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the score I got today with 34 days to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on your way! And don't forget to update your color coded schedule.

I took the 2008 version of the NCEES Sample Test and I wanna say I scored around 58 or so. I only took it 2 weeks before the test but going over the problems I missed, in detail is one of the main reasons I passed.

Along with a lot of time organization of my references, attending a Review Course, and lastly a very fundamentals heavy BS ME curriculum.

I took the 2008 version of the NCEES Sample Test and I wanna say I scored around 58 or so. I only took it 2 weeks before the test but going over the problems I missed, in detail is one of the main reasons I passed.
+1

I scored a 56 on my NCEES sample test 2 weeks ahead of time and passed the PE. Reworking all of those problems afterwards didn't hurt.

You are way better than me! I only score 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon (T&F) for the NCEE 2001 samples but this is my first try.....I need more more partice now....only a month away.

After I look up the answer that a lot of the problems used simple equations....I should remeber more problems like this or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are way better than me! I only score 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon (T&F) for the NCEE 2001 samples but this is my first try.....I need more more partice now....only a month away.
After I look up the answer that a lot of the problems used simple equations....I should remeber more problems like this or so.

Two days after I took the morning and HVAC afternoon, I worked the T/Fs afternoon section and got a 23. So I got a 22 on the HVAC afternoon section and a 23 on the T/F afternoon section. I'm going to take the MS afternoon section in a week or so.

So I got a 54 on the morning/HVAC exam and if I would have taking the T/Fs afternoon my total score would have been a 55. This is helping raise my confidence meter (which was a zero).

I heard the 2008 exam was harder and the real thing is more difficult than both of those...at least that's what I've heard.

Two days after I took the morning and HVAC afternoon, I worked the T/Fs afternoon section and got a 23. So I got a 22 on the HVAC afternoon section and a 23 on the T/F afternoon section. I'm going to take the MS afternoon section in a week or so.
So I got a 54 on the morning/HVAC exam and if I would have taking the T/Fs afternoon my total score would have been a 55. This is helping raise my confidence meter (which was a zero).

I heard the 2008 exam was harder and the real thing is more difficult than both of those...at least that's what I've heard.
I felt like the 2008 sample exam was very close to the real thing, the morning portion (of the sample) was a bit tougher than the real deal and the afternoon was a bit easier than the PE exam.

I am guessing it is a little different for everyone based on your knowledge base. I did feel the Sample Exam did an excellent job in prep for the morning section, not as accurate for the afternoon.

FYI I took the Therm and Fluids Section.

Kephart & Slacker,
Did y'all think the 2008 sample exam was harder or easier than the real exam? Thanks!
I forget which sample exam I took (have to look for it in a box in the closet), but I found that the sample exam was easier than the real deal for both sections. The morning wasn't incredibly bad. I probably found the afternoon MD section harder since I got mentally fatigued halfway through.

It will do you well to understand the ways solutions are approached in sample exams and how to find the methods in your reference books.

Just took the 2001 Sample Exam...33/40 on the morning but only 20/40 on the afternoon (Fluids/Thermo).

Anyone have any idea what the avg passing score is?

Some thoughts- I didn't finish the afternoon exam (8 blank, including some I skipped to go back to). When I started studying (in January) I went through the MERM & MERM Practice from the beginning. SO naturally, I can't remember all the stuff I did at the beginning (Fluids/Thermo).

I'll focus on that stuff for a week or so then take the PPI Practice Exam and see how that goes....

My brain hurts now.... I hope everyone's studying is going well.

Mike

The PPI sample exam is much longer than the NCEES sample exam. I am just working the problems without timing myself as there is no use. Some of the solutions take up a full typed page. I couldn't copy it in 6 minutes. It is good practice though.

Just took the 2001 Sample Exam...33/40 on the morning but only 20/40 on the afternoon (Fluids/Thermo).
Anyone have any idea what the avg passing score is?

Some thoughts- I didn't finish the afternoon exam (8 blank, including some I skipped to go back to). When I started studying (in January) I went through the MERM & MERM Practice from the beginning. SO naturally, I can't remember all the stuff I did at the beginning (Fluids/Thermo).

I'll focus on that stuff for a week or so then take the PPI Practice Exam and see how that goes....

My brain hurts now.... I hope everyone's studying is going well.

Mike
See the first post in this thread. The passing score changes but it is believed to be around a 56. Give or take a couple of points.

A 33 in the morning is strong. If I were you I wouldn't study anything except thermal/fluids from here on. I wouldn't waste your time on the PPI exam. Have you done the thermal/fluids 6 minute problems? Work problem after problem after problem but only in thermal/fluids....that's what I would do anyways.

I don't have the 6 minute problems, so that's out.

I'm reworking all of the Fluids problems that I wasn't 100% about (even if I got them right). I hadn't worked on Fluids stuff in a few months so it was a little rusty.

Tomorrow I'm going to finish reworking the Fluids then I'm going to do the Machine Design PM exam.

A lot of my mistakes were stupid because I was rusty, and re-working them helped a lot. Plus it took me a while to get through the MERM to the right sections. I was waiting for the practice exam to tab it out, so I'll work on that tomorrow evening as well.

Back