Watches?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also the list of personal items that are allowed to be on the table as approved by NCEES does not include a watch/clock.
With all the hipsters these days, it's just a matter of time until someone gets ejected for trying to subvert the PE exam by having a non NCEES approved sundial on the table!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

For my more recent PE attempt, I had an analog watch that I set to 8am and stopped until they said go, and made my mental math a bit easier than having to figure out adding 13 minutes or whatever past hour.  Then I knew at 10 I had 2 hours, and 11:45 15 minutes.  Worked well.
@vhab49_PE That...is probably one of the smartest exam tips I have ever heard. 10/10 will use for my next test. Tell me where to mail my $10!!!

....For my more recent PE attempt, I had an analog watch that I set to 8am and stopped until they said go, and made my mental math a bit easier than having to figure out adding 13 minutes or whatever past hour.  Then I knew at 10 I had 2 hours, and 11:45 15 minutes.  Worked well.
Now that's pretty clever right there! That's some engineer thinking. They should have past you just based on that. :D

I took my test in the Queens, New York City location.

My usual means of telling the time is to look at my cell phone (but I decided to leave that in the car so I would have during lunch, since another person I worked with said they do not give your phone back to you during the lunch break), so I wore a cheap Timex digital watch that I won  in some block-party raffle about 15 years ago (probably worth about $10 when it was new).  The flex wrist band was much too tight for me, but I figured I needed to keep it on during the test since I did not see a clock anywhere in that Community College gym.

Just as the test was starting the 'head cheese' came off of his Mount Olympus podium and asked me to remove the watch so he could inspect it.  After futzing around with it for a while he handed it back to me and said I had to keep it on my wrist or place it on the floor.  I probably would have been better off without it.

My birthday was a little more than a week after the test, and since I was not sure 'at all' that I passed, my wife gave me a new dial-faced watch with very comfortable leather straps, a stop-watch, and a lighted face.  To use if I needed to take the test again in October.  Now that nice watch is just sitting on the bookshelf next to my bed, in it original box, gathering dust.

NY you could wear a watch, but you had to wear it, it couldn't be on the table. No clocks or timers were provided in the gym the test was given. If you didn't have a watch you would have no idea how much time was left until they said "15 minutes remaining".
Did you take yours in the Queens Community College Gym on 4/13?  I was in the group of 24 second row from the front, all the was to the left (looking from the back of the room).  If you were there, did you notice how the head proctor delayed the start of the test a couple of minutes while he walked over to examine my cheap watch?

If you accidentally stroll in with a forbidden device and you're too far from your car/hotel, they should have an "amnesty box" where you can leave gadgets, phones, fitness trackers, and (gasp!) unapproved calculators. So don't stress too much, if you're not looking for trouble neither are the proctors, probably.
You just reminded me of a funny thing that happened with my test experience.  They actually did have an 'Amnesty' plastic bag (the gallon size) sitting on the 3x3 desk when I arrived at my seat.  The proctor instructed us to write our name on the white strip. then told us to put any unauthorized items in the bag which would be held by the group proctor.

I had nothing illegal with me, and when the early-20s female proctor came over to my desk, she said I was holding things up until I put my items in the bag.  I informed her that I had none, and she gave me smirk'ie look and said, 'Well, phones are not allowed", to which I immediately replied that I had left mine in my car.  She acted as if she didn't believe me, and came over two more times before we started and reminded me that I MUST turn my phone over to her.

After the test started, when I first reached for my TI calculator, she jumped up out of her seat and rushed to my table to see what I was using.

Finally, at the end of the morning round, as I head to lunch and walked past her desk, she looked up and said that I "caused her a 'lot' of extra paperwork."  When I asked how that was, she said that not placing a phone in that bag raised a yellow flag.

8582217bb81be6d819bd2d5e64892e35.jpg

You just reminded me of a funny thing that happened with my test experience.  They actually did have an 'Amnesty' plastic bag (the gallon size) sitting on the 3x3 desk when I arrived at my seat.  The proctor instructed us to write our name on the white strip. then told us to put any unauthorized items in the bag which would be held by the group proctor.

I had nothing illegal with me, and when the early-20s female proctor came over to my desk, she said I was holding things up until I put my items in the bag.  I informed her that I had none, and she gave me smirk'ie look and said, 'Well, phones are not allowed", to which I immediately replied that I had left mine in my car.  She acted as if she didn't believe me, and came over two more times before we started and reminded me that I MUST turn my phone over to her.

After the test started, when I first reached for my TI calculator, she jumped up out of her seat and rushed to my table to see what I was using.

Finally, at the end of the morning round, as I head to lunch and walked past her desk, she looked up and said that I "caused her a 'lot' of extra paperwork."  When I asked how that was, she said that not placing a phone in that bag raised a yellow flag.
Was it that hard for her to believe that an engineer actually read the 1-page test requirements guidelines? JFC. 

Was it that hard for her to believe that an engineer actually read the 1-page test requirements guidelines? JFC. 
I may have heard that at one testing location that a proctor didnt know what calculators were approved and left it to the test takers honor to not lie.

All kinds of people ya know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I don't offend anyone by repeating what a co-worker of mine said - "Well, those millennial's are used to having their cell phone glued to their palms, so she probably found it hard to believe you could walk around without one on your person"

The young woman next to me stood up and took a video of the test room, then put her cell in her backpack on the floor.  The devil on my shoulder thought this is on the proctors who are not saying anything, surely one of the HUNDREDS of people sitting behind her will rat her out.  The angel on my shoulder won and ratted her out - ethics clause won out and to be fair it would suck to take the 8 hour exam and then have one of the several hundred people sitting behind her email NCEES after taking the exam.

I hope I don't offend anyone by repeating what a co-worker of mine said - "Well, those millennial's are used to having their cell phone glued to their palms, so she probably found it hard to believe you could walk around without one on your person"
I've seen plenty of middle-aged people glued to their phones to dispel this myth.

The young woman next to me stood up and took a video of the test room, then put her cell in her backpack on the floor.  The devil on my shoulder thought this is on the proctors who are not saying anything, surely one of the HUNDREDS of people sitting behind her will rat her out.  The angel on my shoulder won and ratted her out - ethics clause won out and to be fair it would suck to take the 8 hour exam and then have one of the several hundred people sitting behind her email NCEES after taking the exam.
lol omg, WHY?  Why would she bring her phone in an exam room? Why would she need to snapchat the test crowd? Argh.

Back