Volume in Pond

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryJ

Reaction score
1.) If given in a problem the followings:

Parcel acreage, precipitation and duration and time of concentration, how would one go about finding the amount of water captured at a certain time period.

Basically, Im trying to find a formula to find the voulume of water in a pond if I just found the total flow from the parcel over a certain time frame.

For example:

I found out that after infiltration is accounted for, a flow going into a pond is 180cfs. Assuming that 100% flows directly into the pond. Say this is coming off a 1-ac parcel that is 50% impervious.

Is it the right thing to just convert cfs found (my Flow rate)to ac-ft(volume) and thats my answer (I believe this is the correct method, but not sure)?

2.) Next, how can one easily size the pond dimension required for a particular flow rate? Would it be correct to find the dimension (L , W & h) for the pond and check if that equals the the same volume of vater found in question #1 above?

1.) If given in a problem the followings:
Parcel acreage, precipitation and duration and time of concentration, how would one go about finding the amount of water captured at a certain time period.

Basically, Im trying to find a formula to find the voulume of water in a pond if I just found the total flow from the parcel over a certain time frame.

For example:

I found out that after infiltration is accounted for, a flow going into a pond is 180cfs. Assuming that 100% flows directly into the pond. Say this is coming off a 1-ac parcel that is 50% impervious.

Is it the right thing to just convert cfs found (my Flow rate)to ac-ft(volume) and thats my answer (I believe this is the correct method, but not sure)?

2.) Next, how can one easily size the pond dimension required for a particular flow rate? Would it be correct to find the dimension (L , W & h) for the pond and check if that equals the the same volume of vater found in question #1 above?

If you can send the actual problem, that would help provide some clarity in resolving your inquiry. But from what I gather, you need to calculate the volume based on a rate of flow and how long that flow will occur (i.e. rate x time = volume). There are standard hydrologic procedures used to calculate the peak flow based on rainfall intensities and runoff coefficients. Because runoff isn't constant during a storm, a quick method of calculating the required storage volume of a detention pond is to graph the runoff in relation to time and calculate the required volume from the area between the y-axis (flow rate) and the curve.

Based on my hydrology notes, most problems, if not all, require calculation of the the peak flow discharge rather than detention calculations.

Good luck!

Back