Voltage Regulation of Transformer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me solve this problem:

Tests are performed on a single-phase, 10 kVA, 2200/220 V, 60 Hz transformer with the following results are obtained for a fixed load of 3.41A at rated output voltage. The load is is a lagging pf load. Determine the voltage regulation for a load condition of 75% full load,  0.6 power factor lagging 

The answer is 4.86%

I tried to reverse the solution using formula Voltage Regulation=(Vnl-Vfl)/(Vfl)

Doing that I got that Vnl is 2306.94 which I have no idea who to get to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think there is some information missing from the problem, not sure how you’d get the voltage regulation from the OP. 

That's all that was given. 

View attachment 20200
Hmm. The 3.41A has got to be used somehow, unless that’s there as a trick. You could use that to calc the kVA of the first load, but beyond that I’m stumped as well. 

I think I’m going to have to sit on this one some more and see if I can think of it...

Wouldn't your no load voltage be your kva/amperage? 10E3/3.41 = X

and your full load voltage be 75% of that: X(.75)

Then apply your normal voltage reg formula?

Wouldn't your no load voltage be your kva/amperage? 10E3/3.41 = X

and your full load voltage be 75% of that: X(.75)

Then apply your normal voltage reg formula?
I don't think that would be the "no load" voltage though, because that 3.41A is said to be a "fixed load at rated voltage." Maybe it's the wording of the problem that is throwing me off.

I don't think that would be the "no load" voltage though, because that 3.41A is said to be a "fixed load at rated voltage." Maybe it's the wording of the problem that is throwing me off.
Regardless the answer, you're right. IT's worded like garbage. I would get so mad at spin exams and complex imaginary. It's all for nothing, any stupid worded question like this i would skip, The actual exam is like the NCEES practice exam so its worded a lot more thoroughly. 

Back