Vintage Christmas catalogs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember we had one of each of those (two dials vs. one dial) they were small little black and white tv's and then we had a giant console color tv in the basement that sat there for years after it stopped working (lime green screen). It was too heavy to move, so my parents just put the new tv on top of it.

So, one of the greatest days of my life growing up was the day my dad bought a TV antenna turner. It was a motor that mounted to the outside antenna pole and a wire trailed down to a little dial on the floor by my dad's chair. When you turned the dial, the motor would turn the antenna outside the house and you could position it so that you could pull in the most optimized channels. We went from 3 channels in the 13 and up range to like 7!

we weren't allowed to watch much tv anyway, usually just the news was on in the morning while we got ready for school, and then we got to watch Saturday morning cartoons before my Dad would cart us off to whatever "lesson" we were taking at the Girls Club or where ever...

I watched so much tv in my formative years that I totally rebelled as an adult and have probably watched a grand total of 150 hours since I graduated high school. Well, maybe a few more, but seriously, I watch like four hours a month only during Walking Dead season and before that, the last time I watched TV was about 4 hours a month during Lost season.

I remember when Turner Broadcasting consisted of WTBS channel 17 in da ATL. Used to love going to my cousin's house because 17 showed old LIS reruns.

The sad thing about cable is that even the 'good' channels (NGC, DSC, History) have become overwhelmed with freality shows and manufactured drama. Dropping cable has become a monthly discussion.

We've been cable/satellite free for over a year now and we rarely miss it. We have Netflix streaming and I can pick up most of the local channels with an antenna, so we don't miss much. I definitely don't miss the $100 a month to basically watch The Disney Channel.

The sad thing about cable is that even the 'good' channels (NGC, DSC, History) have become overwhelmed with freality shows and manufactured drama.
Yup. Cutting cable was the best decision.

We've been cable/satellite free for over a year now and we rarely miss it. We have Netflix streaming and I can pick up most of the local channels with an antenna, so we don't miss much. I definitely don't miss the $100 a month to basically watch The Disney Channel.
+100

^^ that works for people with reliable internet service or even reliable cell phone service where they live. Plus for what we pay for data between the two, I wouldn't want to stream much more than what we already do.
Do we really need to have this conversation again? :p

With the right range extender/repeater equipment, we could get you high-speed Internet. :thumbs: Already set up something similar for the in-laws who live in central WI which is considered "the middle of nowhere". ;)

^ that's just a Wi-Fi extender. I'm talking something with some real power that would get you a 4G connection that would rival a hard-wired cable/DSL connection. ;)

How did we get from the 1975 Sears Christmas Catalog to a $900 4G Internet thingy?

Back