Vintage Christmas catalogs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, a set of those Super Bowl pins from the 1986 catalog (in the first couple of pages) showed up on Pawn Stars!

Awesome! I found one of my favorite toys ever, in the 1975 Sears catalog: the girder and panel skyscraper set. This thing was awesome - I always wondered why it disappeared. I could buy it today, if it was available:

SearsC1975_Page509.jpg

Aaaaay, Fonzie! LOL - 1977. Look at the Welcome Back Kotter action figures. I don't remember those!

1977%20JCPenny%20Christmas%20page388.jpg

Awesome! I found one of my favorite toys ever, in the 1975 Sears catalog: the girder and panel skyscraper set. This thing was awesome - I always wondered why it disappeared. I could buy it today, if it was available:

SearsC1975_Page509.jpg

I loved mine. I still have what's left at my parents' house. It is slightly different. The girders/panels are blue, the road is black with yellow stripes, and mine has a drawbridge mechanism.

Heck! I didn't know they made them as far back as 1958!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sprint+sanyo+flip+phone&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xgirder+panel+building+set&_nkw=girder+panel+building+set&_sacat=0

Go shopping, Dleg!

the tinkertoy set we ordered for minisnick has a skyscrapper part to it, fromt he picture it looks slightly grid like, but not quite what that old school one is.

"Remote control lets you change channels up or down, adjust volume, turn set on or off from the comfort of your chair."

Up OR down! That's fancy!

(I do remember our remote that only featured these options.)

Remote control?!

I swear, up until the age of about 14, I thought my name was "Change the Channel to..."

Same story!

And I thought we were cool because our cable box came with a remote control (with a wire attached to the cable box).

True story!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I remember those, and I still think of the channel line-up in the 12-key format those things used to be in, with 1-12, flip a switch and get 13-24, and then the final tier 25-36. I still feel like I am in the future when I watch any channel higher than 36 today.

Yes, there were two dials on our tv, 1-12 and 13- some number that was only static. In fact, in the 13 and up range, there were only three channels that we got, channel 35, 44, and 65. 35 was Fox, 44 was something else that always played the best cartoons, and 65 was one of those weird ones that only kind of came in every once in a while and when it did it was like "whoa, what is this show, it's different and cool!!!". Even if it sucked.

Yes, there were two dials on our tv, 1-12 and 13- some number that was only static.

It was 82 or 83 at the upper range, IIRC.

On our TV 2-12 were in the center on a black knob, and 13-? were on a silver ring on the circumference of the black knob.

I got channel changing duties AND movie the antenna duties. The antenna was some modified remote ham unit. Dak-da-dak-stop...move it back-dak-good.

Back