Vertical Irregularity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
If you have 4 story building, the building has shear walls in the upper 3 stories but it does not have one i the first story. Do you consider this Vertical Irregularity Type (4) or not?

If you have 4 story building, the building has shear walls in the upper 3 stories but it does not have one i the first story. Do you consider this Vertical Irregularity Type (4) or not?
I think I would consider that a Type 1b Vertical Irregularity - Extreme Soft Story. Type 4 would be if there was a shear wall in the first story but located in a different place.

I think I would consider that a Type 1b Vertical Irregularity - Extreme Soft Story. Type 4 would be if there was a shear wall in the first story but located in a different place.
Well, Vertical Irregularity type (4) also exists if there is change in stiffness between stories. Can not we consider that the stiffness in the first story became = zero and as a result, consider it vertical irregularity type (4).

I am saying this because I am trying to figure out why some text books consider it vertical irregularity type (4).

Thanks

Well, Vertical Irregularity type (4) also exists if there is change in stiffness between stories. Can not we consider that the stiffness in the first story became = zero and as a result, consider it vertical irregularity type (4).

I am saying this because I am trying to figure out why some text books consider it vertical irregularity type (4).

Thanks
That's strange about the textbooks, I guess you could consider it a type (4) since there is a reduction in stiffness. However I do still maintain that 1b fits this particular situation more closely.

Irregularity 4 may apply. since Type 1 and 5 actually are judged based on the contribution of the whole story.

Back