Unions - Strike/Potential to Strike (O&G)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Anyone else dealing with this issue? Not striking at the sites/company I work with yet, but the potential to do so has caused some "adjustments".

Thoughts?

Depends on the circumstances. I'm not In any unions but personally I think most strikes these days are extortion for worker benefits that the company can't afford and that most non-Union workers don't get anyway. In grneral I don't have a lot of sympathy for the strikers

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the circumstances. I'm not In any unions but personally I think most strikes these days are extortion for worker benefits that the company can't afford and that most non-Union workers don't get anyway. In grneral I don't have a lot of sympathy for the strikers
I do feel that way too. My thing is they keep saying it's about safety, but don't pony up on exactly what. Kind of makes me wonder if that's the cover story so people will feel sympathy instead of berating them when a lot of people are looking for work right now.

Not only that, but they complained about health insurance being too high. Well, I do believe we all have had our insurance cost go up. Why should they be different.

I'm always amazed / annoyed at these unions hanging on to the "contractual" guaranteed health care that often had its roots in the 80's salad days or before. Times are changing and the government keeps making the working people pay more for healthcare to cover the expenses of the non-working elderly and social assistance beneficiaries. Why do the unions feel they should be exempted from these increased demands? I firmly believe the union executives of the large unions are guilty of the same "greed" they accuse the corporate execs of. Again the loser is the poor schmuck actually doing any real work.

^^^^yes

Right now, only striking at Shell/Motiva plants. EM has been taking precautions, as I'm sure other companies are too.

I suppose it is along the same lines, but a teacher's union around here a few years back scoffed at their proposed contract because the new one stipulated that they pay $5 for a doctor's office visit.

I'll keep my opinion to myself, but really???

we are up to $20/$30 for dr visits, then everything else is covered provided they are in network I think the $15 was lowest copay I've seen here during my 13 yrs.

we're a minimum $25 copay and they changed the rules. For example physical therapy sessions are now $25 copay for each visit. Last year they were covered 100%. It makes a difference when post-surgery one needs to have PT twice a week for 12 weeks.

^that would suck. not sure what they cover for PT since I've never had it.

initial talks are not going well with the new gov apparently.

Everyone finally went back to the plant, business as usual, knowing they could strike at any time. Continuous rolling extensions...norm now.

The teacher's union for the school district we live in went on strike a couple years ago. The superintendent & school board called their bluff and said they are done with the union. The collective bargaining agreement had expired, so the union had nothing to stand on. School started as usual in the fall and the teachers were happier because their salaries & benefits were essentially the same as what the union had previously provided but they no longer had union dues.

day two of no union contract in place. union/governor have agreed to one month extension while the work

day 2 of no state budget either...this one could get more worrisome than the above.

The bus driver's union are on strike here currently as of yesterday (7/1). No bus system in the big city has got to be quite an ordeal for those people who work/live downtown w/o a car.

And right now there's this 2-week music festival (probably the largest in the area) going on where most people do the Park and Ride and take the bus to the fest grounds.

Back