TV mounted over a fireplace

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ trying to give the old "hey look up there!"

I don't fall for that one.

Yes it's an issue, I'll just swing by and pick up the beers.

do you have space in the ceiling above the mantel? Install a garage door opener and put in a track for the TV to go up and down. John Wayne actually had a set up for himself where he installed the TV in a garage door track so he could lay flat on his back and watch TV

So, I have been busy at home the last month or so working on this item. For Mother's Day, I bought my wife a new leather sectional for the livingroom, we sold our old entertainment center, and placed the TV above the mantel.

She's taking a picture of the finished job, but here's an old before picture when I did the hardwood floors last year to give you an idea of what the livingroom looked like before:

37429_10150190917505062_871160061_12794251_1207445_n.jpg

Built a broom closet next to the chimney chase on the left side (facing the diningroom) so it's inset next to the mantle, and it now is home to our fishtank and a cabinet I built.

37429_10150190926665062_871160061_12794616_5541046_n.jpg

The mantle surround was kind of boring, and the wood didn't match any other wood in the house, so I prettied it up a little and we painted it:

37429_10150190926745062_871160061_12794619_276383_n.jpg

37429_10150190929120062_871160061_12794719_6548242_n.jpg

As soon as the wife get's a finished picture, I'll post it - we love the TV over the mantle.

Facebook is blocked here, but they still showed up.

Facebook is blocked here, but so is photobucket, which is where I suspect the image is hosted.

Looks good, did you run the cables in the wall or paint some raceway? Broom closet looks better than I'd thought too. The other view posted up above made it look like it was going to be a really narrow opening in the walkway, now it looks more balanced.

does it matter if the fireplace is a real fire place or gas logs?

I would like to mount it over the fire place but we burn "real wood" in the winter? I have seen it a lot but for some reason it just doesnt seem like a good idea to me???

From what I've heard (and we don't use the fireplace is why I considered this a small risk - if we were to use it again, I'd probably install a set of vented gas logs, and add a fan to the firebox to try to push the heat out into the room...), is that you should try to light a fire, and put a thermometer above the mantle where the TV will be located just to prove to yourself the temps. If you're not going to do it before this winter, just see what it registers first?

Supe - I ran the cables in the chimney chase - picked up a few of the "access" flush mount panels that fit between studs and mounted one behind the TV and one in the side of the cabinet. When I stand on a stepstool, I can reach from one hole to the other to run cables. I added a hook inside the chase on the left side and basically hung the extra cable coiled up inside the chase.

I was glad that the installer left the chase so open from the attic, it was pretty easy to climb inside, run wire, and cables, and beef up the studs behind the TV for mounting.

There shouldn't be much radiant heat directly above the fireplace, especially if there's a mantle or something below it. As long as you don't have a clogged chimney with insufficient draft, you shouldn't have to worry about it getting dirty/sooty either. You can give it a test run, too. Throw some logs in there, fire it up, and stick a thermometer directly where the TV would be. Putting it above a cast iron stove or something along those lines is another story.

Back