TV mounted over a fireplace

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?
Reaction score
My wife and I have debated for 6 years over how to make our livingroom arrangement work.

We have come to the conclusion that to keep the large windows in the back of our house open (not blocked with a couch), and view of the fireplace, that the ONLY arrangement that would work is to put a TV above the fireplace. It's going to be a pain for me to wire in and put a conduit in the chimney chase to route to components we would probably put in a closet with an IR repeater.... I also know that there are concerns about heat and the TV. I'm OK with how we'll manage that.

Nevertheless...

What are people's opinions / experiences with putting a TV over a fireplace? Do you like it? Does it hurt your neck?

What are people's opinions / experiences with putting a TV over a fireplace? Do you like it? Does it hurt your neck?
We have friends that have done it. I've never heard them complain about neck strain. I don't think I've ever sat and watched their TV long enough to notice an issue. As long as you are sitting far enough back from the TV I don't think it would be an problem. It seemed comfortable to watch for me.

As to the heat from the fireplace, these friends are already on their second TV, I don't know if the problems with the first one were heat related.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got our tv mounted over our fireplace and I don't have any complaints. We typically watch tv while sitting in a recliner, so that could help with the neck strain, but I'm not sure.

Allow adequate seating distance for the size of the display and use an angled wall mount and it will be a non-issue.

I would just put the TV in the fireplace, with the cap and trade bill, fireplaces, wood stoves and pellet stoves will become illegal to use. Problem solved by your friendly neighborhood big government, LOL

I would just put the TV in the fireplace, with the cap and trade bill, fireplaces, wood stoves and pellet stoves will become illegal to use. Problem solved by your friendly neighborhood big government, LOL
Dang it, I was planning on using it to burn that pesky styrofoam and plastic packaging I always get.

I have thought about the tilting mount, hoping that it would help - plus, I think we'd almost set the TV right on the mantle, so it's not up too terribly far, where the bottom is at about eye height when sitting down.

Just wanted to hear if anyone LOVED or HATED it and why. Curious.

I have thought about the tilting mount, hoping that it would help - plus, I think we'd almost set the TV right on the mantle, so it's not up too terribly far, where the bottom is at about eye height when sitting down.
The people I know that have their TV over the fireplace have it on a tilting mount.

Our family room has built in bookshelves on either side of a gas fireplace (which we don't use). I was really against placing the TV above the fireplace (for the reasons you mentioned above) and was happy with our old TV that sat in one of the bookcases. When hubby came home with a new large TV, the only spot it fit was above the fireplace. We've had it there now for over a year and I love it. Its not really angled much, but I don't notice it being too high.

SapperPE said:

What? Come on dude, be real.
I remember when smoke alarms were only required in Mobile homes, and only had to have a battery, not hard wired. Seeing as how fireplaces are less energy efficient then wood stoves or pellet stoves, it only follows. Here is part of a breakdown from H.R.2454 .

(1) AGENCY- The term `Agency' means the Environmental Protection Agency.

(2) WOOD STOVE OR PELLET STOVE- The term `wood stove or pellet stove' means a wood stove, pellet stove, or fireplace insert that uses wood or pellets for fuel.

(3) CERTIFIED STOVE- The term `certified stove' means a wood stove or pellet stove that meets the standards of performance for new residential wood heaters under subpart AAA of part 60 of subchapter C of chapter I of title 40, Code of Federal Regulations (or successor regulations), as certified by the Administrator. Pellet stoves and fireplace inserts using pellets for fuel that are exempt from testing by the Administrator but meet the same standards of performance as wood stoves are considered certified for the purposes of this section.

And, more

(B) Establishment- The Administrator shall establish and carry out a program to assist in the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves that do not meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(4) by--

(1) requiring that each wood stove or pellet stove sold in the United States on and after the date of enactment of this Act meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(4);

(2) requiring that no wood stove or pellet stove replaced under this program is sold or returned to active service, but that it is instead destroyed and recycled to the maximum extent feasible;

(3) providing funds to an eligible entity to replace a wood stove or pellet stove that does not meet the standards of performance in subsection (a)(4) with a certified stove, including funds to pay for--

(A) installation of a replacement certified stove; and

(B) necessary replacement of or repairs to ventilation, flues, chimneys, or other relevant items necessary for safe installation of a replacement certified stove;

(4) in addition to any funds that may be appropriated for the program under this subsection, using existing Federal, State, and local programs and incentives, to the greatest extent practicable;

(5) prioritizing the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves manufactured before July 1, 1990; and

(6) carrying out such other activities as the Administrator determines appropriate to facilitate the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves that do not meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(3).

Per my ergonomics engineering class, displays should be at or below eye level since it is natural to tilt your head forward. I suggest you hire an Industrial Engineer in your jurisdiction to have the proper setup. :)

No no no no no.... put the fireplace above the TV. Just build it up and cut a new opening.

Or better yet, cut a slot in your slab and install a motorized mount that will lift your TV (as if from out of nowhere) to in front of your fireplace. I don't think that would be too complicated of a wiring job.

FWIW, I believe that the only time I've seen TVs hung over fireplaces is because there was no other logical place in the room to put it. It wouldn't be my chioce if there were options. Lots of folks hang a large picture in the empty space over the fireplace but you don't stare at it. Similarly, you relax in a room with a fire going but don't necessarliy face it or stare at it for hours.

just my 0.02

Back