Truckstop Camping

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Anyone done any overnights in a Flying J or similar? Considering going super cheap on an upcoming trip and sleeping in the SUV. I figure I'll need curtains as a minimum.

not on purpose. just broke down near the only rest area on I-16 once..... I dont know if I would mess with it to be honest , lots of freaks out there.. I was in an army uniform, I had a .357 handgun, and I was stil a little freaked out, weird shit goes on at 3 am on the interstate...

How about Wal-mart? They welcome RVs to camp out overnight. Clientele may be a bit worse than a truck stop though.

Yep, camped that way several times. Lot lizards and noise can be an issue.

Still use pullouts from time to time. A cot in the back of the truck helps.

Edit - camp walmart is funny up here. All kinds of weird crap going on. Signs stating no overnight parking go unenforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we road tripped to San Diego last year we ended up sleeping in a gas station parking lot. The goal was to drive straight through because Mrs Dex was working nights at the time, but the drone of the highway and the rest of us sleeping was too much and she had to pull over. We were only there for a few hours before rolling out again.

Wasn't too bad, but it wasn't a big truck stop.

I've slept in a few parking lots in my time, but I was mostly alone. Flying J seemed like a good option for this trip because 1. they allow it and 2. there's a lot of people around. Not sure I could relax at a rest area, but that has more to do with the scarcity of other people out west and the NO CAMPING signs on most of them.

I think we might go for it, with the backup plan of some campgrounds or cheap hotels in each location.

Gotta 10hr drive to Destin coming up with the wife and 3 lil goodals. I hadn't thought of this option until now. I think I'll keep it to myself.

I would stop at a Flying J just to see the weird shit! Why would you want to avoid it?!

On a related note, I have found sunflower seeds (in shell) to be priceless when driving at night. It's impossible for me to fall asleep while chomping on those things.

Then when you get to where you are going, you can fall asleep right away (unlike when you load up on cola, coffee, meth, Monster Energy or whatever).

Back