Trial & Error Type of problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaidox

Project Engineer
Reaction score
Needs some feedbacks especially from past takers.

I'm just wondering if there's a lot (or is there) trial and error type of problems in exam. After doing lots of problems now (except NCEES/Lindeburg sample exam), I've encountered significant number of probs. (especially in MERM & practice) of this type where you have to assume initial value or the equation can't simplified..

I know if the equation leading up to the answer is the one that needs trial and error (or cant simplified), we could plug all choices and see what fits in.. and for initial assumption value you have to be reasonable (within actual range) or by good engg' judgement and/or experience..

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just wondering if there's a lot (or is there) trial and error type of problems in exam. After doing lots of problems now (except NCEES/Lindeburg sample exam), I've encountered significant number of probs. (especially in MERM & practice) of this type where you have to assume initial value or the equation can't simplified..

I know if the equation leading up to the answer is the one that needs trial and error (or cant simplified), we could plug all choices and see what fits in.. and for initial assumption value you have to be reasonable (within actual range) or by good engg' judgement and/or experience..

Thanks in advance guys.

I haven't taken the test yet, but I have taken the NCEES sample test. The sample didn't have any trial and error questions, and I don't expect them on the real test. Trial and error problems are much too time consuming.

Thanks in advance guys.

I haven't taken the test yet, but I have taken the NCEES sample test. The sample didn't have any trial and error questions, and I don't expect them on the real test. Trial and error problems are much too time consuming.
thanks mechgirl, actually that's what I thought too.

just remember 1. questions are written to solved on average 6 minutes each. If it would take longer than that, you are probably doing something wrong and 2. you are only allowed a scientific calculator, if the math requires something more you are doing something wrong.

I don't remember any trial and error type problems. Just remember, you have 4 (or 5) answers to choose from. If you do encounter any sort of trial and error type problems, you have your initial guesses presented to you. There is more to being successful on multiple choice tests than just the material being asked.

I don't remember any trial and error type problems. Just remember, you have 4 (or 5) answers to choose from. If you do encounter any sort of trial and error type problems, you have your initial guesses presented to you. There is more to being successful on multiple choice tests than just the material being asked.
bingo! I was going to say the same thing

There shouldnt be alot of guessing when starting a problem. you have your givens and the requested data. For me either i knew what they were asking for or i didnt. it wasnt a guessing game.

I took the exam, and I don't believe there is any trial and error problems like in Lindeburg.

No way you can do trial and error problems in six minutes.

There was one question I did via trial and error, as it seemed, at the time, the quickest and most effective way to solve it. After the fact I realized a better option, but I still got it done fairly quick.

So...there probably won't be questions that require it, but if you're a little freaked out and it's all that comes to mind, go for it.

I know I solved 1 or 2 problems through "reverse engineering" of the provided answers. I had the equation but for some reason I didn't understand one of the constants so i just plugged inthe answers until I got a constant that made sense.

Back