Tree Huggers get in here.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=medium]Sometimes it does amaze me that someone 80+ years ago had the foresight to say, you know one day this Grand Canyon will look like New York City if we don’t make this a Federal Park and preserve it. I am Glad they did….[/SIZE]

Lincoln made quite a few wise decisions...

Edit- and I am not indicating he was the one who said it about that particular location... but set the precedence to allow someone else to... so don't y'all start telling me I'm wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
The trail I mentioned that was over-run with people at Rocky Mountain? Japanese tourists--all with their cameras and shouting to each other and carrying on.

It really depends on when you go--at Grand Canyon we watched the sunset from Yaki point and there were only a handful of people there.... but that was in March and there was snow on the rim. Whereas my experience at Rocky Mountain was the first weekend of June.

White stuff on the rim, eh! (high five, VTE)

We just read a children's book about Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir and it made it sound like they founded the NPS system, but you're right. John Muir campaigned a lot of politicians.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/yosemite-national-park-established

[SIZE=medium]We did a BSA campout at Chickamauga a few years ago.(Last Major victory by the CSA before they ran out of money). I thought it was interesting during our bike tour that the ranger told us that up until the 1950’s the National Battlefield parks were all owned by the military. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So guess what they did with them when they needed a place to train for WWI and WWII? Yep- clear cut everything they could and used them for training. So he said most of the major battlefield sites around the east you see today, most of the trees and such are not the original civil war era trees, but that the NPS has been trying to recreate the parks as they “think” they would have looked during the battles.[/SIZE]

The trail I mentioned that was over-run with people at Rocky Mountain? Japanese tourists--all with their cameras and shouting to each other and carrying on.

It really depends on when you go--at Grand Canyon we watched the sunset from Yaki point and there were only a handful of people there.... but that was in March and there was snow on the rim. Whereas my experience at Rocky Mountain was the first weekend of June.
White stuff on the rim, eh! (high five, VTE)

We just read a children's book about Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir and it made it sound like they founded the NPS system, but you're right. John Muir campaigned a lot of politicians.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/yosemite-national-park-established
I had to take a class in "Forest Recreation" and we learned a lot of random historical stuff. And we designed and built hiking trails and stuff. Fun class.

How did you build a hiking trail?! Manually or did you supervise a construction crew?

How did you build a hiking trail?! Manually or did you supervise a construction crew?
College education = supervision.

But undergrad working toward degree = lackey.

yeah, that school had the attitude we would appreciate technology more if we had the manual labor under our belt...

Hence the reason I can station horizontal spiral curves by hand.

it was a good concept... for the most part... they only time I sort of hated it was when we were dragging a 2-chain tape through the woods to do a timber survey... in like 4 feet of snow... (in snowshoes)

I "supervised" the relocation of a trail in a national park back home (Kennesaw mtn national park) it was a dirt trail, we had a road project / national park wanted a new crossing location..

it all went smooth until the "Friends of the park Trail"people got involved- jebesus krist they were F'n annoying... :suicide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Desert_Protection_Act_of_1994

As we drove by miles and miles of desert I thought to myself, self, do we really need to protect "the desert"? I cant imagine another Las Vegas popping up so close by, and there are no decent rivers to support much civilation out there?

and we drove some back roads on the way back from Sequioa NP, miles and miles of oil fields, Californias dirty little secret?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+angeles,+ca&ll=35.555637,-119.088013&spn=0.000035,0.026071&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Los+Angeles,+Los+Angeles+County,+California&gl=us&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=35.555637,-119.088013&panoid=msRyBzkgIxNcxQDZgR033Q&cbp=12,101,,0,-5.33

^That's where I spent the first 2 years of my engineering career, logging oil wells in the southern San Joaquin valley. I fricking hate that place. Did you roll down the windows and catch teh scent of oil?

thanks for the picture and the flashbacks....

Back