I just took the December 2020 Electrical Power CBT Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlewis

Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster.

I came from failing the pre covid exam to taking the computer based exam today on December 1, 2020 for Electrical Power PE.

Here were my thoughts coming out.

The test hardness on a scale from 1 - 10 was a 6 to 7.

They through some curve balls in there where I had no clue what they were asking me and the word choice was iffy but that is usual. But, they had some questions that you could answer in 10 secs.

The computer was actually pretty nice. You get to flag your questions and even skip questions. At the end you get a "review" page where it shows you your incomplete questions and the ones you flagged. By clicking on the problem number it takes you to that question and you can answer accordingly. I like this way better than pen and paper because at one point i had skipped a bubble in on accident and was filling in wrong answers to the wrong question number.

Of course not every question is on the formula sheet, but we all knew that. With that said I did reference it about 30% of the time and if I had no clue what I was doing would say you could reference it at about 60%.

The only gripe I would have is that the PDF's that they give you would take a full 1-2 seconds to load while scrolling. My advice, as an example, when going to NEC T430.258 tables and such go to section 440 and go backwards else you will not see where you are at and have to stop to wait for the pages to load.

You can search the PDF's which helped a TON.

Here is how I studied: (Not posting this for haha look what I've done. Just hoping someone sees this and maybe get some perspective just in case this is the first post they see on taking the PE)

I put in 4 to 5 hours 3 to 4 days in the week and about 10 hours over the weekend all of covid since last exam. I did take a breather of about 1 week in between as I was burning my self out. I worked the ncees exam 4 times spaced out and all spin up and complex imaginary tests that I had in my books.

Long time lurker first time poster.

I came from failing the pre covid exam to taking the computer based exam today on December 1, 2020 for Electrical Power PE.

Here were my thoughts coming out.

The test hardness on a scale from 1 - 10 was a 6 to 7.

They through some curve balls in there where I had no clue what they were asking me and the word choice was iffy but that is usual. But, they had some questions that you could answer in 10 secs.

The computer was actually pretty nice. You get to flag your questions and even skip questions. At the end you get a "review" page where it shows you your incomplete questions and the ones you flagged. By clicking on the problem number it takes you to that question and you can answer accordingly. I like this way better than pen and paper because at one point i had skipped a bubble in on accident and was filling in wrong answers to the wrong question number.

Of course not every question is on the formula sheet, but we all knew that. With that said I did reference it about 30% of the time and if I had no clue what I was doing would say you could reference it at about 60%.

The only gripe I would have is that the PDF's that they give you would take a full 1-2 seconds to load while scrolling. My advice, as an example, when going to NEC T430.258 tables and such go to section 440 and go backwards else you will not see where you are at and have to stop to wait for the pages to load.

You can search the PDF's which helped a TON.

Here is how I studied: (Not posting this for haha look what I've done. Just hoping someone sees this and maybe get some perspective just in case this is the first post they see on taking the PE)

I put in 4 to 5 hours 3 to 4 days in the week and about 10 hours over the weekend all of covid since last exam. I did take a breather of about 1 week in between as I was burning my self out. I worked the ncees exam 4 times spaced out and all spin up and complex imaginary tests that I had in my books.
Thanks for posting so quickly, I hope you have a passing score! Good to know about the codebook PDFs, that is/was kind of the unknown for many of us.

Correction to original for NEC Tables for motors was T430.247-430.251

I can go into the PDF's a little more.

They were like chrome tabs at the top with each PDF labeled.

You could auto zoom the pdfs with a drop down for increasing the text size or decreasing the text size.

The search functionality and Boomarks are each on their own tab on the left that could be resized by dragging the bar to the right or left.

There is a bar right down the middle that separates the exam from the PDF's. I wish that could have been movable at times but it is not and not really a deal breaker.

Let me know if you have any other questions as Ill watch this post.

Also they don't let me bring both calculators in the exam.

I had to keep the spare in the locker they provided at the testing center.

They would have let me get it though if needed.

I will post more tomorrow but for starters:

It was cold AS F*** in the exam room.  I wore a mock turtleneck and pullover sweater on top.  This morning I thought, "in case it's cold, I'll wear a t-shirt underneath all this.  I can always take the sweater off if I get too hot...."  I'm glad I did this.  I would have froze if I hadn't!

They are very thorough about ID and taking a biometric of your hand print before you take the exam.  I resisted the temptation to ask, "Since you're doing a palm-reading, can you tell me if I'm going to pass?"  Yes, they give you a locker to put all your stuff in and you can only take one calculator inside the test.

Overall the search function on the PDFs made things faster to look up.  I liked being able to flag stuff and the computer would let you know if you had left any questions unanswered.

There was SO MUCH I studied for that wasn't on the exam, but I guess that has to be expected.  There's also stuff on the exam that I would have had no clue how to prepare for.  I know that doesn't help anyone here, but I don't know how else to describe it without going into detail (which I can't per the NCEES agreement).

Yeah I had the same thought about some of the questions. I had absolutely no clue how to work them or even start. I figured those were the "gotcha" questions. Hopefully they get thrown out?

All of the questions come from the syllabi for the exam.  Sounds like you did not do a complete review of the syllabi.  Also recognize that the test questions can fall into a specific category of the syllabi-- they will NOT be exactly a mirror image of the syllabi.

There is nothing designed to be spooky or tricky in the writing of the exam questions.  In fact, we review each question about 5 times to ensure that the question can only be interpreted in the way that the question writer envisions.

Hope that this helps.

Ended up passing the exam. Don't know the actual results yet as all I see is the green pass.

Almost do not want to go back and look as my anxiety has left the building!

This site has helped me on a number of questions.

Good luck everyone!

Ended up passing the exam. Don't know the actual results yet as all I see is the green pass.

Almost do not want to go back and look as my anxiety has left the building!

This site has helped me on a number of questions.

Good luck everyone!
Green pass is all you will be given if you passed the exam. You don't get a break down 

Back