Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend eating in the Chiefs Mess on the USS Yorktown!

& I believe that version of the Yorktown was built almost entirely by women during WW2 so I think it would make an excellent side trip for the bridal party!

@squaretaper I have been there 15 times so far. My wife is from there and it's like a 2nd home to me. I'll actually be heading there in less than a month for 4 weeks.

What would you like to know?
Hi @kevo_55 Neat! Oh, just curious about what to check out if you've been there recently. I can use Google for the major stuff. Just wondering if there's some other new tidbit or cool site (say, @knight1fox3's nuclear power plant!) or activity that might not make it to a search engine. I'm there for 10 days so I have time to take the train and jam around. It's a family trip but I can shoot off on my own, too. I'd like to check out some temples, or remnants of the Japanese Empire, a brewery, or some good food options (I will, of course, have to go to the touristy, but mandatory, Din Tai Fung). Mostly, would just like to pick your brain for what sticks out in your mind, especially for one who has been there so many times!

I can read/write Traditional Chinese at a low-intermediate level so I should be OK to get around. We speak Cantonese at home so I can kinda/sorta understand Mandarin (like 15-20% at best). Not great, but I can make an educated guess.

Also, holy moly! 4 weeks off??? How much PTO do you get at work? Wow!

For bars that are probably left-coaster approved, take a look at The Gin Joint and Closed for Business.

For restaurants, whatever you want.  It's almost tough to find a bad restaurant, but gets expensive fast.  For a group of girls, there's a place called R. Kitchen that is way more casual and does a five course dinner that they cook in front of you, but you need reservations weeks in advance.  It's also one of the least expensive meals you'll have there.  Just be sure to get some crab cakes eggs benedict for breakfast one day regardless of where you go.
The R. Kitchen sounds super cool! Will check availability and float the idea with the other gals.

I recommend eating in the Chiefs Mess on the USS Yorktown!

& I believe that version of the Yorktown was built almost entirely by women during WW2 so I think it would make an excellent side trip for the bridal party!
That sounds neat! We do have three engineers on the trip (one mechie, one civil, and ones structural).

And I'm the only left-coaster! Haha. Other people are from Boston, Philly, PA, and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For bars that are probably left-coaster approved, take a look at The Gin Joint and Closed for Business.

For restaurants, whatever you want.  It's almost tough to find a bad restaurant, but gets expensive fast.  For a group of girls, there's a place called R. Kitchen that is way more casual and does a five course dinner that they cook in front of you, but you need reservations weeks in advance.  It's also one of the least expensive meals you'll have there.  Just be sure to get some crab cakes eggs benedict for breakfast one day regardless of where you go.
I see no recommendations that include turkey bacon and/or chicken wings. Recommendation denied.

Hi @kevo_55 Neat! Oh, just curious about what to check out if you've been there recently. I can use Google for the major stuff. Just wondering if there's some other new tidbit or cool site (say, @knight1fox3's nuclear power plant!) or activity that might not make it to a search engine. I'm there for 10 days so I have time to take the train and jam around. It's a family trip but I can shoot off on my own, too. I'd like to check out some temples, or remnants of the Japanese Empire, a brewery, or some good food options (I will, of course, have to go to the touristy, but mandatory, Din Tai Fung). Mostly, would just like to pick your brain for what sticks out in your mind, especially for one who has been there so many times!

I can read/write Traditional Chinese at a low-intermediate level so I should be OK to get around. We speak Cantonese at home so I can kinda/sorta understand Mandarin (like 15-20% at best). Not great, but I can make an educated guess.

Also, holy moly! 4 weeks off??? How much PTO do you get at work? Wow!
Well, I have literally been everywhere in Taiwan.

First of all, Taiwanese speak Mandarin & Taiwanese (another Chinese dialect.) They write in traditional Chinese as well.

If you are in Taipei, just take the MRT. It goes to most places and it's in English. Lots of people will help you in Taipei as well. Taiwanese are very friendly. While in Taipei I would go to Xingtian Temple, Tamsui, Daan Park, and the Shilin Night market. I would avoid Longshan Temple and Snake Alley. 

If you go out of Taipei I would highly recommend going to Hualien and go to the Taroko gorge. 

I assume that you'll be going with family?

PS: I get tons of vacation at work, I'm a principal. I will be doing some work while I am there though.

I'm going to the galapagos islands and machu picchu in may | SEA-JFK-UIO-GPS-LIM-CUZ-UIO-JFK-SEA 

and just got vaca approved for my fall euro trip getting "boujee" with my squad in the south of france | SEA-JFK-LHR-DUB-NCE-CDG-LHR-SEA 

if anyone has pro tips I'm super open for suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q
Are you cruising with Celebrity? Or a smaller charter? Quito, Galapagos, and MP is one of their standard itineraries.

This year: I'm obsessed with travel as well. I've been to Beijing, Rome, Florence and Venice thus far. I actually got my PE results while in Venice (passed). I need to focus on domestic travel more. Planning on doing a St. Louis Missouri trip and one other place (not planned yet) during Christmas vacation.

Last year: Barcelona, Paris, London, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Planned on Hawaii, but had to cancel due to wisdom tooth extraction lol.

Yes, I have enough vacation time and an awesome manager lol! ✈️

This year: I'm obsessed with travel as well. I've been to Beijing, Rome, Florence and Venice thus far. I actually got my PE results while in Venice (passed). I need to focus on domestic travel more. Planning on doing a St. Louis Missouri trip and one other place (not planned yet) during Christmas vacation.

Last year: Barcelona, Paris, London, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Planned on Hawaii, but had to cancel due to wisdom tooth extraction lol.

Yes, I have enough vacation time and an awesome manager lol! ✈️
HFS you must get paid a heck of a lot more than I do.

Back