Transpo References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That book cost about $60 if I remember correctly... There was a point in February where the only reference books I didn't have were the PCA book and the Asphalt Handbook and I figured that I was so far into this, what was another $120 at this point (after the review class, all the application and test fees, buying all the 6 minute solutions, Traffic Engineering Handbook, Greenbook)... The HCM and MUTCD were free if you downloaded and printed them, and the Roadside Design guide is in a three ring binder so I borrowed and copied it from one of my friends.
Printing the MUTCD and HCM saved roughly $250 or more - the print copy of each are in the range of $125 or so without shipping. If you do not have the ability to print them out at work (double sided preferably), you could probably burn them to a CD and stop by a local print shop (they may charge you .05 per page or something - still cheaper than buying the book).

-Ray
Where did you download the HCM for free?

THe HCM is invaluble. It makes up for the shortcomings in the CERM. The green book is awesome as well. and the fact that you can download them, there is no excuse for not having your own copy. use your xerox subsidy at work, or go print them at Kinkos. Make your own tabs, don't rely on someone else's. highway engineering and asphalt handbook are good to have also, though I did not crack them when I sat, must of had the info in my big brain! :blink:

Where did you download the HCM for free?

THe HCM is invaluble. It makes up for the shortcomings in the CERM. The green book is awesome as well. and the fact that you can download them, there is no excuse for not having your own copy. use your xerox subsidy at work, or go print them at Kinkos. Make your own tabs, don't rely on someone else's. highway engineering and asphalt handbook are good to have also, though I did not crack them when I sat, must of had the info in my big brain! :blink:
Can the AASHTO Green Book be downloaded, as well?

That's the thing - all of my transportation references came from a guy who took the exam four times. So everything that showed up on his exams had been tabbed and highlighted, with key terms explained (units, clarifications, "get value X from table on next page" etc).
As a result, the last thing I thought I needed to do was add more tabs. I figured, what are the chances it will show up on my exam if it didn't appear on any of his four? But you would be surprised.
Can you guys who have some good tabbing on HCM, AASHTO, Traffic/AC and other handbooks, post them. Will be a good start for us.

I was checking on the web for Traffic Engineering Handbook. The search list a few of them by different authors. Does anybody know which is best one and if you know the ISBN nubmer.

Thanks

I've been trying to locate a copy of the Asphalt Handbook. I've ordered it twice, only to be told later that it is no longer available. NCEES references the 1989 edition. The Asphalt Institute is about to come out with a 2007 edition so it appears no one is stocking the 1989 edition. Nothing at Amazon, nothing at Ebay, and nothing from the Institute. Does anyone know of any other sources? Thanks for your help.

I've been trying to locate a copy of the Asphalt Handbook. I've ordered it twice, only to be told later that it is no longer available. NCEES references the 1989 edition. The Asphalt Institute is about to come out with a 2007 edition so it appears no one is stocking the 1989 edition. Nothing at Amazon, nothing at Ebay, and nothing from the Institute. Does anyone know of any other sources? Thanks for your help.
try with your school or local library.

Back