Transpo References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJK

Reaction score
Leading up to the exam, I was wondering which of the Transportation references were the most important. Luckily I had most of them available to me. So while its fresh in my mind I wanted to get this posted.

I took the following references to the April 2007 exam, specifically for the afternoon Transportation portion:

1. AASHTO Green Book - used quite a bit, a must have.

2. HCM - I was suprised how little I used this reference, but still a must have, due to the extensive information in it.

3. Traffic Engineering Handbook - this was well worth the cost, I used it several times for problems that I would not have known without it.

4. MUTCD - looked at it once or twice

5. AASHTO Roadside Design Guide - used it once. Definitely nice to have, since the a lot of info in it is not covered elsewhere.

6. PCA Design of Conc. Mixes - did not use at all.

7. AASHTO Pavement Design Manual - did not use, this book is too disorganized anyway. Hopefully the new edition will be completely revamped.

Of course its better to take any of the above with you, than not. Particularly if they are readily available to you (through work, borrow from co-worker, etc.) Also it greatly helps to know what information is in the book prior to the test.

Any other opinions?

I basically agree with your take on the references above.... the Green Book is a must have, I couldn't imagine walking into that test without the HCM (I guess it's usage may vary from test to test), the MUTCD is another must have...

The traffic engineering handbook was a key reference in my opinion... lots of information in there, you just need to know what's in there and where to find it. I would highly recommend this book to future test takers.

I did also find my college text's helpful - not going to mention any specifics, but a good back up to the list above.

When all was said and done, the only book I will have to return to anyone is my office's copy of ACI 318.... I was able to get my hands on a copy of everything else (either bought it, downloaded it, or copied what I needed out of it).

-Ray

On the green book, it's really important to have the latest version. I had the 94 Metric version, which caused me to miss some easy look-up questions. As far as I can remember almost all questions in transport was in English units.

Any other opinions?
I had all the NCEES-recommended references for transpo and last week was my first (hopefully only) attempt.

If I have to retake it, I will work my own index for both the MUTCD and HCM. I didn't realize how bad their indexes were until I took the exam. I would look at a problem and identify the reference I needed to use, but it was frustrating not being able to find the appropriate part of each reference. I would think I had seen the material before - in this book - but could not find what I needed.

I thought each book was tabbed more than enough, but it turned out to not be the case.

Maybe I should add more tabs instead of devising my own index.

Either way, the moral of the story is to not count on the index from the MUTCD or the HCM.

The only transportation reference I didn't have from their list was the Traffic Engineering Handbook. I had my traffic engineering textbook from college but it was a little out dated and didn't have as much information as I needed that I suspect was in the handbook. Probably would have helped me get a couple of questions.

I had all the NCEES-recommended references for transpo and last week was my first (hopefully only) attempt.
If I have to retake it, I will work my own index for both the MUTCD and HCM. I didn't realize how bad their indexes were until I took the exam. I would look at a problem and identify the reference I needed to use, but it was frustrating not being able to find the appropriate part of each reference. I would think I had seen the material before - in this book - but could not find what I needed.

I thought each book was tabbed more than enough, but it turned out to not be the case.

Maybe I should add more tabs instead of devising my own index.

Either way, the moral of the story is to not count on the index from the MUTCD or the HCM.

One thing I did that helped greatly was to photocopy the index of the CERM and bind it separately. That way if I was looking for something that was on ten different pages in the index, I didn't have to flip back and fourth. Some of the best advice I can give.

One thing I did that helped greatly was to photocopy the index of the CERM and bind it separately.
I did the same thing but I never actually used it. I actually created a whole binder with stuff like that. I copied the moody diagram, some of the appendices, made a sheet for each topic with common formulas etc and I barely used it. It was a little disappointing since I put the time into it.

I didn't take Transpo, but I definitely ran into the same problem. If you aren't well organized, which includes excellent tabbing of references, then you are definately at a disadvantage. One of the 'lessons learned' that I felt contributed to my succesful retake was developing my own notebooks based on my own organizational scheme. In this way it made sense to ME ... after all that is what really matters.

Best of luck - I hope you won't need to implement Plan B :BS:

JR

If you aren't well organized, which includes excellent tabbing of references...
That's the thing - all of my transportation references came from a guy who took the exam four times. So everything that showed up on his exams had been tabbed and highlighted, with key terms explained (units, clarifications, "get value X from table on next page" etc).

As a result, the last thing I thought I needed to do was add more tabs. I figured, what are the chances it will show up on my exam if it didn't appear on any of his four? But you would be surprised.

the only book that i wish i had that i didn't, was the asphalt manual. it was a simple question too.

the only book that i wish i had that i didn't, was the asphalt manual. it was a simple question too.
That book cost about $60 if I remember correctly... There was a point in February where the only reference books I didn't have were the PCA book and the Asphalt Handbook and I figured that I was so far into this, what was another $120 at this point (after the review class, all the application and test fees, buying all the 6 minute solutions, Traffic Engineering Handbook, Greenbook)... The HCM and MUTCD were free if you downloaded and printed them, and the Roadside Design guide is in a three ring binder so I borrowed and copied it from one of my friends.

Printing the MUTCD and HCM saved roughly $250 or more - the print copy of each are in the range of $125 or so without shipping. If you do not have the ability to print them out at work (double sided preferably), you could probably burn them to a CD and stop by a local print shop (they may charge you .05 per page or something - still cheaper than buying the book).

-Ray

Printing the MUTCD and HCM saved roughly $250 or more - the print copy of each are in the range of $125 or so without shipping. If you do not have the ability to print them out at work (double sided preferably), you could probably burn them to a CD and stop by a local print shop (they may charge you .05 per page or something - still cheaper than buying the book).
-Ray
I had both the MUTCD and HCM printed at our local chain office supply store and i think they were each only about 25.00 dollars or so(even with all the holes punched), it was only black and white though.

i called two of the chain stores and one was 1/2 of the other so check around for a good price, i was even able to send the pdf file over the internet to them, and then just pick up the printed copy on the way home.

c

The only book that I didn't have was Traffic Engineering Handbook from your list. I wish I had it. I missed quite a few questions that I had to make some educated guesses on.

I did take the Asphalt Manual and got two easy formulas that I believe are not covered in the CERM. I was able to purchase it when it was only $30 and I believe it was worth it.

Leading up to the exam, I was wondering which of the Transportation references were the most important. Luckily I had most of them available to me. So while its fresh in my mind I wanted to get this posted.
I took the following references to the April 2007 exam, specifically for the afternoon Transportation portion:

1. AASHTO Green Book - used quite a bit, a must have.

2. HCM - I was suprised how little I used this reference, but still a must have, due to the extensive information in it.

3. Traffic Engineering Handbook - this was well worth the cost, I used it several times for problems that I would not have known without it.

4. MUTCD - looked at it once or twice

5. AASHTO Roadside Design Guide - used it once. Definitely nice to have, since the a lot of info in it is not covered elsewhere.

6. PCA Design of Conc. Mixes - did not use at all.

7. AASHTO Pavement Design Manual - did not use, this book is too disorganized anyway. Hopefully the new edition will be completely revamped.

Of course its better to take any of the above with you, than not. Particularly if they are readily available to you (through work, borrow from co-worker, etc.) Also it greatly helps to know what information is in the book prior to the test.

Any other opinions?

Take ALL the references that are on the NCEES list. Just found out I passed but if I had not made I know it would have been because I was too cheap to buy a Traffic Engineer Manual. Fortunately I worked for a year in a traffic section of the State of AK DOT and was able to at least have some idea of what to do. But I was still guessing at some level.

Also KNOW those references! take the time to go through them and get a feel for what is there and where it is.

Excellent thread. The best one I've seen here. I will take advantage of this. Hey ya'. Yes you. Don't look around the other way. I am talking to you. Yes, you passed. Write here and let me, or us, how did you do it. I will ask nicely only once. Please?

Bumping this thread.Would like to read about good transpo books. If you have a favorite please post here the title and the author. Thanks in advance.

THe HCM is invaluble. It makes up for the shortcomings in the CERM. The green book is awesome as well. and the fact that you can download them, there is no excuse for not having your own copy. use your xerox subsidy at work, or go print them at Kinkos. Make your own tabs, don't rely on someone else's. highway engineering and asphalt handbook are good to have also, though I did not crack them when I sat, must of had the info in my big brain! :blink:

ITE - Transportation Handbook: $150 or so, cheaper on Ebay. After I bought it, I would skim the chapters and note what looked important - tabbed or made notes in my own binder.

Asphalt Handbook MS-4: Does not have an index - another one that you should skim through and be somewhat familiar where things are in the book. The Table of Contents will help to narrow the search a bit.

I left these two books in the bathroom until I had tabbed them up and skimmed through both. Just one small way of making that time a little more efficient!

-Ray

Hey ya'. Yes you. Don't look around the other way. I am talking to you. Yes, you passed. Write here and let me, or us, how did you do it. I will ask nicely only once. Please?

Without saying too much, there are a few references from the list which (combined) will probably only be used for a handful of questions. But without those books, you will have a very difficult time getting those couple questions correct. I could not have got them right. And if I was resourceful enough to find a "work around" to get the solution, I would not have had the time. (Although I finished the morning portion by 10:15am, I used all four hours in the afternoon).

Live with the HCM. Much of the relevant transportation material from the CERM and Green Book is common college coursework. But you will find in the course of doing review questions that the HCM is critical. And maybe it's just me but I didn't know anything from the HCM before I started PE review. It could be that my college transportation elective was pavement design (while most people did highway design). It could be that my municipal employment does not include roadway responsibilities. Either way, when I first went through review questions and there was a question where I was totally clueless, the solution usually had an HCM reference in Step 1.

Good luck.

Back