To distinguish AM vs PM topics when studying for other depths

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketanco

Reaction score
As far as I understand, for general study of AM subjects of Civil PE, there are two popular books: CERM and All in One. CERM being the one everybody recommends. But you guys also saying that in CERM there is no clear distinction of AM and PM.

So, for instance if my depth is geotechnical, how do i know where to stop for not studying PM parts of the other depths such as construction or structural or transportation or water resources ? Because it would be impossible to study everything in depth.

Another question is, as an arbitrary example which is valid for many subjects, in NCEES specs, about construction for instance, for morning session, it includes the following:

Scheduling
1. Construction sequencing
2. Resource scheduling
3. Time-cost trade-off

But for the PM section it includes the following:

A. Construction sequencing
B. CPM network analysis
C. Activity time analysis
D. Resource scheduling
E. Time-cost trade-off

As you can see there are three same items listed in AM and PM. For someone who will NOT choose construction, how does he know where is the separating point for these 3 subjects for AM and PM? and not to study PM for those? This example is valid for many subjects on all depths i think...

The distinguishing mark tends to be found within the practice problems themselves. There are overview questions in the AM that can be found anywhere in the CERM chapters. The PM questions are more specific to a subsection of a chapter. Take the practice tests that are available to help distinguish which sections you need to concentrate your efforts on. You will want a good idea of where to find things for each section in the CERM during the AM portions of the test.

When I took the test, I read the entire CERM cover to cover during my studies. I also went through all of the practice problems I could get my hands on. It worked for me, but everyone has their own method to the madness.

Good luck with your studies.

Thanks for the answer but I still couldnt find the distinguishing information in CERM between AM and PM. I plan to take Geotech depth. So for the rest, i dont want to study the afternoon problems or information. Except for Geotech, for all the other 4 areas, if I studied the CERM, how can I know I am not studying afternoon for those?

And forget about the CERM for a second, as i said, in many cases they are listing the same topics for both morning and afternoon. How do we know where to stop for afternoon information of subject areas other than our own?

you have the test specs for morning and the test specs for the afternoon section of choice. I don't see the problem here. If you end up over studying for some morning parts all the better. All the RMs regardless of the genre are full of more information than what is relevant....they are reference materials that help prepare for the test. They are NOT written to identically match the test. That's sort of the point. Being able to weed through all the information and determine was is really needed.

ok i see. thank you. then i guess only thing to do is to look at the sample exams of afternoon for other topics and have a good idea about them so i know what is am or pm.

not that i dont like to learn more and more, but just trying to get the pe first

thanks again

Back