Tips for taking the PE again

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for making it clear. And NOOO I’m not in to do this again!!!! Wish me luck!! 
The issue with the references is the questions you need the reference for tend to be easier "lookup the code type questions" or a "simple formula" type where you just look up the reference and plug into the equation.  You need to know where to look, but the Construction depth classes help in identifying these issues and where to look in the reference.

The issue with the references is the questions you need the reference for tend to be easier "lookup the code type questions" or a "simple formula" type where you just look up the reference and plug into the equation.  You need to know where to look, but the Construction depth classes help in identifying these issues and where to look in the reference.
Yes, I understand that. Thanks again.

Practice problems were key for me.
Yes. Find and work as many problems as you can...write out the solutions and equations, and then copy them (they can't be original, erasable notes) and take them in to the exam in a binder.  Not all states allow this, so check first.  This helped me a lot...When I would see problems with a similar method, I had a complete worked example with the correct equations ready to go. 

Also, for regulation questions, make sure you have the regs that are referred to in the practice exams.  Those are the ones that are important to the question makers...

Good day all,

I took my Civil PE (Construction) this past April, and was unfortunately not able to pass. I feel like I did everything - took School of PE, took an NCEES practice exam, studied all material thoroughly, revised SoPE material twice, was calm and collected during the exam, and had a very good feeling I would pass. However, seeing that "Fail" inside the red box last week crushed me really bad. Needless to say, it was not the type long weekend I had hoped it to be.

But I am over it. The best I can do is put this energy/anger/frustration to good use and start studying again. I wanted to see if I could get any insights into where I went wrong. Last year, I signed up for SoPE for the on-demand classes (they were videos from the fall PE session). I took my time with them, made sure I understood the material, and worked on problems (refresher + workshop) multiple times. The week before the PE exam, I took the latest NCEES Civil PE Construction test, and tried my best to simulate the testing atmosphere. I did well, and also realized that the mistakes on the practice exam was primarily stupid ones (distractor - type). I made a mental tattoo of not to do this and read through the entire problem before starting it on the actual test. A couple of weeks before the PE exam, I started watching the new/Spring PE videos. I found the lectures to be similar, emailed all instructors about the changes in material (Fall 2017 Vs. Spring 2018), to which I received revisions and figured I was covered.

I think where I lacked the most was that I did not purchase other practice tests and work them out. I really regret not doing this. Having said that, what practice tests do you guys recommend taking?  Also, any tips, suggestions, advises etc. would be absolutely amazing. 

Also, just an FYI - I work in the construction industry, and this depth of the CIVIL PE made the most sense. The other depth topics do not apply to my line of work, besides some random geotech, water resources, structural, etc. type of encounters here and there.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Goswami (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1517351707/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i4) and Desantis (http://www.learncivilengineering.com/)  are great practice exams! I also used the Civil Engineering Academy (https://civilengineeringacademy.com/depth-exam/) Exam-it was tough as hell but I used it and learned alot..their methods are way different then EET or SOPE, for example concrete mix designs-given this many cyd what is the weight of the cement required, but your not given batch weights or ratios  also finding an area of a cross section by coordinates (so much faster than SOPE method) -If you can get through this one I'd say you were good!

Also, you can't go wrong with EET...Samir is an amazing teacher he went above and beyond....He was the first person I e-mail when I passed!! I also took SOPE and didn't care too much for their Depth Review....breadth review with SOPE was good. I took the free repeat for the live AM review and bought EET on-demand review just for the Depth!

I passed my second time..the trick is not to study harder but study smarter..figure out your weaknesses and design (pun intended) your new study schedule around that. Get all the references and to be intimately familiar with them. 

Most of all relax on test day...fortunately/unfortunately for me I was sick the night before the exam so I didn't pick up a book and just went to bed...on exam day I was loaded with dayquil and it slowed my hear rate down and pretty much chilled the entire exam..not saying you should take a dayquil before the exam. But, I knew the second time taking the morning exam...I was good...the afternoon after my first pass of the exam... I stopped and thought..."Holy Crap! I'm going to be a PE! I know all this stuff(remaining questions..I skipped)!!"...and I passed!!

Yes and Yes.

You need all the reference material.  See if you can buy some in the yard sale forum. 

Yes, I would spring for the EET or School PE Construction Depth class.  Buying all the reference material and taking the EET Constuction Depth class are not mutually exclusive.

I know it can be expensive, but the other option could be you are a third time test taker.
I was lucky because you gave the same recommendations in the last round, for me... :party-smiley-048:

Good Day all,

As I read my post from 6 months ago, I can still feel the disappointment and sadness I felt while writing it. This time, I am happy to say that I passed my PE in the same depth (Construction). It was an exhausting couple of months leading up-to the test, but I took everyone's advice and changed the way I studied. For everyone who passed, I am happy for you. But I also feel for the people who did not pass. I wish you the best, and I am certain with the right approach, you guys will nail it next time! Here are some "lessons learned" type of points I would like to provide:

1. My significant other  always said - "you'd retain so much if you just studied in the morning". As I prepared for my first attempt, it was winter, and I had the hardest time getting up early to study. So I did all my studying in the evenings, after dinner, with a belly full of food, lethargic as ever. Needless to say my attention span was poor. In addition, the evenings always had SOMETHING come up, like a friend inviting us over for dinner, or wanting to catch a movie, etc. My suggestion is, wake up early, study, and get it out of the way. I studied every morning, and if I didn't have anything else going on, would study another hour in the evenings. I DID NOT study on Fridays and Saturdays, except for the 9 days leading up to the test.

2. I did not start studying on a rigid schedule until August of this year of the October test. I felt like I needed to take a mental break and collect myself before jumping back in.

3. I took SoPE. It definitely gave me resources, and gave me a structure to follow in my preparations. However, here are some warnings about SoPE or any other review courses for that matter:

a. If you are doing the on-demand version, make sure you understand that these videos are geared towards the previous exam. Specifications might be different for your upcoming test. I made the mistake of relying on the old on-demand videos, and unluckily, the exam specifications changed from October '17 to April '18 (I was watching videos geared for the October 2017 test takers). This caused me to not have any material/knowledge of the new specifications (besides what I could find in the CERM). It was completely my fault, I take the blame.

b. Watching videos are deceiving - you think you are "learning" by watching videos, and feel good about it. However, it is very easy to be distracted while the videos are playing. Make sure you sit down and read your notes, and practice the problems without following the problems being solved on the video. This is just not good. I did not do this, but can see someone easily being sucked into thinking they are solving problems and gaining knowledge.

c. In my second attempt, I DID NOT WATCH A SINGLE SoPE VIDEO. I printed out the update notes, and just studied it at my own pace, without any videos.

4. PRACTICE PROBLEMS - PRACTICE PROBLEMS - PRACTICE PROBLEMS: Cannot stress enough about doing as many practice problems as possible. My first attempt, just did the SoPE problems, and the latest NCEES practice test. This time, I did multiple tests - Indranil Goswami - Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams Breadth and Depth + Indranil Goswami - Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide Breadth and Depth + NCEES 2011 Practice Exam + NCEES 2008 Practice Exam + NCEES 2000 Practice Exam + Six Minute Solution + Few Test I found online. In addition to doing the problems, I made an index of problems. It was basically a two column table, one titled "FIND", second one "GIVEN". So if I knew I saw a problem somewhere, but was not sure, I would go to my index and look under "FIND" to get to the problem faster. I think I was able to find 3 problems easily doing this.

5. I made a formula sheet - Basically every formula I used, I would write it down, and would also write down where the formula is in the SoPE notes (page number). This helped me save time on flipping through SoPE notes helplessly. Instead I just had to flip through 4-5 pages per subject (Water, Geo, Structure, Construction, engineering eco, etc), find the formula, and turn to the necessary page. Also, in the past test I had individual binders each subject area (Water, Geo, Structure, Construction, engineering eco, etc) all in 1" 3 ring binders. This time, I had all of these consolidated into one 5" 3 ring binder. It just sat on the table throughout, and I didn't have to bend over to my banker box full of resources every time I wanted refer to something. Also, I had one binder for the PM portion too. This helped me save a lot of time.

6. BUY ALL REFERENCES: I did not buy all my references in my first attempt. I missed a lot of problems in the PM portion, which were basic look up questions. I probably would have passed my first attempt if I had the SP4 manual. Please do buy them. Its a lot of money, but it will save you from having to do it all over again. And you can sell if after (like I am doing right now).

7. Number your problems based on difficulty. You have probably heard this so many times, your ears are aching. It worked for me though. I modified the numbering system though. My scale was 1 (easy) , 2 (know how to do, don't know where to start or how long it will take), 2L (look up question, not sure where to find it), 3 (don't know how to do, but might be able to start it some how), 3G (take an educated guess). I started with 1s, then 2Ls, then 2s, 3s, and ultimately 3Gs. I must say the "3Gs" were added later, after knowing that I could never solve this problem without running out of time, and had to guess them.

That was pretty much the major changes I made to for my second attempt. I am sure you guys will have your own methods and ways. Feel free to pick and choose what works for you, as everyone is different.

I thank EB, and everyone here so very much. You guys played a huge part in me passing the PE this time. I will forever be grateful to everyone here, my coworkers, my family, and most importantly my significant other who sacrificed so much for me in the past year, including my early morning annoying alarms!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back